mike's brutal voice

Well to me it sounds about as natural as it could get. Just because he can produce incredibly brutal growls, doesn't mean its not natural.

I'm just impressed he can pull off the clean vocals so well after those Death grwols.

Bloody Hell, just because the man can pull off those gorwls, doesn't mean they aren't natural. I can growl naturally, and my parents still have trouble distinguishing between me and my CD player.

I've seen Opeth live and I can say that Mike growls naturally. He doesn't use any distortion. When singing "Demon of the Fall" he had to cough before switching to normal voice at the end part.

Originally posted by wach0052
Mike said in an interview that when he does them in the studio he sounds like a witch or something, but when they listen to them they end up sounding really brutal...strange.

If that's true they are not really natural..

im pretty sure some reverb and delay go into some of the growling parts,SOME not all most of the time in very subtle amounts but enough for them to affect the overall sound,A godsend of a voice he has nonetheless

Originally posted by Minder
I've seen Opeth live and I can say that Mike growls naturally. He doesn't use any distortion. When singing "Demon of the Fall" he had to cough before switching to normal voice at the end part.

Ha! I think everyone has to cough after growling... well, that's actually a big assumption, and you know what they say about assuming...