MITHRAS - excerpts from the Terrorizer review

THE GUITARIST IS ALSO THE DRUMMER!!! Holy crap! Nobody should be allowed to have that much talent. NOBODY!!! This guy can absolutely blow away 99.9% of all the guitarists around right now, and his drumming skills are absolutely sick!
Say what? It's time to listen to some MP3's \m/

LuminousAether said:
Why don't you get the band member's dicks out of your mouth before you write a review again? This is easily the most biased review I have ever read. Hilarious.
I'm not sure if anyone from Terrorizer Magazine reads this forum, assuming that's who you've aimed your comments towards. :Smug:

@npearce - like NAD said, check out Dave Suzuki (VR). Seriously disgusting amounts of talent on both guitars and drums. :cool:

Terrorizer writers/editors don't ever go outside their own inner-circle. They never return emails. They don't believe in the internet as a means of promotion or magazine sales.

Regarding Mithras: I'm a little disappointed in the drum sound. It sounds way to triggered. Anaal Nathrakh and Agoraphobic Nosebleed have more realistic sounding drums, and they use a drum machine. However, this is merely a production issue that will be taken care of with a bigger label and a better budget. I also think the thing where the drum rolls on the toms that go from right to left in the speakers went out of style in the 80's or so. It sounds a bit cheesy. Again, a producer could help in this area. Musically, