Mikael Stanne's vocals pre-character

serbusfish

Madman with a Box
May 12, 2011
UK
www.youtube.com
Havent come across anyone discussing this so thought i'd make a thread. Is it just me who thinks Mikael Stanne's vocals arent as good after Damage Done? He used to use that awesome low growl, since Character he's used a more higher end raspy growl, which to me doesnt sound as good. I still enjoy all the albums but am always left thinking the songs would be even better with his old vocal style. Anyone else agree?

Honestly? I was not a fan of Character, period. I think it was their second weakest album, after Projector. But Projector seems, in retrospect, to have been a really important learning and growing experience musically for the band. I just don't see why I should listen to Character, when I can listen to Fiction. It was a flat album. I think his vocal performance was significantly better on Fiction and WATV.

I don't know if I would separate Stanne Character and pre-Character, because his vocals were not too different on Damage Done (which was a much better album, imo). The real distinction is pre-Projector / Haven and the albums afterwards. In that regards, I still feel the Gallery is by far the band's best overall work, including vocals. Haven comes close for me, though.

I admit I havent given Character much of a listen, but I thought his vocals were different on it compared to Damage Done. In any case compare his vocals on say, 'Final Resistance' to 'Nothing to No One'. For me Final Resistance vocals are miles better.

They've changed, but not substantially. If you listen to In Flames' Lunar Strain album, he's using a higher pitch than most Dark Tranquillity stuff. I have no issues with it. I feel their last three albums have been amazing and solid from top to bottom.

I think on Character, Mikael tried to sound more like he did on Gallery and Mind's I. While he sounds great on Damage Done, I found his voice to lack emotion on that album, so I think going for that raspy growl was a good idea. From the recent albums, WATW has Mikael at the top of his game in my opinion.

Havent come across anyone discussing this so thought i'd make a thread. Is it just me who thinks Mikael Stanne's vocals arent as good after Damage Done? He used to use that awesome low growl, since Character he's used a more higher end raspy growl, which to me doesnt sound as good. I still enjoy all the albums but am always left thinking the songs would be even better with his old vocal style. Anyone else agree?

Not at all, there isn't a huge difference in the vocals of DD and Character. I'd say there's more difference between Projector and Haven (d'oh), and even Fiction and WAtV.

Honestly? I was not a fan of Character, period. I think it was their second weakest album, after Projector. But Projector seems, in retrospect, to have been a really important learning and growing experience musically for the band. I just don't see why I should listen to Character, when I can listen to Fiction. It was a flat album. I think his vocal performance was significantly better on Fiction and WATV.

I don't know if I would separate Stanne Character and pre-Character, because his vocals were not too different on Damage Done (which was a much better album, imo). The real distinction is pre-Projector / Haven and the albums afterwards. In that regards, I still feel the Gallery is by far the band's best overall work, including vocals. Haven comes close for me, though.

I think Character is a great album, and I still listen to it on a regular basis. Projector is one of their best, no doubt about that. But that's for the "best DT album thread".
Concerning vocals, the best are, without doubt, in Projector. He can get any tone, convey any feeling he wants. He goes from the incredibly-melancholic ones of Auctioned, to the aggressive ones of The Sun Fired Blanks. Damage Done are second best to me (Haven comes pretty close) because of the force and the violence that are in them.

I think he didnt got worse after DD... just listen him in We Are The Void... he is at his best point and doing some killer vocals... i agree with Defiance, the difference between DD & Character is not that wide, in my opinion he has always done a great work AND a killer one after DD indeed... still it's just my opinion ;)