Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater

Couldn't believe this news when i heard it. I'll be interested to see what happens next. I think DT have got the Lost Horizon problem 'how do you replace the best and one of the core elements of your band?! answer = 6 years and counting.... looks like MP will get the break afterall :p

Good.

I applaud Portnoy for doing what he wants. I commend the man for taking on as many tasks as he does.

However, I can't believe the way he's acted since leaving Dream Theater. Let's see, he once removed discussion of James LaBrie's touring from his own message board, assumed that his bandmates were attacking him, tried to get everyone to feel sorry for him by insinuating that the other Dream Theater members were being assholes by going on without him (even though that was the plan from the very beginning), and he used what was supposed to be his relaxation period to go tour with numerous other bands. And lately from the way his tweets have been implying, he's been nothing but a sadsack.

I think he's come to grips with the reality of just how bad a decision he made when he decided to leave Dream Theater. Now he's not with any one group, Dream Theater is still going in the studio without him in January, and they've already found a replacement.

It sucks for Portnoy, but honestly, I think he's done nothing but bring it all on himself, and I can't say he's been the most professional concerning how he's handled it.

DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci recently took on a Roadrunner Records year-end Q&A. Check it out below.

Q: What was your personal theme song this year and why?

Petrucci: "'I Will Survive' (for obvious reasons!)."

Q: What’s the most embarrassing or funny thing that happened on tour this year? Tell us the story!

Petrucci: "While on tour with IRON MAIDEN this summer, during our set, Mike Portnoy decided to go off on a medley of Maiden covers which I would normally be able to hang with in my sleep since I know just about every song. Unfortunately however, in all the excitement I forgot the fact that the guitar I was playing was in a drop D tuning and I just butchered one song after another! Turns out unbeknownst to me that Adrian Smith was standing right beside me the entire time. Oh well, it's not like it was in front of an Iron Maiden crowd or anything!"

Q: What’s the biggest lesson you learned this year?

Petrucci: "Don't let your drummer fill in for another band."

Q: What’s the coolest thing you discovered this year?

Petrucci: "I've mastered the art of smoking meat."

Q: What’s your new year’s resolution?

Petrucci: "To use all my creative resources in making the next DT album and tour the best possible and to be more connected with our fans."

As previously reported, Petrucci recently addressed the band's parting of ways with drummer Mike Portnoy during an interview with UK-based Classic Rock's Prog Magazine for the latest issue:

Petrucci: "You know, I've played with Mike for so long and we have done so many things together that at some point we will play together again, and we told each other that. It would be ridiculous to think that we won't play together again. That's kind of silly. Whether it's in Dream Theater or something else or we reunite down the line, who knows? If that's the way the planets align and things work out in both of our lives, then I'm certainly open to that. But in the meantime, I think we owe it to ourselves to carry on with focus and intention. Right now, we have to find an ass-kicking drummer…"

Drummer MARCO MINNEMANN Rumored To Have Joined DREAM THEATER - Dec. 28, 2010

40-year-old international drumming sensation Marco Minnemann (KREATOR, NECROPHAGIST) is strongly rumored to have joined DREAM THEATER as the replacement for the recently departed Mike Portnoy.

In a posting on his official web site, DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci stated about the group's drummer search, "Auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!"

Video footage of DREAM THEATER keyboardist Jordan Rudess performing with Minneman at the December 15, 2010 BandCrashers.com event from Chicago's Plant 10 Studios can be viewed at this location.

German native Minnemann — who currently resides in San Diego, California — is looked upon by his peers as one of the most gifted, innovative, cutting-edge drummers on the international music scene today. He has won numerous awards for his educational drum books and videos and was featured on the cover of the world's leading drum magazine, Modern Drummer. Minnemann's unusual drum kit setup, which includes an array of multiple foot pedals, gong drum, electronics and unique cymbal configurations, combined with his amazing, extreme interdependence skills has propelled him to superstar status among today's elite drumming royalty. His total command of four-way independence is unequaled, and his over-the-top drumming creations are simply mind-boggling.

Marco's "Extreme Interdependence" drum instructional book was voted the No. 1 educational book in several drumming magazines. His "Extreme Drumming" DVD also won several readers' poll awards and earned Marco the prestigious Telly Award.

Not only is Minnemann a world-class drumming innovator, having brought stunned audiences to their feet at most every major drum festival in the world, but he is also a musical renaissance man. His eclectic musical skills include composing, producing, and engineering, as well as being a multi-instrumentalist on guitar, bass, keyboards, and vocals. Minnemann has seven multi-faceted solo recordings to his name, along with several outstanding recordings with his former band, ILLEGAL ALIENS, and numerous recordings as a sideman and producer, working with such artists as Paul Gilbert (MR. BIG), Mike Keneally (FRANK ZAPPA) and European superstar Nina Hagen.

Got to say, never heard of the bloke, but vids seem to show he knows what he's doing behind a drumset

As for Portnoy reaching out to come back, it just reeks of desperation. Almost like after all the mouthing off he realises he's made a mistake since Avenged SevenFold (?) has decided they can't put up with him and he's been dropped from 2 bands in quick succession. While I expected him to return to DT, I never expected him to try it this early

Marco used to be in Paul Gilbert's band.

Here check out Paul Gilbert's live dvd clip of Scarified with Marco on drums

He's a great drummer in my opinion :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit I got pretty excited when I found out it could be Marco Minnemann, I've seen him with Paul Gilbert a couple of times and I'm a fan of Necrophagist. But then again it's only a rumour and possibly just a coincidence.. Rudess has been known to play with lot's of musicians in projects outside of the DT realm.

Anyone seen the Charlie Z drum covers on YouTube? His covers are possibly some of the best on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Having driven about 14-15 hours in two days recently I listened to Dream Theater's entire discography (except WDADU) and A Change of Seasons on the road... I'll miss Portnoy's drumming, but there certainly came a shift in the band around Six Degrees, and once Train of Thought came around I really think they lost that magic that Six Degrees had. There are still good songs and great material in there, but with the exception of Octavarium, I think they're all paling in comparison with the older stuff.

That said, I think a lot of LaBrie's inflections and vocal melodies are cringeworthy on some of the Awake material, and I'll really miss Portnoy's drumming. But since we're done with the AA songs (and hopefully having a few more/shorter tracks on the new album) I'm hoping to see this band get a breath of fresh air... we'll see!

MARCO MINNEMANN Is Not DREAM THEATER's New Drummer - Jan. 13, 2011

Despite rumors to the contrary, BLABBERMOUTH.NET has learned that 40-year-old international drumming sensation Marco Minnemann (KREATOR, NECROPHAGIST) **has NOT** joined DREAM THEATER as the replacement for the recently departed Mike Portnoy.

DREAM THEATER has yet to officially announce its new drummer despite the fact that the band has been rehearsing with one candidate exclusively since last fall. DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci previously stated about the group's drummer search, "Auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!"

DREAM THEATER will co-headline this year's edition of Classic Rock magazine's award-winning High Voltage festival, set to take place Saturday, July 23 and Sunday, July 24, 2011 in Victoria Park, London, England. The band will appear on the main stage on July 24. High Voltage 2011 will mark the first U.K. performance of the group's new lineup following the departure of Mike Portnoy.

Just days after it was announced that he'd been dismissed as the touring drummer for AVENGED SEVENFOLD, Portnoy revealed that he tried to rejoin DREAM THEATER, and was rebuffed.

Portnoy, who co-founded DREAM THEATER more than 20 years ago, abruptly quit the band last summer while on tour with AVENGED SEVENFOLD.

He played on AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Nightmare", following the death of that band's drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, and has toured with them since early summer.