Mikael Åkerfeldt, Steven Wilson, Mike Portnoy

Im catchin what your throwin down...
Maybe its just that no two PT songs sound the same to me.
I feel that people of all ages should at least like a few songs
Agreed?

why? you cant force anyone to like something if they aren't interested. It would be nice if the world were like that but unfortunately it isn't. Don't bother yourself with it.

I didn't bother reading through all of these pages of bullshit but I just wanted to say that if, for some reason, these 3 bands went on tour together, that I would go see them in a heartbeat.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1555478/20070323/porcupine_tree.jhtml

An interview with Steven Wilson.

"Perhaps one of the most-anticipated albums for fans of both the Tree and Opeth has to be Wilson's side-project with Opeth main man Mikael Åkerfeldt, which should surface sometime in 2008, he said.

"We've been talking about this literally since the day we met," Wilson explained. "The original idea was to collaborate together on something else, but since then both bands have been becoming more and more successful. We kind of got immersed in our own projects, and we've never really found the time to get together and follow through on what we'd discussed. In the meantime, the rumors have gotten around that we were planning to do something. Realistically, it is going to happen, but it won't happen until next year. We've written some songs, and that's about as far as we've got so far.

"I just hope it can live up to [people's] expectations," he continued. "I think there's always this sense that this whole idea of supergroups is sometimes one that can disappoint, because people always expect it's going to be Opeth plus Porcupine Tree, so it's going to be twice as good as either band on its own. I think it will be something a bit different, and I think it will be something good. I just hope the expectations aren't too enormous."

I feel that people of all ages should at least like a few songs
Agreed?
Seriously, though, you've gotta at least like one song, or a riff even
what the...? this is so silly. I completely and bitterly disagree and think you're deranged, drooling fanatics who lost their minds long ago

but in all seriousness, really, I mean I understand you're creepily into everything that has to do with Steven Wilson, but he is not God's gift to music, dig? PT is good, but not great. it's like you don't think it's feasible that PT could be disliked, and I feel a bit embarrassed for anyone in such a predicament, because I'd hope if someone had to be that passionate and in denial about a band it'd be a more worthwhile/important one than PT

but that's just my 2 cents. would it help if I said I'm looking forward to Fear of a Blank Planet? because I already feel the hate brewing and the retaliation for this post coming

love,
Seance
xoxoxoxoo

what the...? this is so silly. I completely and bitterly disagree and think you're deranged, drooling fanatics who lost their minds long ago

but in all seriousness, really, I mean I understand you're creepily into everything that has to do with Steven Wilson, but he is not God's gift to music, dig? PT is good, but not great. it's like you don't think it's feasible that PT could be disliked, and I feel a bit embarrassed for anyone in such a predicament, because I'd hope if someone had to be that passionate and in denial about a band it'd be a more worthwhile/important one than PT

but that's just my 2 cents. would it help if I said I'm looking forward to Fear of a Blank Planet? because I already feel the hate brewing and the retaliation for this post coming

love,
Seance
xoxoxoxoo

Good post well done. Very well put. May i just ask you to listen to the band properly, if you haven't already done so, before you dismiss them.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1555478/20070323/porcupine_tree.jhtml

An interview with Steven Wilson.

"Perhaps one of the most-anticipated albums for fans of both the Tree and Opeth has to be Wilson's side-project with Opeth main man Mikael Åkerfeldt, which should surface sometime in 2008, he said.

"We've been talking about this literally since the day we met," Wilson explained. "The original idea was to collaborate together on something else, but since then both bands have been becoming more and more successful. We kind of got immersed in our own projects, and we've never really found the time to get together and follow through on what we'd discussed. In the meantime, the rumors have gotten around that we were planning to do something. Realistically, it is going to happen, but it won't happen until next year. We've written some songs, and that's about as far as we've got so far.

"I just hope it can live up to [people's] expectations," he continued. "I think there's always this sense that this whole idea of supergroups is sometimes one that can disappoint, because people always expect it's going to be Opeth plus Porcupine Tree, so it's going to be twice as good as either band on its own. I think it will be something a bit different, and I think it will be something good. I just hope the expectations aren't too enormous."

Ok, sweet. 2008 sounds good.

Given the subject matter of Porcupine Tree's next album, I love that there's a Steve Wilson interview on mtv.com.

Nobody's getting mad at you for not liking Porcupine Tree...he's just expressing disbelief, which I share, that anybody could not even like one song, riff or melody from PT. They ARE catchy as hell.

Good luck with ranking bands on how "worthwhile" or "important" they are too....best way to get caught in pointless internet arguing, I've found.

Just dont understand how anyone cannot like Porcupine.

I have 7 or 8 of their albums. But after listening to them for a while, I can honestly say that a lot of their compositions aren't that great, or well written. And whilst they have amazing moments, and some very good songs, for the most part, the music is boring. Too many recycled riffs etc.

I was looking foward to FOABP but after hearing those 2 songs, I really am not. The lyrics are absolutely terrible.

I don't get this whole SW obsession thing. It's quite lame. That PT message board is fucking horrible.