Misanthropy/Pessimism

I love getting that from kids in high school. Kids with their fake long black greasy hair, with an AC/DC shirt on thinking "If I wear this shirt I'm getting some girls hell yeah!!!"

Replace the AC/DC shirt with a Suicide Silence shirt and you got my school.

Replace the AC/DC shirt with a Suicide Silence shirt and you got my school.

That also, but AC/DC mostly applies to the "Rocker" kids. In fact, I bet a lot of those kids who shop at hot topic don't even listen to the band, they just buy and go, "I hope the other kids at school will notice my awesome shirt dude!!"

But then they call themselves antisocial like its cool.

I consider myself more of a lonely wolf, rather than a misanthrope. I enjoy being alone most of the time, even though I have a pretty wide circle of true friends and love spending time with them.

I generally have no issues functioning in social settings, etc, and I don't have a problem, if not liking people, then at least managing to relate with them sufficiently to have a proper dialogue if that is what the social protocol calls for. If anything, I'd say people have a harder time liking me than the other way around. My esoteric hobbies, politically incorrect opinions and cynic outlook on life is something a lot of people find hard to swallow.

Every person that I pass that looks as if they're part of a certain "movement" just fills me with spite. It honestly just pisses me off that people try to look a certain way. It's obviously not a very rational way of looking at things but I just can't help myself sometimes.

people who fit into these established categories are just funny, i get more irritated by people who are clichéd but aren't quite so obvious about it - i.e. most of the people i meet. my entire personality can be fundamentally defined as an opposition to such cliché, absolutely every facet of it from my tastes to my general demeanor i think.

Personally, I find this whole attitude of being oneself at all costs just as pretentious as, if not more pretentious than, someone's choosing to, for instance, dress in a way that can be regarded as clichéd or something along those lines. As if there's some way of looking that just signifies the will to be oneself, whereas this other stuff just signifies the will to conform to some stereotype. Give me a break. If somebody looks some way because they genuinely like that look, then whether or not that look fits under some preconceived category is basically a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. What manner of dressing, pray tell, does not signify one's social group/background? People who dress in conformity with some kind of subculture face these sorts of superficial criticisms so often I suspect only because subcultural norms have a particular salience that "normal", "non-pretentious" norms don't have because it's in the very nature of things that are regarded as less-than-normal to be particularly salient in this way.

As if there's some way of looking that just signifies the will to be oneself, whereas this other stuff just signifies the will to conform to some stereotype.

if you think in a non-clichéd way it follows that you will have non-cliched preferences/tastes and so will 'genuinely like' a look that is also likely to be unusual. clothes often can accurately indicate a clichéd or non-clichéd personality.

in fact they can indicate a will to be clichéd or non-clichéd as well, i don't know wtf you're going on about honestly. just because 'trying to be oneself/different' necessarily fails miserably due to its self-contradictory nature doesn't mean the attempt can't be reflected in a person's clothing

Personally, I find this whole attitude of being oneself at all costs just as pretentious as, if not more pretentious than, someone's choosing to, for instance, dress in a way that can be regarded as clichéd or something along those lines. As if there's some way of looking that just signifies the will to be oneself, whereas this other stuff just signifies the will to conform to some stereotype. Give me a break. If somebody looks some way because they genuinely like that look, then whether or not that look fits under some preconceived category is basically a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. What manner of dressing, pray tell, does not signify one's social group/background? People who dress in conformity with some kind of subculture face these sorts of superficial criticisms so often I suspect only because subcultural norms have a particular salience that "normal", "non-pretentious" norms don't have because it's in the very nature of things that are regarded as less-than-normal to be particularly salient in this way.

I agree with this. I wasn't implying an actual animosity towards individuals part of sub-cultures. I just feel a general dislike towards an "obsession with appearance" mentality.

In response to the original topic:

I'm definitely a misanthrope and an incurable cynic. In my experience what can go wrong, will. Especially if other people are involved. Generally, people are either stupid or casually sadistic, or worse, both. I've kind of lost faith in humanity, and the state of the world economy certainly isn't helping. I don't try and avoid over people, but I do try and ignore politics, populated areas where the idiocy is overwhelming, and the news in general. The only way I can keep up with modern affairs without feeling depressed is to watch quiz shows like Have I Got News For You or Mock The Week, which isn't terribly reliable, but at least everyone on there is at least as cynical as I am.

In response to the above statement: I believe in being yourself, just so long as you don't shove it in other peoples faces or put ridiculous amounts of effort into it, which is almost as despicable as people who want to be someone else or a different race or whatever.

if you think in a non-clichéd way it follows that you will have non-cliched preferences/tastes and so will 'genuinely like' a look that is also likely to be unusual. clothes often can accurately indicate a clichéd or non-clichéd personality.

