Metalcore/ melodic death metal demo (5150 line out with impulses again!)

hellraiser85

Sep 1, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
Hi!

The latter days I've been recording the first song for my new band, and here's a little sample from this song. I used the preamp output from my 5150 and aded impulses to the recorded tracks. I tried to obtain my own guitar sound, and not to emulate the sound form any band.

What do you think about guitar sound, drums, and the mix in general? Any suggestionis is wellcomed. Thanks!

Here's the link, it's the "new song demo (5150 + emg 707)":

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=790227

Sounds fantastic. Reminds me of Karnivool. Nice harmonies.

Guitar sound is killer and the mix... Tight. :) :headbang:

Good job.

What did you use to record this? Interface/ converters etc.? Sounds really analog. Nice fat bottom end, with plenty of punch, and is not overly brittle in the top end.

Love to hear your production notes.

Cheers.

Jim

Thanks for the opinion!

I used the preamp line out of mi 5150 conected directly to the imput of my sound card (realtek ac97, it's the shitty stock sound card that comes with the computer). I recorder four tracks for guitars, panned two 80% and two 100%, and I used diferent impulses for each guitar (all based in a mesa boogie 4x12 witch different mic position).
I used C4 multiband compressor to remove the excess of low end on guitars, a low cut in 60 Hz and hi cut in 12 KHz. When I mastered, I increased a bit the mids (about 1700 Hz) to give more punch and get a tighten guitar sound.

Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!

Wich inpulses?
Same 5150settings on all the guitars? 5150 settings?
No compressors on the guitars?

What do use for drums and bass?

Now... here's where everyone can rip on me. The latest buzz word on this site "implulses." For the life of me I can't figure out what the heck any of you are talking about. Although I did do some research to try to find out. Correct me if I'm "very" wrong but... Impulses consist of frequencies recorded from a live recording session saved to a digital file format. Then used to add life to direct recorded audio files. Right?

If not, please tell me what the be-jesus they are and how to actually use them.

Now... here's where everyone can rip on me. The latest buzz word on this site "implulses." For the life of me I can't figure out what the heck any of you are talking about. Although I did do some research to try to find out. Correct me if I'm "very" wrong but... Impulses consist of frequencies recorded from a live recording session saved to a digital file format. Then used to add life to direct recorded audio files. Right?

If not, please tell me what the be-jesus they are and how to actually use them.

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=14113a3891b9393ec4a9f8c61d47a8bc

This sounds f'n incredible! I wish I could get a decent sound using impulses. I have all of guitarhack's and Splat88's files, and I was using LA Convolver for Mac, but everything I tried just sounded awful, like I was going straight in to the interface from my amp without impulses or speaker sims. Anyway, good work.

This sounds f'n incredible! I wish I could get a decent sound using impulses. I have all of guitarhack's and Splat88's files, and I was using LA Convolver for Mac, but everything I tried just sounded awful, like I was going straight in to the interface from my amp without impulses or speaker sims. Anyway, good work.

Thanks for the opinion!

If your framus cobra have a preamp output, you can try to record this line out signal and experiment adding different impulses to the guitar tracks, and it is sure that you will obtain very good results. If your amp don't have this output, you could take a line output conecting a dummy load like THD hot plate to the speakes output, but I've never tried this and I don't know if it will work well...

I use different impulses to each guitar track, for this demo I used DSS3 Mesa 4x12 - SM57 Pres 8 with two guitars, and the other two with Guitarhacks Inch off Edge-1, but there's a lot of convinations that works so well as that I've used. :kickass:

Thanks for the opinion!

If your framus cobra have a preamp output, you can try to record this line out signal and experiment adding different impulses to the guitar tracks, and it is sure that you will obtain very good results. If your amp don't have this output, you could take a line output conecting a dummy load like THD hot plate to the speakes output, but I've never tried this and I don't know if it will work well...

I use different impulses to each guitar track, for this demo I used DSS3 Mesa 4x12 - SM57 Pres 8 with two guitars, and the other two with Guitarhacks Inch off Edge-1, but there's a lot of convinations that works so well as that I've used. :kickass:

So, what I was doing was running out of my preamp out and straight into my instrument input on my interface, and I had my convolution reverb on the track and I would then put different impulses in the reverb and see how everything sounded. The different impulses changed the sound a little, but nothing really sounded good to me. Should I just record a simple track with my amp straight in, and then try to process it afterwards with different impulses? Would this actually give different results as opposed to trying to find the right sound before I actually record anything? Thanks.

I went back and tried using the impulses again, and I got some really good sounds this time, but what do you guys do about latency? I didn't notice it at first, but now I can clearly tell that there is a slight lag between when I play and when the sound comes through the monitors.

yea this sounds killer dude!

I got a question though. How did you achieve the CB radio thing on vocals. I know like high pass and low pass but the little like cshhhhh sound like when the CB ends or before when they start talking. If that makes any sense but I'm just curious!

yea this sounds killer dude!

I got a question though. How did you achieve the CB radio thing on vocals. I know like high pass and low pass but the little like cshhhhh sound like when the CB ends or before when they start talking. If that makes any sense but I'm just curious!

:lol: I downloaded the sound file from emule, it's called "police radio sound effect", I only used a small piece of the sound file, and added a little delay. I can't help you with the cshhhh sound, but you always can copy and paste this small sound from this archive that you can find in emule.