Milwaukee - 12/2/06

MikeMc

Headbanging since 1980
Dec 3, 2006
Milwaukee,WI
I took my son to the CoB/AA/Gojira ( What happened to Sanctity?) show last night (his first metal show) at The Rave in Milwaukee - kick ass!

Gojira opened with a tight set. I'm not very familiar with them but they were pretty good and the crowd responded well ( it only took about thirty seconds for the pit to get going).

Amon Amarth was up next and they stole the show! They played an awesome set (if a little short) and crowd was really into it. I'd like to see AA come back to Milwaukee as headliners in the future so they can play a full set.

CoB was ok but you could tell the crowd had lost a bit of momentum after AA. Even my son who really wanted to see CoB thought Amon Amarth was the highlight of the night.

Good job guys!

what was the playlist like, same as in Detroit?

I took my son to the CoB/AA/Gojira ( What happened to Sanctity?) show last night (his first metal show) at The Rave in Milwaukee - kick ass!

Gojira opened with a tight set. I'm not very familiar with them but they were pretty good and the crowd responded well ( it only took about thirty seconds for the pit to get going).

Amon Amarth was up next and they stole the show! They played an awesome set (if a little short) and crowd was really into it. I'd like to see AA come back to Milwaukee as headliners in the future so they can play a full set.

CoB was ok but you could tell the crowd had lost a bit of momentum after AA. Even my son who really wanted to see CoB thought Amon Amarth was the highlight of the night.

Good job guys!

what was the playlist like, same as in Detroit?

Looks like it was the same set as Detroit, I think they got the best crowd reaction/participation from "Death In Fire". Just to add, I think what made the AA set so enjoyable was they seemed geniunely happy (happy Vikings - is that possible?) to be up there playing and the crowd could sense that.

I was at this show.. Right in the middle. I don't even know how many times I got blind-sided by guys in the pit. It was absolutely insane! I had seen Amon Amarth on the totally failed Marduk tour (i.e., Marduk wasn't even in the country for the show that they were supposed to be headlining) and the crowd was small and not really that into the whole thing. People didn't really know their material and while I loved it, we just didn't get.. as into it. This time around.. Wow. Firstly, these guys have come SO FAR as a live band. They set was amazing! Super tight with all the best songs off the new album and the songs I was dying to hear (with the exception of Thousand Years of Oppression and Victorious March--but the set was short, so..). Then, to top it off the crowd was totally into them. The mosh pit, the spontaneous crowd interaction in the band (just randomly starting to throw horns and yell 'hey' along with the beat.. I've never seen that at a show in the US, usually the vocalist has to get people into it), the fact that most of the people in the crowd knew all the words.. Amon Amarth is a force to be reckoned with. I'm blown away.

All-in-all that was easily the best show I've seen. Amon Amarth put on a show that I can't do justice with words. I haven't had that much fun at a show since I saw CoB at Metalfest in 2000 (when they basically played every song off of Hatebreeder) and I was 18.

( What happened to Sanctity?)
Apparently their van got stolen. I feel bad for 'em.

Yeah, I was unimpressed by CoB. I saw them in 2000, like I said above, and they were way more interesting and energetic then. I mean, I have to say, that I don't like their new stuff so I didn't know some of their set. I was also disappointed with the crowd reaction to the two songs from Hatebreeder that they played because.. well.. people just didn't seem to know it!! That's never a good sign, 'cause they'll play LESS of it in the future and it's easily their best album.

Anyway, you're right about AA stealing the show. I was over at the bar after the AA set getting a beer and the guy (in a CoB shirt) next to me turned and said "How the hell are CoB going to follow THAT?" I just laughed and said "they can't." Haha.

:worship:rock::worship:rock:

I was at this show.. Right in the middle. I don't even know how many times I got blind-sided by guys in the pit....

