Metallica - Death Magnetic

deathmagnetic.jpg

Before I begin with my review of Metallica's newest album, "Death Magnetic", let just get all the nasty, ill-willed statements out of the way so you can continue to read my review with a clear mind. So first off we know the following about the album:

1) The cover is really a cover up for one huge gaping vagina.
2) This could be St(.)Anger part duex.
3) James is now a pussy and doesn't believe in drinking, drugs, or multiple amounts of hot pussy (this according to the last video I saw where they depicted a man in his prime drinking and ending up with nameless women and feeling bad for that).
4) Lars can not drum worth a shit and is still a cocksucker.
... and lastly
5) Why the monkey crawling bassist?

O.k. now that you had a few chuckles, hehehe monkey bassist, I'll start set up for this review of what has been a highly awaited release; not because its another release by Metallica but because of the morbid curiosity to see if they could sink any lower than "St. Anger." I remembered reviewing "St. Anger" for the Ultimate Metal forums and I pretty much bashed it, not because I hated the drum sound or because the lyrics where about the most kindergarden-esc thing I've ever heard but because the album was... well... horrible on all accounts and more so. So when word came down that Metallica was recording a new album with Rick Ruben, not many people found hope in that combo, in fact the bashing began as the word "Metallica" was printed.

But, "Death Magnetic" is a different story... it is actually the complete opposite of what "St. Anger" was from a production stand point, lyrically, and from a musicianship's stand point as well. What we hear on this album is actually a "REAL" band playing, unlike in "St. Anger" where it was really just a singer/guitarist and drummer trying to find a place in the wave of current metal trends. The album actually has a VERY, and I'm not using the word lightly, power beginning with the song "That Was Your Life." The opening track is actually the "grooviest" thing I have heard from Metallica in years, maybe dating back to "Reload" or even "The Black Album." The following tracks are nothing less than Metallica covering their late 80's selves, which to some is a bad thing but to others is a good thing, where you stand is completely up to you.

What surprised me to see on the track list was "Unforgiven III", which apparently I thought was a joke but is actually a decent track. This version of the "Unforgiven" saga is probably the best predecessor to the original because of its emotional highs and lows and is probably the most "beautiful" song on the album because of its emotional honesty that the piano, strings arrangements, and structure bring. After "Unforgiven III", its full speed again, well... mid paced speed, and one thing that I noticed that note many will mention is that each song is no shorter than 7 minutes. This album is really not "radio friendly" in terms of length and I this is in part to the massive amounts of guitar solos and solo riffing sections, "The Judas Kiss" being a great example of riffing madness.

Overall, I actually enjoyed the album and this is coming from someone that was so against "St. Anger" that I completely wrote off Metallica as a band period. I can honestly say that listening to "Death Magnetic" reminds me A LOT of "... and justice and for all", something in the guitar tone or song structure was recaptured but whatever the case I can say that "Death Magnetic" is the 180 degree turn from "St. Anger" towards a good/rejuvenated band with actual spirit and lust for playing music.

So that is my point of view so love it or hate it, music is music and if it doesn't appeal to you the so be it; the beauty of music is its subjectivity.

I'm going to afford Metallica a chance and actually bother to download this...

Ed: "Death Magnetic" is not complete shit...and that is a complete surprise. The lyrics are still some of the worst I've ever heard/read, though.

The damn album is painful to hear because of the bad sound treatment.

It's a shame because the music is actually really good.

Ted Jensen who mastered "Death Magnetic" answered as follows to a guy who asked him about the painful digital distortion heard on the record :

"Thanks for writing.

I’m certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case the mixes were already brick walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice it to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me I’m not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else."

Even some media start to report that :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/17/metallica.guitar.hero.loudness.war
http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html
http://music.ign.com/articles/910/910469p1.html

I just sign that petition hoping we could maybe let the band know about that. It really plagues the album.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/re-mix-or-remaster-death-magnetic/sign.html

I like it more than Justice. (I love Justice's sound but the songs are crud IMHO).

I also don't think there's anything wrong with the mastering, at all.

Good solid album. Feels like the album that Metallica should be putting out at this point in their career instead of the various diversions that they've had over the past number of years

Not as bad as the previous few albums but still sucks.

There is just so much better music out there to listen to at this point.

I wouldn't waste my time too long listening to this album.

Just disappointing.

Here's my review of Death Magnetic. By the way, the rating is 4 1/2 out of 5, there was a mistake made when the review got posted.

REVIEW LINK

I don't think is bad, it's just a change, needles to say, Metallica is not the same as we all remember in the good thrash time, but if I have to say stm about it .. I like it, cause is better than load, reload, garage inc, st anger, it a little bit less commercial, but of course there are a couple of song i found bad...Unforgiven three?? oh please!!!! forgive him!!! hahaha..but the rest I think are fine, It's not Hetfield and Ulrich from old days, and we have to take in point that Trujillo has many bands on his side and the influence you can see it, and he puts all of him, still not a awesome album but pretty much decent from the three last. I can say Justice for all and Death Magnetic, inbetween just a hole.
More technic things I really don't know, but it's my opinion....

this is a good album. 5th best on their discography after their first 4.

I guess I gotta say, Death Magnetic Sucks. Its hell-of-a lot better that St.Anger, butI am a Puppets fan, so I guess I am not easily pleased...