Mikaels growl....

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
OK, this question has probably been answered before many times, but since ive never found the thread that has, i'll just ask now: Why does mikael change his growl style after morningrise?

Because he wanted to...? Seems like a bit of a wasted question to me. It's also a matter of the production changing and them starting to layer vocals... just another aesthetic change to match the change in music.

could be a voice saving thing- it's possible still to have a melodic clean voice, and hit high notes, after half an hour of death growling, but those higher black metal shrieks kill ur throat to a greater degree, and continuing down that path would have wasted his clean voice to nothing. and we wouldn't have had damnation! *gets sad*

Before Orchid, he fucked up and got 17 mexican guys to bukkake on his face. Before MAYH he found a bunch of black dudes and got it right.

Just think about Dani Filths ( :yuk: ) br00tal voice, and how fucked up it is to the point of not being to speak normal anymore.

Once, my gf and some friends met the band before a show, and the bandmembers were all saying "Hi, nice meeting you" and Dani was like "kkksh grrshk sssh kkshrg" meaning "hope you'll enjoy the show."

I posted about growling in the other thread and everybody was saying how great Mike is. He's good. I'm not arguing that but some of these other vocalist really push themsleves to sound truly awful or (demonic) if youre into that sort of thing. Mike is smart for not going over the top and hurting his voice. The only problem with that is he does not sound as brutal as some of the death vocalists.

i heard dani filth had something stupid done, an operation to like remove half his vocal chords or summat, thinking that would push his voice over into sounding like hell. in one sense he got what he asked for...

Jon Snow said:
Satan told him that his vox weren't evil enough.
it was while he was out in the desert for 40 days. the bible doesn't tell it right, he and satan were kickin' it with coronas in mexico, surfing and discussing vocal techniques. satan taught him to do the brootal low growls.

has nothing to do with saving his voice...he still screams live. He just wanted to pull away from the style of Orchid and Morningrise. He still screams on My arms your hearse anyway...notably April Ethereal

Dreadful said:
has nothing to do with saving his voice...he still screams live. He just wanted to pull away from the style of Orchid and Morningrise. He still screams on My arms your hearse anyway...notably April Ethereal

Yeah, i saw that on an interview once, but i always thought he meant the guitar style....