Metallica complex

A band doesn't automatically go to shit just because it drifts away from metal.

True, indeed. In fact, metal bands that branch out typically get MUCH better (i.e.: Anathema, but not Metallica).

However, for reasons unclear, the previous two Opeth albums are just....dull. Dropping the silly death-vocals was an absolute necessity since they barely fit even their 90s output, but the songs just aren;t there.

In the case of Anathema, only their very early stuff was like Death Metal. Once they changed vocalist, they quickly evolved from metal to rock, before they became really popular and well known.

Opeth have just changed too drastically, too quickly, after they had already established themselves as a popular and well-known band. They've lost the heaviness so much that they really should have called it quits and started with a new name. At least with Metallica, they were still heavy, even if the sound became more cleaner and polished.

I actually just listened to "Pale Communion" for the first time after making my post yesterday, having assumed it was going to be another snooze-fest like "Heritage". It actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and could probably fit amongst my prog rock collection. But imagine if it was Metalica playing "Pale Communion"... you'd still have a metal sound with big guitars, big drums, and a metal-sounding vocalist, instead of the wet limp-wristed sound presented by Opeth.

Man I love Anathema,they've gotten better and better with age.I know some folk think they sold out or whatever but I appreciate them more with each new album.One band I would really like to see live one day,I missed them due to work when they were here recently.

Man I love Anathema,they've gotten better and better with age.I know some folk think they sold out or whatever but I appreciate them more with each new album.One band I would really like to see live one day,I missed them due to work when they were here recently.

I went to see Anathema a couple of years ago... a most excellent live experience. They were opening for Opeth which was a bonus, but Anathema was the reason I went.

i saw Anathema last year i think, and their guitarist said before one of their songs "okay this one is HEAVY AS FUCK" and then they played Deep and i started laughing.

Metallica's 21st century 'complex' is quite different to that of the 1990s. It's a bit of an opposite to bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer and Motörhead who churn out the same stuff over an over again. Metallica's tried all kinds of things like S&M, the Lou Reed collab and using garbage cans for drums. They've put spare material to use, like the Beyond Magnetic EP and the Ramones covers used as B-sides. If my musical taste had any kind of quality control, I'd probably think they were shit, but I actually look forward to hearing what the hell they do next!

I can't even comment on any of their post-90 stuff, haven't listened to any of it yet. But i do know that St. Anger is supposed to be a stinker and Death Magnetic is a somewhat "return" to their old sound, no?

they're both kinda similar really except the latter has better production and is slightly less embarrassing. they're both a return to the old sound in the most superficial way possible (they're fast and noisy... that's where the similarities end).

whatever you've heard about ST. ANGER, words can't really express what an abomination it is. the drum sound and lyrics, in particular. try this on for size:

i think there were worse songs than this but i can't bring myself to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
they're both kinda similar really except the latter has better production and is slightly less embarrassing. they're both a return to the old sound in the most superficial way possible (they're fast and noisy... that's where the similarities end).

whatever you've heard about ST. ANGER, words can't really express what an abomination it is. the drum sound and lyrics, in particular. try this on for size:

i think there were worse songs than this but i can't bring myself to check.

Wow. That was crap indeed. First song you posted was pretty shitty too. "puush it out, you push it out!!" wtf. I dont hear much, if any of their old sound in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah haha i edited to the second vid because that one's even worse. st. anger is at least catchy in an irritating sort of way.

DEATH MAGNETIC is better than this stuff but nowhere near as much as some people like to claim. still sounds like a bunch of out of touch 50somethings trying and failing to recapture the magic.

Iron Maiden
Autopsy
Billy Joel
Pink Floyd
Blind Melon
Swans

george-clooney-descenzcksg.gif

Opeth have just changed too drastically, too quickly, after they had already established themselves as a popular and well-known band. They've lost the heaviness so much that they really should have called it quits and started with a new name.

Kind of a bizarre thing to say. Just because a band goes through a style change doesn't warrant a fucking name change :err:

Kind of a bizarre thing to say. Just because a band goes through a style change doesn't warrant a fucking name change :err:

Yeah, maybe my opinion on their extreme change in direction after so long would have been more appropriate for the "controversial metal opinions" thread.