Mike and G3

What's with all the Satch hate? Surfing, Crystal Planet, Strange Beautiful Music... even his new one, are all great albums. I find him to be a very tasteful player in a world where most other guitar virtuoso types are mindlessly shredding.

What's with all the Satch hate? Surfing, Crystal Planet, Strange Beautiful Music... even his new one, are all great albums. I find him to be a very tasteful player in a world where most other guitar virtuoso types are mindlessly shredding.

Spoken like a true bassist! (j/k! :))
It's not Satch hate, it's more like Satch boredom. Surfing shouldn't even be in the same sentence with those other releases mentioned! :heh: I even liked his debut more than anything he's put out in recent memory. I think it comes down to whether or not one is still "hungry" as a guitar player, or whether or not they've found a comfort zone and have stayed in it. Victims of this malady include Satch, Vai (to some extent), & Eric Johnson. All three examples just ripped on their first couple/few recordings, and seem to have settled into a safety zone chock full of "meh!". I still like & listen to all three, but more their older material than anything else.

I still think Vai does some interesting things. Real Illusions was excellent. My favorite, though, is Fire Garden. Dyin' Day and The Crying Machine still give me goosebumps even after all of these years.

I still think Vai does some interesting things. Real Illusions was excellent. My favorite, though, is Fire Garden. Dyin' Day and The Crying Machine still give me goosebumps even after all of these years.

Definately a step in the right direction, & I too, enjoy the hell out of Fire Garden....