Milking the Cash Cow

Dreamlord said:
re-issues are the bane of the metal scene. I hate them. Fuck the new fans. Let the albums go out of print and gather somewhat legendary status.

While I also hate reissues very much, letting them go out of print is just fucking insane and doesn't make sense coming from any fan of music. Fuck the new fans? I guess inless your 40-30 you can't listen to anything from the 70s which is a shame pal. lol!! I'm sorry but late 60s and 70s music is great and by your little view you shouldnt be listening to it. And your whole music collection must be extremely limited if that era of music isn't included...Call me a fanboy or w/e but I think Opeth are the greatest from what I have heard. Some bands are someone's favorite and maybe this is the place if any to post that Opeth are mine. Im sure all the blues artists and jazz legends are so happy their albums are out of print because their very emotional music is just touching so many now!! I mean they made it for the fans of the day and for the select few in the future. God forbid musicians made music to stand the test of time!! That would be horrible, wouldnt it?? Fuckin lame asshole...

I can kind of see the cash cow point, but I bought the My Arms, Your Hearse one. My copy of that is well over five years old and not in that great of shape so that's how I justified it. Anyway, there are some people who just like collecting things like that, and that is really their business. They've only made a total of 6,000 of all three albums so they're not going to make that much off of them anyway. I don't usually buy stuff like that, but Opeth is my favorite band so I made an exception in this case. :D

DreamingofUr said:
While I also hate reissues very much, letting them go out of print is just fucking insane and doesn't make sense coming from any fan of music.
Why is that? Are you speaking from an artist perspective or a fan's perspective?

Fuck the new fans?
Indeed.

I guess inless your 40-30 you can't listen to anything from the 70s which is a shame pal. lol!! I'm sorry but late 60s and 70s music is great and by your little view you shouldnt be listening to it. And your whole music collection must be extremely limited if that era of music isn't included
If I can find it, I can listen to it. If I want to hear 'Master of Reality' or 'SGT. Pepper', I'll damn well find one that doesn't have demo tracks, bonus tracks, new artwork, embossed-tin (what a fucking joke), or any other newbie attraction label's throw at fans. I'm not going sit on my laurels and wait for a label to release a new edition of Orchid with a condom Mikael used 5 years ago, which is something fanboys would probably buy in a heartbeat. Fucking sad.

...Call me a fanboy or w/e but I think Opeth are the greatest from what I have heard.
You haven't heard much, have you?

Im sure all the blues artists and jazz legends are so happy their albums are out of print because their very emotional music is just touching so many now!!
They should be happy.

God forbid musicians made music to stand the test of time!! That would be horrible, wouldnt it??
Good music doesn't need re-issue after re-issue to stand the test of time.

Who's next?

I just think that it's funny that as much as Dreamlord thinks that Opeth are a mediocre (at best) band, he is still here...
what the hell? don't you have anything better to do?

btw...I bought all three even though I have them on vinyl because my copies had been stolen and cds are much easier to listen to and transport.
And yes, I've been listening to them since before MAYH came out and was at their very first show in the States at Milwaukee Metalfest...so what does that make me? :Smug:

BTW, Dreamlord, I know I would be extremely sad if(when) all of Opeth's cd's, lp's, whatever all go out of print and get worn out to the point where they're unusable, and then nobody will be able to listen to them!! Wouldn't that be great?!? Actually, I don't know why the fuck I'm even asking you, because you apparently don't give a shit about (the success of) this band.

blah blah blah....bl blah blah

hi

I keep buying new Opeth albums (er, cd's) because mine inevitably start skipping....can't even find any scratches or anything, I don't get it. "Bonus," "limited," "re-release," I don't care. If it's the album, I'm buying it.

*checks the End again to see if they re-stocked Still Life*

frayededges said:
You guys all seem to be forgetting that Opeth themselves stand to gain some cash from this deal. And why not? They deserve to make some money on their back catalogue - ALL of their shit is good, and if people are just now discovering their old stuff, why not make it more attractive so people will want to buy it? That's a good way to make money on what you've already done, AND it gives new fans a cool way to check out your old stuff by making it easier to find and nicer to look at. Face it - Orchid's packaging is ugly. Even Opeth thinks so. Don't like it? Don't buy it! But I just might get the special edition MAYH to listen to, and put my signed one away.
I totally agree, but there's a detail you seem to forget.. the group don't get ANY money from their albums' sales (as far as I know).

I have ordered the tin editions though :p I like collecting stuff of my *really* favourite bands.

EDIT: Oops I just noticed this was a bit late, so maybe someone has already mentioned what I said.. forgive me :)

My 3 tins arrived yesterday, I must say they are pretty damn cool. Beautiful!I never seen anything like this so they are a cool novelty/collection to me.

I guess the band dont get all that money directly, it's a shame, however... every record sale adds up and when they sell out of stock on things I think it DOES increase what they can get in the future (more bucks for recording, more equipment, bigger juicy incentives for doing a gig, etc) so they do get something out of it in the end, I think.

Anyway... whats it called when you're supposed to give half your money or whatever to church? (tides?) Well, Opeth are my godz, I guess it's safe to say I worship them.... so it's alright they get my tides. At least I know where my money's gone! :)

Hearse said:
@Redblueyes: But if you want, you could also give your moneys directly to Opeth... and they can send you tinpaper for return what with you can enfold your jewelcases :D
Then you got rare covers... and the band would get more money :p
ha ha.
Well... if I could orgami-style fold out the impression of Opeth logos out of tinfoil, then YES..that would be a good idea!! Unfortunately, that is not where my true talent lies...
:)~

I did the figures as to what the label will get and what the band will get for these re-issues. I won't print 'em here, but lets just say that the label are doing A LOT better than the band out of this deal (old news to all I'm sure).

What bothers me about releases like this is the very fact that avid fans like Redblueyes end up buying exactly the same thing again simply because the label knows there are folks out there who are compelled to do so.

I too will benefit from this. When I sold Candlelight it was agreed that I get a royalty based on future sales that I still recieve to this day (I'll probaby do better than an Opeth member to be honest), but I personally find this re-release cynical and unneccesary.

I know about the nature of business, and yadda yadda, but at the end of the day these albums are still freely available in their original form (well, with the bonus tracks from the last time Candleshite re-released 'em). It's not like the old albums have been deleted, are out of print or were only originally available on vinyl.

It's solely an exercise to extract money out of fans. Just bear that in mind before placing that order.

Lee

I bought fucking zyklon tins AND THEY SUCK SHIT - THE CDs SMELL LIKE PAINT AND THE FUCKING WORLD OV WORMS SOUNDS LIKE IT HORRIBLY SCRATCHED!!! AAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!! fuck the tins, the zyklon stickers suck too <--- pissed off, I just fucking downloaded the cd and burned it