Miscellaneous beer thread

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
I went to Dan Murphy's yesterday and bought a selection of different beers to try, most of which I hadn't had before.

Right now I'm having a Cascade Amber Ale, which is rather nice, especially when it's reasonably warm in the house.

So, what are you lot drinking? The Winmar challenge for the week is to go and buy a couple of beers that you haven't had before.

Beer rules, I tell you.

Yeah whiskey's good too. :) I've got a couple of bottles in my cupboard, but no Jack unfortunately.

Ahh beer. Winmar if you are anywhere near a Belgian Beer Cafe (am fairly certain there is at least one in Melbourne), I suggest going there.

I just got back from the states and Canada, they have soooo many good beers in microbreweries/brew pubs over there it is phenomenal. Even Utah, Mormon capital (= teetotallers) of the world had a smashing array of beers. Australia should have more brew pubs, they would do so well.

Yeah there's one down St Kilda Rd. I'll have to go there sometime; it's meant to be good.

How long were you over there for, and where did you go, Kem? Noice!

There's a microbrewery or two over here, but not that many. I've heard good things about the American ones. It's a shame we can't get their produce as easily as we can Bud's.

I'm drinking a Shannow made Coopers ale, but it's still a bit green.

Will switch back to an older one, or maybe the real thing.

After I bottle the current batch, I'll be using a Coopers Sparkling ale kit with all the trimmings.

Nah,
just the Coopers traditional kit with malt replacing the dextrose.

(I've taken 15 years to be able to make remotely drinkable stuff, so my experimenting is pretty limited).

I am not a beer fan at all.

Whilst in Belgium I tasted a couple of beers that seemed a shit load better than the norm here, but I still didn't love it.

We have a local Dan Murphy's being built at the moment, set to open within the next couple of weeks, so I will have to go take a looky.

I've been to that Belgian Beer Cafe in St Kilda Rd, there is another one somewhere here too... It's pretty good!

Dan Murphy's rocks, easily the cheapest bottle shop around... and biggest range.

Yeah Dan Murphy's is great. They don't take huge margins, but make their money by selling by volume, as far as I can gather.

I'm drinking a Tui East India Pale Ale now. Tui appears to be from NZ. Not too bad a beer. Reminds me of something I had years ago....maybe Castle Lager in South Africa.

Beer will grow on you Blitzy.

Was in Utah for about 10 days, doing skiing and other fun snow stuff. Then Canada for another 10 days, so about 3 weeks all up.

Last Beer I brought was Carlton Cold .... its seems to have no taste... apart from that Tooheys Old is Good in a Canberra Winter, also Amsterdam Marnier is a nice beer.... Never been into buying 6 packs though....

Mmmm beer me good. Becks is great if its the actual imported stuff from germany. The oz blend isnt as good. What's worse is when the oz stuff is panned off as the imported stuff and the price tag is put up.

Kem said:
Ahh beer. Winmar if you are anywhere near a Belgian Beer Cafe (am fairly certain there is at least one in Melbourne), I suggest going there.

I just got back from the states and Canada, they have soooo many good beers in microbreweries/brew pubs over there it is phenomenal. Even Utah, Mormon capital (= teetotallers) of the world had a smashing array of beers. Australia should have more brew pubs, they would do so well.

Canberra has the wig and pen, and it's the greatest pub ever.

Wig and Pen, I remember that joint.

In Utah I drank a coffee stout at one of the brew pubs. It was pretty freaking delicious.

Carlton Cold looks and tastes like piss.

I'm going upmarket today - I had a XXXX Bitter when I got home. Now I'm drinking one of my home brews.

On a similar note to the Beck's comment, Guinness used to taste like shit over here, but now it's not bad. Still nowhere near as drinkable as it is in the UK.