Milking the Cash Cow

MindInsane said:
A twat?? WTF?? MmmmKay:Smug:

Well..the reason I think it's retarded is simple;

Being an avid Opeth fan I want many people to be exposed to their genius and the thought of their music being out of print is a shitty one. Why would you want thier music to become hard to get and more obscure than it is now? Personally I want their albums to continue to be lucrative for the band for years to come. I definitely don't want to be a completely selfish elitist "twat" who wants all the bands I listen to to fade into obscurity so I can say that I've got their out of print cds in my collection...because hey...that really proves that I'm TR000000000000!

Fair enough. I'm not an avid Opeth fan and I don't think they're genius, but I am a fan of metal music. I feel that the fans of the band that bought the album when it came out or near that time should have the album. I could care less about people discovering bands after a 5th or 6th album.

And Opeth's music is hardly hard to find or obscure. Hell, I can find their albums at Best Buy.

Fans of bands are the ones that prevent them from fading into obscurity, not the availabililty of albums. Also, obscurity is where many of the best bands can be found.

P.S. Legendary status doesn't mean shit if you're not making any money from it!

If that is what Opeth is about, I'm glad I'm not a fan.

Legendary status is not decided by "making money". It is decided by the fans. I can name many bands who released a legendary or classic album, yet didn't make any money off of it.

Dreamlord said:
Fair enough. I'm not an avid Opeth fan and I don't think they're genius, but I am a fan of metal music. I feel that the fans of the band that bought the album when it came out or near that time should have the album. I could care less about people discovering bands after a 5th or 6th album.

Well, I got into them after Blackwater park came out..I don't think that makes me any less of a fan. The week after I bought it I went on a mission to buy the rest of their catalog..and I had a hard time finding a couple of them..Still Life in particular. They have become my all time favorite band!

And Opeth's music is hardly hard to find or obscure. Hell, I can find their albums at Best Buy.

Fans of bands are the ones that prevent them from fading into obscurity, not the availabililty of albums. Also, obscurity is where many of the best bands can be found.

That will be too bad when they aren't around or touring anymore because there are no album sales or new intrest in them...obscure bands don't tour and don't stay together because they need to make a living doing something else...obscurity and legendary status doesn't pay the bills.

If that is what Opeth is about, I'm glad I'm not a fan.

I'm not speaking for Opeth...just posting my opinion...but I'm sure they like a living wage just like the rest of us.

Legendary status is not decided by "making money". It is decided by the fans. I can name many bands who released a legendary or classic album, yet didn't make any money off of it.

As far as I'm concerned they have reached legendary status..they are the only band with that sound..hence the ferociously loyal fans in here :)

Hearse said:
Every single album is nowdays a "limited edition".
I bet it's nowdays more rare to have "regular/unlimited" versions of the albums.

Next they gonna do limited orchid album with dryed orchid flower inside the case. :roll:

Careful with what you say, Candlelight might be reading this :Smug:

Re-issues irritate me. I hate it when I order a CD and it comes in a digipack with four bonus tracks. I don't want an enhanced multimedia bonus video. Piss off and give me the actual CD, if the original isn't available then unlucky me.

Int said:
Re-issues irritate me. I hate it when I order a CD and it comes in a digipack with four bonus tracks. I don't want an enhanced multimedia bonus video. Piss off and give me the actual CD, if the original isn't available then unlucky me.

Agreed, death to fucking digipacks, it's the worst packaging ever. If a jewel case breaks, you can just change it for a whole one, but if your digipack gets worn or dirty or whatever, you're gonna have to buy the whole fucking album again.

My deliverance digi pack got destroyed by a foul pear...oh dear :(

...anyway...I want one of these tin editions ;)

frayededges said:
You guys all seem to be forgetting that Opeth themselves stand to gain some cash from this deal. And why not? They deserve to make some money on their back catalogue - ALL of their shit is good, and if people are just now discovering their old stuff, why not make it more attractive so people will want to buy it? That's a good way to make money on what you've already done, AND it gives new fans a cool way to check out your old stuff by making it easier to find and nicer to look at. Face it - Orchid's packaging is ugly. Even Opeth thinks so. Don't like it? Don't buy it! But I just might get the special edition MAYH to listen to, and put my signed one away.
Which brings us back to the point, don't buy this cos you HAVE to have EVERYTHING OPETH... buy it if you DON'T own any other versions of the album...... essentially the 'limited edition' albums nowadays are becoming the 'n00b edition' albums :rolleyes: (As that's all they can get their hands on years after the realease.

All you elitists should get OVER the fact, and look smugly upon anyone who gets the tin editions, comfortable in the fact that that person obviously has not been following the band (in this case opeth) from the beggining) :Smug:

That said, I'll be seriously considering picking up the MAYH tin edition, as it's the only Opeth CD I don't 'officially' have (I have a rip) as my bastard of a brother (who has all originals, which I used to listen to more than him) legged it quite some time ago... and I've been searching for 'Originals (at a RESPECTABLE price) ever since) ..... I think it's about time I gave up on that idea.

Spike

Dreamlord said:
That wasn't his point and you KNOW IT.

Hearse said:
Every single album is nowdays a "limited edition".
I bet it's nowdays more rare to have "regular/unlimited" versions of the albums.
That was actually the case with Damnation for a long time.... the 'Limited Edition Digipack', was all that was available in Aus when they toured.... and for many months afterwards.... same with online stores like 'the end' (who had digi but no jewel case... which is a pity for people who want to actually CARRY the album around... digi's get damaged so easily)

Oh, and the only other thing I wanted to mention is that the only thing that DOES irk me with 'limited editions' is that.... of it's 'limited edition' it should have BONUS MATERIAL (B-Sides, Covers, Multimedia, Unreleased)... let's face it though, the Opeth 're-releases with 'bonus material' were SHITE :bah: )

If you don't HAVE the material to work with, DON'T (RE)RELEASE the album as 'limited edition', just make it a 'repressing'.

