Metallica = WesuckicA ?

LastOfTheJotun

Sonic Vomit
Aug 26, 2002
Tx.
Visit site
The following is a post from Lars from the studio diary via the "Jump in the studio" section of their homepage, Metallica.com.
LARS (01/29/2003 5:28:00 PM)
Not much to report today. Not much to report today??!! What the fuck kind of a site are we running here? Somebody give me some fucking information here. Oh..it is supposed to come from me/us. I forgot that part.

Boys and Girls, for helvede, welcome once again to what we in Metallica world affectionately call "CRUNCH TIME"! It's been a while since that crept up on us, actually about 3 1/2 years (since finishing up "S&M"), but the shit is flying off the wheel BIGTIME. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on the record, in between what seems like endless meetings about tours, production, art work, bass dudes...it's all a bit overwhelming, but challenging and in rare moments of not pulling out what little hair I have left, pretty fucking exciting to be doing this all over again, or rather, being fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to do it all over again.

Sorry I haven't been as forthcoming with new information as I was before the holidays, but to be totally honest with you, I'm spending most of my time in the control room trying to put the best finishing touches on the latest "floods of vomit" (hint, not the title) or, maybe that should read, sonic vomit from your friendly neighborhood San Francisco Heavy Metal Band. Right now I would love to spend the next ten sentences spewing at you about how much this is going to blow your minds, heaviest record ever made, the best thing we ever done, all that horse shit, but I know you have faith and I will just leave it at "I think you will be very, very stoked". Once again, the rest of the time is spent gearing the 'Tallica monster up for some serious EAR SPANK on the road and everything that comes in the wake of that. Hence my time to post or go online is a little more limited than before, but Kirk is down there right now finishing up some guitar riffing, so I snuck out for a quick post and some love. We will share a lot of information in the very near future, as soon as the last few bits fall in to place. I know some of you are getting a little impatient and to be honest, so am I, but we're not much for spewing info out until it's pretty well set, and not much for answering silly rumours. There will be a tidal wave coming your way soon, OK! It's called METALLICA, motherfucker. Jump in, strap yourselves down and come along for the ride if you can handle it. Love from the Metal Factory on a Wednesday afternoon, LARS.

I notice alot of the Metal community shuns Metallica, it's not difficult to notice why. My question is, are there any remaining last hopes among the remaining fans of Metallica (if any exist on tihs board!), regarding the anticipation of the latest record? Lars mentions it's the "heaviest" album to date and that it will make mudvayne sound like Celine Dion. Is this album going to serve as a sort of make or break record in what you guys think of them as far as being a real metal band anymore, or a chance for them to redeem themselves in hardcore fans eyes as being the Metal Gods they were once revered as?

I think Metallica will hold a significant part of history as to what they contributed to the Metal world, but I also think the cheese started falling off their cracker after the black album, weather by the test of time or their "experimental, we're metallica we play whatever we want, when we want," mentality. To me, if this album is another load session,...I fear they will have stained their reputation forever. But if it does in fact show a flash of their past genius,...alot of Metallica nay sayers just may return as fans.

I don't hold a grudge against Metallica. They can do whatever they want to do and if their reputation gets stained, so be it. They are musicians, if they don't want to make metal they have the right to so. Back to the point:

I highly doubt Metallica will play metal (99.9% sure to be exact) the new album may be a little bit heavier, but not metal. If they return back to their metal roots that would be good, but there are lots of bands that deserve my attention more than Metallica.

I do agree that they have a right to play what they want, and I actually like most of the Load/Reload albums(although they don't hold a candle to Master Of Puppets or ...And Justice for All for me!) but it would be great if they got back to their thrashier roots! I guess we'll have to wait and see...I'm more pissed about the fact that I have heard they might be touring with piss ant bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit....Unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I would only be going for Metallica anyway, so I guess that just means more party time before the show! I am very interested in hearing the new stuff and am positive it will be closer to the Justice era sound than alot of people might think...

I seriously doubt that this album will be anything special or even good for that matter. Yes they can play their insturments but they lost something. They are already stained to me. Will I listen to this new album? If someone near me is playin it then I guess I will have to listen. Other than that I dont see myself wasting time or money on RELOADED-REVISTED.

As shitty as watered down as Metallica have been for the last few years..they did give us Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice...I personally do not feel they will return to their former roots what so ever or release a metal album. I will completely disregard the record if Ja Rule is on it like I've been hearing.

I, as a "all era's" Metallica fan, will NOT give them a dime to see them live if they do in fact tour with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. Frankly, I'm appalled at that move. I can handle Metallica's image/music change - hell, I embraced it eventually - but I cannot accept this nu-metal concession.

This is akin to them touring circa '84-'88 with fucking Poison or some homo Sunset Strip glam band. This is just fucking....asinine!! And again, I love Metallica - matter of fact, I'm a fan of about 90% of their songs! But this...this is....fuck!

The way I see Metallica... they made four fucking masterpiece metal albums, and were the fucking metal gods of the 80s... then, they changed their sound, image, and completely lost all respect from me and many metal fans, except for still enjoying their first four albums... I agree with Ultimate Symphony, I don't care if they make another good metal album, there are bands that deserve a lot more attention from the metal community than Metallica...

Originally posted by Soilent Goat
I will completely disregard the record if Ja Rule is on it like I've been hearing.

That's bullshit. They collaborated with Swizz Beatz and he asked Ja Rule to do vocals in the song. That song is damn old already.

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
That's bullshit. They collaborated with Swizz Beatz and he asked Ja Rule to do vocals in the song. That song is damn old already.

Well thats good to hear....I still don't think this album will be worth a fuck, regardless.

Originally posted by Vienyard
I, as a "all era's" Metallica fan, will NOT give them a dime to see them live if they do in fact tour with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. Frankly, I'm appalled at that move. I can handle Metallica's image/music change - hell, I embraced it eventually - but I cannot accept this nu-metal concession.

This is akin to them touring circa '84-'88 with fucking Poison or some homo Sunset Strip glam band. This is just fucking....asinine!! And again, I love Metallica - matter of fact, I'm a fan of about 90% of their songs! But this...this is....fuck!

Yeah that is total fucking bullshit...Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park...but hell I mean a couple of years ago it was korn and kid rock..so how can anyone be surprised..

Originally posted by Soilent Goat
Yeah that is total fucking bullshit...Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park...but hell I mean a couple of years ago it was korn and kid rock..so how can anyone be surprised..

Yeah, I guess youre right. The writing's been on the wall for quite some time now. It still irks me, however.

Y'know, it'd be one thing if their sales and profile were seriously sagging and they needed to add a young upstart to the bill to boost attendance and their prominence, but, thats clearly not the case. No matter what Tallica records, it will go platinum, even if us extreme metal diehards have all but abandoned them. I just dont get this move. I seem to remember Lars talking shit about Durst a few years back, but either my memory is off, or theyre now butt buddies.

Wow, it's amazing that it was nearly 10 years ago they toured with Danzig and Suicidal. That was the last time I remember them having a halfway decent bill, other than a fest.

If it's good & heavy, I'll buy it. If they tour with Limp or Linkin, I won't go. I definitely agree with the fact that there are many metal acts out there more deserved of my attention than Metallica.

Originally posted by Vienyard

I don't think it's such a big deal, but i'm sure as fuck that I won't waste a dime on a tour like that :puke:

Metallica can do whatever they like, and have the right to. I don't expect the new album to be brilliant, but perhaps better than their last two efforts. I'll probably check it out.