Metallica - Death Magnetic ripped!

lars during tracking, "why don't you dickheads turn up the fucking snare like i asked?"
engineer routes it through kirks distortion channel, "i turned up the volume, hows that?"
lars, "finally! you should have just done that the first time i told you, asshole!"

hmmm i think, that sounds really okay..much better than the regular Mix. It´s really sad.

Should I buy guitar hero for my xbox360 or the 5 vinly edition ?? Serious:D What sould I do ?

edit: When they´ve used a different and okay sounding master for guitar hero, then they could release the better sounding songs for download. That would be great.

Got the album on friday... song wise it is not too bad at all, I think the 3 songs they exposed before the release are 3 of the worst.
It just sounds like it was mixed by a name producer who doesn't know anything about metal. As the snare is so loud I don't want to really crank the volume, so as a result the guitars don't feel meaty enough in comparison. I'm happy enough though and it blows st anger away. Not better than the black album as some people suggest...

If I'd have produced the album (and had balls big enough) I would have said the following major points:

1) I don't care if you want a really loud "natural" sounding kit, it sounds like ass. This is what we're going for *hands Lars formation of damnation* And I'm bigger than you so there.

2) Guys. Guys. 3 or 4 long songs is cool. You're Metallica - go for it. But over 70 minutes of songs, all of them epic? We don't REALLY need that extra 15 minutes of third or fourth verses do we... We'll put those in the 'maybe pile' shall we? *sends to recycle bin*

3) Ok chaps. We've got some epicly long songs... and we've got some cool riffs. But where is the epic sections? Three part harmonies. Thats right, like the start of Battery or the end of And Justice For All. Yes, I know it's a lot less effort to write 50 riffs in pro-tools and copy and paste them together, but your massive post-Maiden middle sections of the mid to late 80's were an absolute treat on the ears.

4) James my son. Get your wife to pick up the kids, you're tracking guitars til 2am mate. What's that? Your wife is busy today? Fuck it, send Kirk. He ain't touching this record til solo time. And, yes I know you've already played that riff perfectly. Twice. We're going to do that again. And again. Layer it until it sounds like fucking SATAN.

5) Time out boys, I'm writing a letter. Dear Mr Sneap, The album is coming along nicely. Please can you re-amp these guitar tracks. I warn you in advance, there is a lot of them... but our budget is infinity billion pounds and the songs are a lot shorter and better now. Ta.

AWESOME - THIS ALBUM WINS NOW!

4) James my son. Get your wife to pick up the kids, you're tracking guitars til 2am mate. What's that? Your wife is busy today? Fuck it, send Kirk. He ain't touching this record til solo time. And, yes I know you've already played that riff perfectly. Twice. We're going to do that again. And again. Until it sounds like fucking SATAN.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got the album on friday... song wise it is not too bad at all, I think the 3 songs they exposed before the release are 3 of the worst.
It just sounds like it was mixed by a name producer who doesn't know anything about metal. As the snare is so loud I don't want to really crank the volume, so as a result the guitars don't feel meaty enough in comparison. I'm happy enough though and it blows st anger away. Not better than the black album as some people suggest...

If I'd have produced the album (and had balls big enough) I would have said the following major points:

1) I don't care if you want a really loud "natural" sounding kit, it sounds like ass. This is what we're going for *hands Lars formation of damnation* And I'm bigger than you so there.

2) Guys. Guys. 3 or 4 long songs is cool. You're Metallica - go for it. But over 70 minutes of songs, all of them epic? We don't REALLY need that extra 15 minutes of third or fourth verses do we... We'll put those in the 'maybe pile' shall we? *sends to recycle bin*

3) Ok chaps. We've got some epicly long songs... and we've got some cool riffs. But where is the epic sections? Three part harmonies. Thats right, like the start of Battery or the end of And Justice For All. Yes, I know it's a lot less effort to write 50 riffs in pro-tools and copy and paste them together, but your massive post-Maiden middle sections of the mid to late 80's were an absolute treat on the ears.

4) James my son. Get your wife to pick up the kids, you're tracking guitars til 2am mate. What's that? Your wife is busy today? Fuck it, send Kirk. He ain't touching this record til solo time. And, yes I know you've already played that riff perfectly. Twice. We're going to do that again. And again. Until it sounds like fucking SATAN.

5) Time out boys, I'm writing a letter. Dear Mr Sneap, The album is coming along nicely. Please can you re-amp these guitar tracks. I warn you in advance, there is a lot of them... but our budget is infinity billion pounds and the songs are a lot shorter and better now. Ta.

lol you´re damn right, man...:headbang:

:lol:
And Lars if you really want that sound go join Oasis.

I like the album, but it has some weak songs.
Cyanide, it´s just to much like a copy & paste riffs mess and that loadish clean picking part in it kills it.
UnforgivenIII , this song belongs on a re-reload album.
Suicide & redemption, i was expecting a stronger song than this as a Metallica and instrumental song, it just seems to go nowhere.

