Mithras...or Morbid Angel?

VIVIsectVI

I Think,Therefore You Are
Jul 26, 2004
Wales, UK
younggod.deviantart.com
Okay, so i'm being argumentative, but not just for the sake of it. :D i've been listening to Mithras' two C.D releases the past month ('Forever Advancing...Legions' & 'Worlds Beyond The Veil') and it struck me that this band, particuarly in the latter album, outshine morbid angel (?) No, really. They do...anyone agree? This band has just come from nowhere, and sound...well :OMG:

I'm expecting a lot of flak for this, but...I urge all Morbid Angel fans to go buy 'Worlds Beyond The Veil' its better than heretic any day.

I don't fucking understand this comparison, though I've gone through both bands discographies trying to figure out how one compares a mediocre band, overall (like Morbid Angel) to an amazing atmospheric, progressive band such as Mithras. Hell yes, most of what Mithras has done outshines Morbid Angel, except maybe Blessed Are the Sick which is classic. I believe Mithras' albums will shine on as classic in the future also.

I presonally think that Mithras are better than Gateways to Annihilation, Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, and maybe Heretic, but they are not better than Blessed are the Sick, Altars of Madness, or Covenatant. They are pretty much on par with Domination.

I thought about the comparison, particuarly in the similar styles & song construction Morbid Angel & Mithras use...then I guess i thought mithras were doing it better. Heh. Morbid Angel are really, really overrated though, sure Sandoval and Azagthoth are amazing musicians, but personally the only Morbid Angel album that impressed me was 'Formulas Fatal To The Flesh'

They are not better than Morbid Angel, but Mithras is still pretty kickass. I have a hard time listening to Worlds Beyond the Veil from end to end, that's not the case with any Morbid Angel.

I don't see the comparision...Morbid Angel's first four are much better than Worlds Beyond the Veil..which I find really boring.....I won't defend the rest of Morbid Angel's releases because they aren't very good

Maybe it's just me then (!) other than a few choice tracks of Morbid Angel, I find most of their material difficult to sit through in an album, of course there's always the killer tracks (invocation of the contiunal one) Everyone seems unanimous in agreeing that the 'Vincent' era albums are untouchable...I still think they're overrated. I find Mithras infinately more interesting/better any day : )

Havent heard Mithras.

But, about the MA albums. Well, kill me, i dont like Blessed Are The Sick. Altars of Madness is the best album and Formulas is just behind. Yes, i know theyre very different, but almost equal to me. Altars is just a little better. And Blessed is the only one i dont like.

My taste is weird.

I'm actually just sick of old school death metal right now.

I think the Mithras stuff is a love/hate relationship (and this thread's backed up that philosophy). Some people think it's great because it's atmospheric and crushing at nearly the same time. The others hate it because it is uninteresting/can't hold their attention.

I rather like to make the comparison between Nocturnus and Mithras, for obvious reasons.

I was going to say i prefer Nocturnus over Morbid Angel, 'Threasholds' was stuck on "ye olde recorde decke" (turntable) for far longer than anything MA did. 'Blessed...' failed to impress me as much. O.k so 'The Ancient Ones' is a good track, but the rest of the album...other than perhaps 'Doomsday Celebration' is a bit of a dud. Everyone i've spoken to around here worships it. Why?

Oddly enough, I have a few magazines from the time that really slag off the 'Blessed...' album.

Formulas is definately my favourite, and i'm worried it might be because of 'Invocation of the Continual One'...a track written in 1984! :\ 'Altars...' was the first album of theirs I had though, I used to love 'Chapel of Ghouls'...

But to all those who havent heard Mithras...get 'Worlds Beyond The Veil'! its like a mix of extreme brutality and ambience (like V.V.V.V.V said)

I don't like to consider Ethereal Tomb a Nocturnus album, mainly because it does somewhat of an injustice to masterpieces like The Key and Thresholds.