I was attacking the idea that certain ways of looking are by themselves reliable indicators of "clichéd ways of thought". The will to be oneself does not attach to any particular look, i.e. "unusual" looks. I also find the idea of being oneself in the sense of trying to avoid looking or seeming clichéd in any way just as obnoxious as looking some way in order to conform to some particular type. Often the outward manifestation of being oneself can be construed as conforming to some sort of cliché. I'm not interested purely in how people look but rather their underlying motivation and can't really see any interesting connection between the former and the latter. Also, what is 'unusual' supposed to mean in this context? Unless you dress in fucking dinosaur costumes or something you're not all that unusual.

in fact they can indicate a will to be clichéd or non-clichéd as well, i don't know wtf you're going on about honestly. just because 'trying to be oneself/different' necessarily fails miserably due to its self-contradictory nature doesn't mean the attempt can't be reflected in a person's clothing

I don't think I ever claimed that the attempt to be oneself couldn't be reflected in how somebody looks. I don't buy the idea that there's any interesting connection between being oneself and looking a certain way. There's no interesting connection between being oneself and being unusual. If, for example, I agree with the main tenets of some popular ideology am I not being myself? You can't have evidence one way or another until you look at my motivations. Outward manifestations are not reliable evidence for this sort of thing.

I was attacking the idea that certain ways of looking are by themselves reliable indicators of "clichéd ways of thought". The will to be oneself does not attach to any particular look, i.e. "unusual" looks. I also find the idea of being oneself in the sense of trying to avoid looking or seeming clichéd in any way just as obnoxious as looking some way in order to conform to some particular type. Often the outward manifestation of being oneself can be construed as conforming to some sort of cliché. I'm not interested purely in how people look but rather their underlying motivation and can't really see any interesting connection between the former and the latter. Also, what is 'unusual' supposed to mean in this context? Unless you dress in fucking dinosaur costumes or something you're not all that unusual.

]I don't think I ever claimed that the attempt to be oneself couldn't be reflected in how somebody looks. I don't buy the idea that there's any interesting connection between being oneself and looking a certain way. There's no interesting connection between being oneself and being unusual. If, for example, I agree with the main tenets of some popular ideology am I not being myself? You can't have evidence one way or another until you look at my motivations. Outward manifestations are not reliable evidence for this sort of thing.

ok i agree in that case. look isn't really reliable as an indicator for anything at all, i mean i sometimes walk about unshaven in a man utd top and tracksuit bottoms haha, people probably think i work at mcdonalds and start fights in parks. a lot of the most common looking people in the world are i suspect 'being themselves', if 'being oneself' means a synthesis between thought and action (i don't think it can make sense any other way applied in this context).

to tie this back in with the thread and my original post, i don't value the quality of 'being oneself' so much as i value the quality of being unusual. i don't care how authentic you are if you're boring the shit out of me.

Definitely a true Misanthrope. I particularly hate the entire human race, as a principle. Not on an individual basis though, that would be pointless. Although it would be nice to systematically execute every human, one by one.

My ultimate goal is to rise above the human race on all levels.

Also, I don't feel a common bond with mortal humans, I will transcend this mortal state, on my own will.

cheers

You are the worst member of this forum. I'm amazed that you've been here since 2006 and not been banned. Stop posting, not just because you are unnecessary in this thread and every other thread on this entire site, but also because a misanthrope would not be here online spreading his message on a social forum.

In a social circle you have to be -cool- when socializing. Start talking about something even as deep as who they're voting for is a no-no most of the time. Simple & funny will get you the most followers.

I find that I usually don't have anything cool to say & my humor is too "left-field" to make me stand out. Therefore in larger groups I just usually am pretty relaxed & I don't talk a whole lot, but when I think about it this depends entirely on the group I am with too. It depends on how well I know everyone. If I'm out with a big group of old friends I am very familiar with I will be likely talk more than anyone else in the group.

Not true. It is about how to deliver the deep content. Also when in a large group it not always a good idea to express the deepest of subjects.

I am able to connect with a majority of people I talk to. I do not think that I am always the best at it but I am good in terms of being social. This has, however, shown to be how, as V5 said, most people are generic and will only be "cool" or interesting during their high school lives.

You are the worst member of this forum. I'm amazed that you've been here since 2006 and not been banned. Stop posting, not just because you are unnecessary in this thread and every other thread on this entire site, but also because a misanthrope would not be here online spreading his message on a social forum.

I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm of him, tbh... Even if not really decent one.