Mikael Åkerfeldt, Steven Wilson, Mike Portnoy

Portnoy is overated because 50% of drum noobs are considerating him the best drummer in the world. But he's actually in the upper class. It's kinda the same thing for joey jordison who is the most seeing metal drummer. He's the god of the metal noobs. Portnoy is actually a fantastic drummer. He's original, complex but he's not the fastest. He's in drummerworld all-of-fame and no one should complain about this.

"You want to know why Sweden won the gold medal in hockey? Because I wasn't playing." - Mikael Akerfeldt

hey, where does this come from?
did he say it during a concert?

sorry for the OT :D

yea, he said this at the October show I went to in London Ontario. A great night with Dark tranquility, Devin Townsend band, and Opeth. Mike was quite chatty that night, despite the fact that during the first song when someone threw a whole bottle worth of water all over him. He didn't even flinch which was the funny part.. It was after the song that he commented on it..

I'd die to see this happen
Well, if you were dead you wouldn't really see it. :loco:

If this collaboration finally happens I'd be pretty stoked to hear it. I also second the idea of HevyDevy producing Opeth's next album. It'd be pretty fucking cool to hear the fullness of his production with Opeth's sound.

Wait, Devin doesn't actually mix does he? Because I hate the sound of his mixes... those drums... ugh. It definitely suits his music (which I love) but god, that with Opeth????

On the other hand, a wall of sound technique, mixed by SW?

I hope this project turns out ok. Stevens own music bores the hell out of me now, but I think he does a good job with production.

This would be awesome if they did this. I saw Portnoy drum 2 days ago at the g3tour for Petrucci. He is amazing. I will definitely be looking forward to this trio :)

Mixing their styles would be a hard task though...Anyone have any recommendations of WHICH styles they should mix??
Im going with the intensity of demon of the fall mixed w/ love? by SYL's catchiness

Yeah, what you guys think it will sound like? And try to avoid the 'Steven Wilson = Porcupine Tree-sound'-commentaries.

Personally, I have no idea. Just know it can be really great. My only guess is that there probably won't be just 'one sound'. Maybe something heavy, maybe something calm, and so on. I mean, every song doesn't have sound the same.

Wait, Devin doesn't actually mix does he? Because I hate the sound of his mixes... those drums... ugh. It definitely suits his music (which I love) but god, that with Opeth????

On the other hand, a wall of sound technique, mixed by SW?

I hope this project turns out ok. Stevens own music bores the hell out of me now, but I think he does a good job with production.

Steven's music bore you?! :zombie:

But yes, you've got the other part right, he does quite the excellent job with production.