Mid Range Madness ...Guitars

Harrison West

Recording Enthusiast
May 13, 2010
Chicago
www.myspace.com
Ive got this mix sitting pretty well and sounding really good in the car for the most part. Im trying to use the good surgical EQ method and cut away problem areas on the guitars but I cant figure out what to do with the midrange.

Ive been trying to compare it to the newer TCM cd.

How do you all blend your guitars in your mix?
Any scooping? Saturation? Bass levels? any other good plug ins besides c4?
Ive tried Waves EKramer and JJP for guitar processing and I didnt like it.

Podfarm>EQ>S1>L1 is what im running now. With MS mastering.

http://soundcloud.com/harrisonvokills/send-you-away

you can skip past all the bs in the intro its open for vocals. I wouldnt have posted this without hours of reading through threads. I just need some of your advice, thanks!

It sounds to me like you could pan or widen the guitars a bit more, they don't sound awfully stereo to my ears, but it could be my cans. I think the guitars sound pretty good, if anything maybe boost the 700-800hz just a little bit.

Sounds pretty good dude. I'm jealous of how you guys get the bass and guitars to glue together so well. No matter what I do I can never get it all the way there.

Hmm, I think the guitar tone is pretty good, but there's definitely something going on with the mids.

Could be a pickup issue, I would try C4 from 600-1600hz see if that helps!

Dude you have some serious talent. Yes, production is great - but your songwriting is insanely good. Is this just you or a band you're in?

-Jonathan

hey man i listen to your songs everday they are amazing im in awe of your produuction i was just wondering if you maybe help me out man and send me your guitar tone you use that would b life changing for me if you could man and tell me wat do u use for drums cheers man appreciate heaps

sounds pretty good! i know what u meant about the low mids, the only thing i would suggest as well, is C4. Whats ur podfarm amp/cab combo look like? i realy like the tone.

Well, you're definitly on another level of producing as me... I would kill to get sound like this out of podfarm. The intro was awesome too. Please keep us up to date with this mix, because I want to hear the final product pretty bad. (Could be one of my next favorite bands)

Btw, what amp in podfarm did you use in this mix ? ...please dont say cali diamond with the treadplate cab. :DD