Anyone come across Mithras yet?

Okay it might bee tlall the beer and vodka talking, but this CD is starintgng gngng to do gfunny things to me...

Ziggy owes me nothing, I merely thank him for ditching that persona for Diamond Dogs instead. :D

EDIT: I still can't shake the shameless Domination worship. Even as good as this album seems, that Morbid Angel release is so special to me that resentment at mimicking it will be hard to avoid...

I mean come on! I was 15 when Domination came out, and still new to death metal, you know you'd be bitter too! :lol:

Hmmm, never really noticed those drum issues on Mithras. Just out of interest, in comparison, don't you guys find the drumming on Dechristianize pretty hollow or empty?

There are definitely filler bits on Mithras (like the intro), so it depends on what kind of mood you're in on whether you would just let the CD play throughout. I reckon since I never really listened to Morbid Angel, I still see the novelty in Mithras. :cool:

I was reading a recent interview with Trey the other day, and he basically says he hates Domination. He says it lacks focus compared to, say, Formulas. Interesting...

The drumming itself on Dechristianize is impeccable. The drum sound however, is rather poor. That was one of my initial gripes in regards to production. Tony lazaro basically pointed out that there were some probs and with the money they were allotted, they had to make the best of it.

In regards to Morbid Angel, everyone knows I find Domination to be 1 of their weaker efforts...

Yeah, the drum sound on Dechristianize makes it sound programmed, especially on the title track. Triggers perhaps? The drumming itself is very good, either way, but I've always felt the star of the show was Suzuki. Oh man, all those sweeping appregios!

EDIT: By the way, Mithras took several listens for it to all 'fall in place' for me.

This CD would be at #4 in my Top Ten list for 2003, would I have heard it early enough.

I thought so. If you remember, I scrambled to get both you and Papa Josh a copy before we had to submit our year end lists...but you only prove the point that it gets better over time. \m/

Thanks Dream. The only thing is though, I've heard it's a lot more straightforward DM, whereas Worlds.. was just a trippy psychadelic DM blastfest. A complete mindwarp. I'm curious to see how they compare, 'cos I've heard that that Legions is a bit more straightforward...which sounds like it could be 'pure Morbid' Angel cloning, but let's see what PJ has to say.

JayKeeley said:
Thanks Dream. The only thing is though, I've heard it's a lot more straightforward DM, whereas Worlds.. was just a trippy psychadelic DM blastfest. A complete mindwarp. I'm curious to see how they compare, 'cos I've heard that that Legions is a bit more straightforward...which sounds like it could be 'pure Morbid' Angel cloning, but let's see what PJ has to say.

See post directly above yours... :D