Micing a 4x12 with an attenuated amp

CyaeghaSteve

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2017
Does anyone record this way? I’ve been using my Torpedo Reload along with the Wall of Sound plugin as my primary method for recording guitars for a while now since my 4x12 isn’t exactly an option in my condo. I was curious how different it would sound if I mic’d up my 4x12 with an SM-57 with the attenuator engaged on my Reload and record that way, as opposed to micing it at full volume. My 4x12 is currently sitting at my practice spot, which is why I can’t test this myself at the moment.

Thanks!

It seems that your posts these days are related to things I own or have tested...

We have recorded using a mic in front of a cab, with an attenuator. The attenuator that was used was a Rivera RockCrusher (the version without the multiple band EQ).

It works ok, but you won't get the "Real" tone of your rig. For example:

We were recording a Dual Rectifier + Mesa OS Cab + SM57. Bypassing the Rivera, we set the Output of the Rectifier to get a decent sound. I mean, it was obviously too loud to do a complete jam session with that volume, but for a short test, we were not going to bother too many people. So, that being said, we recorded that test.

After that, we set the Rivera and tried multiple attenuation settings (-4, -8, all the way to the max, which is -20dB I think). For each test, we were adjusting the Output of the Rectifier to bring it back to a relative volume that was the same as our original recording.

And finally, we tested the attenuation with lower volumes. Meaning that we were still having a decent output level on the Rectifier, but the volume itself wasn't so loud. Like, we didn't need earplugs.

Conclusion: The best tone was the original one. At loud volumes, you get some speaker phenomenom that I can't explain, but it does something. It's not just a question of heating up the tubes. You also want some speaker movement I think.

Depending on the amount of attenuation, you affect the tone a lot, or not a lot. The more you attenuate, even if you keep cranking the output, you start to lose bottom and high end. You can flick the switches on the Rivera to compensate for that loss, and it does help a lot, but then you have "affected" your tone. Like it's not exactly how it is supposed to be.

And finally, if you attenuate a lot without turning up the output, for example to be able to record at bedroom volume, then you get a relatively completely different tone. Because of one: the modified attenuated tone, and two: the speaker won't behave the same.

So ya, that's about it.

Mind you, all of those tones were good. As I was saying, the "original" (bypassed Rivera) was the best one, but the other ones were very decent, that is for sure. I would definitely recommend trying it instead of IRs. You'd get your own sound and will be able to experiment.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks man. The good thing is that I won’t have to go into debt or anything to test this setup. I assumed there would be some tone loss. One thing I have noticed when it comes to IRs is that at times they seem to sound a bit thin. I figured this method would be worth testing.

Speakers breakup and are relatively nonlinear, same with mics. You can get cool tones with a loud amp, same with a quiet amp. Mickrich did a test where he went from super quiet (not attenuated) to crazy loud on a 5150. May lookup his youtube channel, trackmix studio

Thanks guys. Here's my first take of reamping at bedroom volumes with an attenuated amp:

sm57 on a v30 4x12