Missing Guitar Leads

katatonic_fear

God of Apathy
Dec 4, 2004
Colorado
I love Viva Emptiness, but the major thing that stuck out is that there are no more melodic guitar leads. They seem to be more rythm based with the vocals doing the melodies. Maybe you could help me understand this choice, Anders. It just seems strange, because every other album has those melodic guitars, and this one doesn't. Was this a conscious decision, and will you bring them back on the next album?

Agree with you Katatonic_fear.
These disharmonic lines were parts of the Katatonia sound for me. I'd like to hear more of it on the next release. Tonight's decision is great concerning this aspect of Katatonia's music.

Pussies. You're both pussies for a bit of change in style.

If you haven't noticed, Katatonia switched musical styles after SoD, and then switched again after DO. Hell, after that, their music has taken slight changes, refining to make each album unique.

thats why is sad to be a fan without money :(
would like to have all of their cds but you cant so you have to choose one!!

Jinn said:
Pussies. You're both pussies for a bit of change in style.

Man are you tough.......apparently noone can have their own opinions here....because Jinn is soooo hardcore.....I bet your a skinny PUNK BITCH who only has the forum to act hard because where your from you dont say anything like that to anyone because you sooo scared of getting your skinny ass kicked...... :lol:

anyway if you think that this is what the BAND wants in their forum....your wrong JINN.....why dont you try to bring something to this forum thats not your TYPICAL asshole statements....try something that takes some thought....instead of being the guy who is TRYING to be someone that Im sure your not.....your probably a pretty cool kid....act like it....IMAGE ISNT EVERYTHING :D

Self appointed ego crusher

I forgot to mention that if you think that ISLAM is all about being an asshole....I think you wrong......got anything to say to that.......or will you let your (GOD) guide you......keep in mind that I am saying this to you because nothing happens in this world without divine purpose......
PEACE

All moodiness and argument aside, I agree with katatonic_fear completely. And I quote from an old thread:

RuinerXL said:
The thing I want most is for Blakkheim to continue doing his sorrow leads...for me, the spirit of Katatonia resides in those leads and I thought VE suffered because of their abscence. Don't get me wrong, it was still a great album, but I just felt like it was missing something when I listened to it. The only song on the album that seems to have them is "Inside the City of Glass", which is definitely one of my favorites. So...

Keep the sorrow leads, please!!!

Oi, Deliverance6!

First week on being the asshole on this forum and I'm doing pretty well.
Now screw off.

I know what Islam says, and believe it or not, UM is not an islamic oriented site, so therefore I have NO obligation to act 'Islamically'
I can also run rings around you in theology so shut yer mouth.

Being an asshole, self-appointed or not will get you a pink slip that says BANNED across it. Just ask Varg-, oh you can't... Whether the attitude is meant to be in jest or what have you noone cares for it and if you would like to remain a poster i would suggest you leave it at the door.

Initially I was into believing that I would not enjoy Viva because there are none of the typical katatonic guitar melodies, but I think the album is still incredible and it's not missing them (in fact they wouldn't really fit.)

I would like to hear some guitar melodies again, simply because Katatonia are masters at it, but I wouldn't mind if they did something without them that matches the quality of Viva.

So everyone understands, I love the album, I just like the guitar melodies that have been in every one of their albums. This one has none, and it feels that a part of their sound is gone. But, for the record, great album none the less!

for me VIVA is ok even without Anders' typical leads, it's good that the band is not repeating the same formula in evey album, so a bit of experimentation is always welcomed, and then this music really fits with the whole concept of the album, emptiness, grey colors...

ok, Anders told us he bought a new guitar, so I think we have to expect the return of his sorrow leads on the new album. let's see what kata is going to show us, I'm sure it will turn out a master piece as usual :)

ether said:
for me VIVA is ok even without Anders' typical leads, it's good that the band is not repeating the same formula in evey album, so a bit of experimentation is always welcomed, and then this music really fits with the whole concept of the album, emptiness, grey colors...

ok, Anders told us he bought a new guitar, so I think we have to expect the return of his sorrow leads on the new album. let's see what kata is going to show us, I'm sure it will turn out a master piece as usual :)

You're very right. It's good that they didn't repeat any formula. And it's true that the leads might not have fit this album's appearance and conceptual look.

OF COURSE THE NEXT ONE WILL BE A MASTERPIECE!!

Jinn said:
Oi, Deliverance6!

First week on being the asshole on this forum and I'm doing pretty well.
Now screw off.

I know what Islam says, and believe it or not, UM is not an islamic oriented site, so therefore I have NO obligation to act 'Islamically'
I can also run rings around you in theology so shut yer mouth.

Sorry everyone but I got to keep this going....just a little longer......lolz!

First of all I am a fiarly simple guy and you probably could best me in "theology"....Im sure you a very educated person....and for that I commend you.....

Muhammad was a simple man and could not read, write or speak eloquently. He knew just as much as the ordinary commoner in those days, which wasn't much.

For some it is a belief, others, it is a lifestyle.

So you were saying that its not your lifestyle?????
Just a convenience when you want to look good or trying to debate with someone????
I thought you were pretty damn smart when I read all that stuff you wrote on your site.....but now I think your just another religious hypocrite....

Mind you I am not against any religion...and I agreed with alot that you stated in your site......I have a spirituality that helps me to try to be a better person on a daily basis.....EVERYDAY....EVERYWHERE....regardless of my circumstances......and I think that being an asshole just for the sake of being an asshole wouldnt make me feel very spiritual......what do you think?

Please try to respond with the brain your god gave you....Im not trying to argue anymore...I actually am interested at this point.
PM me if you want or just post here.....
Peace
Reece

Dear Deliverance6,

Eventhough I think you're right, as a muslim I'm bothered that Jinn's behaviour might mistakenly be associated with him being a muslim. I don't think that any religion should be an issue for discussion in this forum. I'd be grateful if you'd continued your discussion privately.

Thanks & Peace
Lion