But i cant listen to the album, because the digital distortion,clipping and the loud snare is just too much assault on my ears.

Dito:erk:

Andy Sneap and you all Metalheads, what do you think..

Will Metallica release a re-mix of this record ? Or do you think, Metallica like the production how it is ?

Greetz,

Felix

I've heard them discuss remixing AJFA and St. Anger in interviews before, so the subject's come up. Ultimately it seems their preference is not to re-visit earlier work and just leave everything as is.

Like so many others, I am digging the songs but can't stand that annoying clipping. Why why why?? Hopefully the obvious demand for it will result in a remix and discounted re-release. Sort of like the Enemies of Reality debacle resolved by Mr. Sneap. Just wishful thinking here...

Like so many others, I am digging the songs but can't stand that annoying clipping. Why why why?? Hopefully the obvious demand for it will result in a remix and discounted re-release. Sort of like the Enemies of Reality debacle resolved by Mr. Sneap. Just wishful thinking here...

yeah...I also hope for it. It fuckin´hurts, cause their songs are the best since a long time. The "enemies of reality" thing gives hope to me..but only a small hope.

How was it in the Nevermore case..who made the decision to remix "enemies" ? I think that shows huge character. Nevermore is so fuckin´great:worship:

I don´t think, that Metallica will re-mix this album.

I don´t think, that Metallica will re-mix this album.

Absolutely no chance. With a budget like Metallica's, combined with their no-pressure time scale, they wouldn't have released the album until they were perfectly happy with it. I guess that was just the snare that Lars was going for... haha.

Judas kiss is a great tune. From memory... I think it's because Hetfield is doing his slightly more aggressive and higher pitched vocals.

How much would the album have also benefitted from some Wherever I May Roam style vocal harmonies!?

We should ALL agree on certain points (seems like most of us are on the same page regarding their current flaws and direction) and write a collective letter to Metallica telling them how to make their next album an absolute belter.

Absolutely no chance. With a budget like Metallica's, combined with their no-pressure time scale, they wouldn't have released the album until they were perfectly happy with it. I guess that was just the snare that Lars was going for... haha.

Judas kiss is a great tune. From memory... I think it's because Hetfield is doing his slightly more aggressive and higher pitched vocals.

How much would the album have also benefitted from some Wherever I May Roam style vocal harmonies!?

We should ALL agree on certain points (seems like most of us are on the same page regarding their current flaws and direction) and write a collective letter to Metallica telling them how to make their next album an absolute belter.

yeah i was just wondering myself where the vocal harmonies have gone? ocasionally it sounds like there is a harmony in there but it is super super quiet. actually that might just be my brain making me hear a harmony that should be there but isnt!

yeah i was just wondering myself where the vocal harmonies have gone? ocasionally it sounds like there is a harmony in there but it is super super quiet. actually that might just be my brain making me hear a harmony that should be there but isnt!

The backing vox are buried, even the "everyone shouting along" bits. Not any real harmonies that I can remember. There's some nice harmonies going on in the demo versions. I've taken a liking to those- the lyrics aren't as good, and Lars' playing is dodgy, but otherwise they're cool.

I dig the album, songwise. I can make it through the entire album. That's a BIG 180 from what's been going on since '88! Who the fuck mixed this thing, though? That guitar tone is thin. The vocals are dry. The drums... It's demo quality. The clipping is just, annoying as hell. Also, it seems Kirk just walked in at the end, and spent about 30 minutes wanking over the top of this. There is not one memorable lead on this album. That's just fucking sad. I can't stop spinning it though. I just can't stop playing it. That's all I wanted, really.

First post here in these particular forums, so hi all! I've been reading the forums for about a year and followed some link here recently to read a bit about Metallica's new one. So I decided to use my account for once. Even though my future input may turn out to be limited due to other forum obligations ;)

Anyway, I think that it is a shame that the album turned out to have a sound like this. I expected something quite epic soundwise, considering the new material, but a few things like the digital distortion and the snare/vocal sound really make it hard for me to start getting into the album. Which says a lot because I listen to a lot of black metal and can even appreciate the production of Darkthrone albums or Nattens Madrigal if someone knows that album by Ulver, heh.

So at first I thought that we were getting promo tracks or something because we were dealing with a professional team after all. Knowing that makes this being a deliberate choice even more weird somehow.

I didn't have much to add to the discussion I guess but I kind of needed an introduction post so here you go ;)

4) James my son. Get your wife to pick up the kids, you're tracking guitars til 2am mate. What's that? Your wife is busy today? Fuck it, send Kirk. He ain't touching this record til solo time. And, yes I know you've already played that riff perfectly. Twice. We're going to do that again. And again. Layer it until it sounds like fucking SATAN.

Quite possibly the coolest post I've read in a long time... I'd be right there backin ya up buddy!!!