metallica

Honestly? I think they just did what they wanted to do. I didn't purchase anything after ....And Justice, but I'm not one of these people who craps on them. I really think that they are just making the records they like. I don't like 'em much, but that's me. I do like St. Anger, despite the extremely unpopular opinion that is. It's my feeling that a great many of the people who didn't like it were just so deep into Metallica hating territory that there was no way they would ever like it. I thought the mix of stripped production went well with the overall rehab theme that James couldn't keep out of the lyrics. It does have good riffs, and it is heavy. Songs like Dirty Window are as good as anything they've done. Much...muuuuuuch different, yes. But not bad.

Just my 2 cents. I don't believe the whole sellout thing. That's a crock of shit. I find it hard to imagine that there are a bunch of rock stars out there sitting in their mansions, rubbing their hands together in an evil fashion and saying, "how can I make a leeeeetle more money....bwahahaha." But then, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist.

None if this is taking issue with your post. Only that people are people, it ain't all black and white, and there ain't nothing in this world to sell out too, or from, or whatever in the first place. I honestly don't know what sellout means anymore. If it means that a band is limited to making music within a range of soundscapes that their fans find acceptable, that's just lame. It doesn't even make sense.

Dodens Grav said:

Amen to that!!

I hear their newer stuff still to this day and live in denial....I have tried and tried to listen and enjoy. Its impossible.

Shut out the lights, the party is definately over.

On that note..

BRING BACK TOXIK!!!

Money and lack of character. Any band can evolve or change the sound any given time, is their right as artists. But when you move so evidently with the flow of cash and popularity is not about art anymore is selling out.

Metallica died in 1988 may they rest in peace...cause the fans can't!:devil:

Helloween - 'The Invisible Man'

Funny, kinda emo-like.

One person craps on how about how they don't like the 'new' album, it's crap and what not, then others take that opinion and use it as there own.. remind you of anything..? Youths and their fashions..?

My two cents.

YenomTheDark said:
Another opinion no doubt influenced by others.. I'd love to have people doing tributes to any songs that I take part in/or create.

Please stop attacking people on a personal level. This is an official warning.

Look at our rules:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192052

Next time you personally attack one of our members your message will be deleted.

Hawk
UMOS Moderator

I remember an old interview where Lars said that the good thing on Metallica is, that they can do whatever they want with the band. Well, I don´t think so! From one of the greatest bands ever to an average Punk Rock band, nice done Lars. :-(
PS: Does anyone know who was responsible for the drum sound on St.Anger?

Wyvern said:
Money and lack of character. Any band can evolve or change the sound any given time, is their right as artists. But when you move so evidently with the flow of cash and popularity is not about art anymore is selling out.

Metallica died in 1988 may they rest in peace...cause the fans can't!:devil:

Helloween - 'The Invisible Man'

They died in 1986 with Clifford's death... when AJFA came out i knew what direction they were heading and wasn't surprised when Black and the rest of the albums came out what the sound would be.. more commercial and less thrash... that's when i lost respect for them... and never lost respect for bands like Megadeth (though the albums after R.I.P. sucked), maiden, slayer etc...

Metallica are finished now no doubt. Ever since re-load they have sucked and saint anger didn't work either. They have lost all their personality.

Metallica have left the the building!

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
They died in 1986 with Clifford's death

Extreme! :worship:

I still dig AJFA but as I stated in another thread 'One' was a bad omen and turned to be truth :erk:

But as paddy said we still have the classics to enjoy ;)

NP: Shaaman - 'Trail Of Tears'

At least Metallica came to my city in Australia on the Justice tour, I thank them for that and every release before AJFA.

As to what went wrong - as stated previously - no Cliff at the helm plus death can really mess with peoples heads, steer your life in a different direction, perhaps worrying about the future and money even? I fail to see how such a brilliant thrash band can drastically change so much in one album:ill:

Priest of Evil said:
At least Metallica came to my city in Australia on the Justice tour, I thank them for that and every release before AJFA.

As to what went wrong - as stated previously - no Cliff at the helm plus death can really mess with peoples heads, steer your life in a different direction, perhaps worrying about the future and money even? I fail to see how such a brilliant thrash band can drastically change so much in one album:ill:
all what you say is very true and its good to hear from a aussie metal fan:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :D :D

ElectricWiz said:
Just my 2 cents. I don't believe the whole sellout thing. That's a crock of shit. I find it hard to imagine that there are a bunch of rock stars out there sitting in their mansions, rubbing their hands together in an evil fashion and saying, "how can I make a leeeeetle more money....bwahahaha." But then, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you here Wiz. In part, anyway.

St. Anger was most certainly designed to fit the masses of today. The production and style prove that: shitty carboard drum tone, no guitar solos (thanks alot Lars, you ignorant fucking poser), nu-metalish guitar riffs and tone. I really gave that album a chance, but I can't stand listening to it. It sounds like everything else I hear on metal radio and MTV2. That wasn't by accident. It was part of the album deal.

But I do agree with your statement that this is the direction the band wants to go. Lars All-rich showed that in Some Kind of Monster. When he yelled at Kirk Hammet because he wanted to put a guitar solo in a song, it proved your theory right there. Lars and James were more than happy to cater to what was popular and they control the band. Kirk should have followed Jason's lead and walked away.

NP: Bitch - Damnation Alley EP

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
When he yelled at Kirk Hammet because he wanted to put a guitar solo in a song, it proved your theory right there. Lars and James were more than happy to cater to what was popular and they control the band. Kirk should have followed Jason's lead and walked away.

Kirk seemed the most normal out of the bunch to me in SKOM...
And I don't think Metallica died with AJFA, that album has some of their strongest tunes. As for 'One', sure - it has a mellow part, then goes into thrashy bashing to the end. Then again, weren't Fade To Black and Welcome Home arranged the same way? The whole difference is that they had no exposure through a video...

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
But I do agree with your statement that this is the direction the band wants to go. Lars All-rich showed that in Some Kind of Monster. When he yelled at Kirk Hammet because he wanted to put a guitar solo in a song, it proved your theory right there. Lars and James were more than happy to cater to what was popular and they control the band. Kirk should have followed Jason's lead and walked away.

Kirk has turned into a complete doormat to Lars and Hetfield. He could leave the band and based on his fame I'm sure he could play in another. But I'm not sure at all that he has the drive or the songwriting chops or .... at this point in his career .... the raw talent to form his own band. I think all the fire is gone from Hammet's playing. He's phoning it in.

SickBoy said:
As for 'One', sure - it has a mellow part, then goes into thrashy bashing to the end. Then again, weren't Fade To Black and Welcome Home arranged the same way? The whole difference is that they had no exposure through a video...

Dunno SB, I have questioned the same time and again. Still has to be personal perception. I can go through slow/mid tempo Metallica songs of the early era and I have no problem with the songs. But 'One' only survives becuase of the last thrashing part, the way it starts really makes feel uneasy inside that album.

As for the video it doesn't bother me, I know many fans who yelled betrayal when they did a video after sware never to do one, not me I couldn't care less since I had MTV for a short period of my life and besides old Headbangers ball never paid attention. I had as a matter of fact a big video era but what mostly a way to know bands. Nowdays with Internet I feel no need for video and thus I seldom got into DVD.

NP: Ayreon - 'Another Time, Another Space'