Actually a word from the wise in the marketing department for record labels would be if you DO decide to to a limited edition with 'bonus material'... PUT IT ON A SECOND DISC, as also in many cases, no matter how good or bad said bonus material may be (as in the case of Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH) it will RUIN the continuity of the album)

It's only a SMALL thing to do on their behalf.... but it will push ALOT more albums out the door (Surely LeeB can give us an idea of how much it would cost to run off a 2nd CD when pressing, as opposed to 1)

Spike said:
That was actually the case with Damnation for a long time.... the 'Limited Edition Digipack', was all that was available in Aus when they toured.... and for many months afterwards.... same with online stores like 'the end' (who had digi but no jewel case... which is a pity for people who want to actually CARRY the album around... digi's get damaged so easily)

Actually JB Hi-Fi had both versions of Damnation as soon as it came out in April while they were here. The limited edition was $32 and the standard one $20...expensive digipacks don't appeal to me very much plus I prefer the original white artwork so I got the standard one.

Oyo said:
There are so many fanboys here.

You can put your opeth thongs in your opeth tins, and then you can put all three copies of BWP into your CD-changer (original, rerelease, and tin version), and then you can talk to your friend on the phone about how deliverance rawks
I nominate this for Post of the Year.

Judas Pissed said:
Actually JB Hi-Fi had both versions of Damnation as soon as it came out in April while they were here. The limited edition was $32 and the standard one $20...expensive digipacks don't appeal to me very much plus I prefer the original white artwork so I got the standard one.
Well they were hiding them very well

Spike said:
Which brings us back to the point, don't buy this cos you HAVE to have EVERYTHING OPETH... buy it if you DON'T own any other versions of the album...... essentially the 'limited edition' albums nowadays are becoming the 'n00b edition' albums :rolleyes: (As that's all they can get their hands on years after the realease.

What if the person prides themselves in being a collector? not in a "omg opeth is god, I pray to them everyday" type of way but just kind of a casual guy who likes to collect things released from their favorite bands?

I think you're a fucking idiot for saying that "oh man, anybody who didn't have the fortune to follow them from the beginning isn't a true fan and anybody who buys these albums certainly are idiots."

Oyo said:
There are so many fanboys here.

You can put your opeth thongs in your opeth tins, and then you can put all three copies of BWP into your CD-changer (original, rerelease, and tin version), and then you can talk to your friend on the phone about how deliverance rawks

Because certainly only people with the original cd's and only own one copy of the cd and sits in the dark being grim and necro all day are the only true fans of opeth, you fucking prick.

Boop said:
What if the person prides themselves in being a collector? not in a "omg opeth is god, I pray to them everyday" type of way but just kind of a casual guy who likes to collect things released from their favorite bands?
'casual' and 'collector' are in most ways, mutually exclusive.

If you're the kind of 'casual' collector who has enough money to throw around to buy MULTIPLE COPIES of a bands CD's, with NO NEW BONUS MATERIAL, and a simple re-packaging in lieu, then feel free to go right ahead buddy. *Shakes Head*

All you elitists should get OVER the fact, and look smugly upon anyone who gets the tin editions, comfortable in the fact that that person obviously has not been following the band (in this case opeth) from the beggining) :Smug:
You obviously couldn't see past the end of your nose to notice I was taking as much piss out of Elitists in this statement as I was n00bs.

Boop said:
I think you're a fucking idiot for saying that "oh man, anybody who didn't have the fortune to follow them from the beginning isn't a true fan and anybody who buys these albums certainly are idiots."
You misspelt 'Tr00' by the way. :Smug:

Really, I'm sorry if I implied that n00bs are the bane of existence of all metal-heads, as while I think they do have their detractions, they aren't half as bad a bunch as most would think... they learn (in time).

Don't we all? :rolleyes:

I said you were an 'IDIOT' (Thanks for paraphrasing, by the way. :rolleyes: ) IF you bought these 'Tin Editions' AND you already OWNED previous editions, NOT if if you needed one of these items to complete your Opeth back catalogue.

I then went on to make a simple OBSERVATION that these so called 'limited editions' for the majority, tend to find there way into the hands of n00bs (and therefore used it in jest as a means of identifying said n00bs), as all the 'original editions' (and repressings if there were any) were snapped up a long time ago.

In case you missed my point, my GRIPE was with marketing departments and what not REPACKAGING previous releases and then labelling them as 'Limited Edition'.

Even THAT wouldn't be so bad if the items were marketed at the same (or lesser) price point as the original item, but labels look at these 'Limited Editions' as a means to make an extra buck from gullible n00bs (well, they're gullible if they aren't at least a LITTLE disgruntled that these 'Limited Editions' are the only items they can get their hands on... as long as they're willing to pay a little extra)

The gist of my argument is that they should be selling RE-PRESSINGS (at the same price point) and not 'Limited Editions' (without any bonus material).

While I'm happy and content in the fact that I've been able to follow this band from their beginnings (more or less) I'm MORE than happy to see more fans enter the fold.... in Opeth's case in particular I know that that isn't going to detract from the experience (except from marketing/PR/ label side point of view :bah: ), so I'm happy to see them achieve a larger fan-base (and theoretically at least, a bigger pay check :rolleyes: )