I was in the middle on the back side of the pit, I tried to keep at least one person between me and the pit but still came close to getting knocked down a couple of times (and I'm a big guy). I saw some young girls move up between sets right into the middle, I don't think they quite realized what they were getting themselves into...

the fact that most of the people in the crowd knew all the words.. Amon Amarth is a force to be reckoned with. I'm blown away.

I knew the crowd was going to be good when the guy behind me started practicing his "growl" before the AA set. I expected there to be some AA fans there but the level of crowd response really surprised me, too bad every show couldn't be as much fun.

I saw some young girls move up between sets right into the middle, I don't think they quite realized what they were getting themselves into...

Haha yeah I remember that, I think some people warned them and they moved.

I hope everyone involved in Amon Amarth's performance is proud as hell. After Pursuit I was thinking how could any band follow that. Here's to hoping for an Amon Amarth headlining US tour with a longer set! :kickass:

I was in the middle on the back side of the pit, I tried to keep at least one person between me and the pit but still came close to getting knocked down a couple of times (and I'm a big guy). I saw some young girls move up between sets right into the middle, I don't think they quite realized what they were getting themselves into...
Yeah, I'm a really big guy. I stand about 6'3" and I was getting into it and everytime I would take my attention away from the pit some mosh-happy jackass would run headlong into me and think it was really funny. I never biffed, but I moved the crowd about 10 feet one time before I finally recovered.

I knew the crowd was going to be good when the guy behind me started practicing his "growl" before the AA set. I expected there to be some AA fans there but the level of crowd response really surprised me, too bad every show couldn't be as much fun.
Yeah, shows like that are amazing. When the kids are spontaneously chanting along with the band.. you know it's going well. I was blown away and Johan, ever the viking (haha), was all smiles up there. You could tell that he was pleasantly surprised by the crowd reaction.

I hope everyone involved in Amon Amarth's performance is proud as hell. After Pursuit I was thinking how could any band follow that. Here's to hoping for an Amon Amarth headlining US tour with a longer set! :kickass:
I'm totally happy I was involved. It was an absolute blast. Like I said before, that's the most fun that I've had a concert in years. I hope they headline, but I'd actually like to see them still play smaller clubs like The Rave basement just because the venue gets more packed that way.. going to shows where half the room is empty always feels a little depressing, y'know?

My final surprise, honestly, was that they were playing downstairs. I figured they'd be in the middle room 'cause I honestly thought that CoB was as popular as Opeth and they headlined (and sold out) the middle room. Apparently I was wrong.. but this was an amazing show and I'm glad it was downstairs (even if the acoustics did suffer a bit).

My final surprise, honestly, was that they were playing downstairs. I figured they'd be in the middle room 'cause I honestly thought that CoB was as popular as Opeth and they headlined (and sold out) the middle room. Apparently I was wrong.. but this was an amazing show and I'm glad it was downstairs (even if the acoustics did suffer a bit).

I thought CoB rated a bigger room as well,maybe they needed to make room for all of the +44 :yuk: fans. You're right though I would rather be in a smaller,packed and more energetic room than a half empty hall.

Best exchange of the night (after the show)...

Me: "Did you have fun?"
My son: "I smell funny."
Me: "That would be all of the strange people's sweat,smoke and the beer that was spilled on you. Would you go to another show like this?"
My son: "Yeah!"

And so the metal torch gets passed on to a new generation...

totally tits, best show i've been to in a long long time.

2nd time i've seen them live there, awesome, personally i loved COB live again, rekindled fond memories of earlier shows, and they have so much energy live. Amon was why i went though, and i wasn't disapointed.

i was ready for the pit, ready for the crowd, ready for anything, and halfway through Valhall Awaits, (i know what the fuck!?) i was suddenly not in the center near front, i was being screamed at and shaken by the bar. I have no idea what happened since my memory goes something like, "AWESOME! WOW! ... what?" I spent the rest of their set being supported by a wall and chanting along.

I've decided the might of the metal was just too strong, I swooned like a chick at an Elvis concert or some shit. There can be no other explination since it's never happened before(right?). Amon just rocked that hard.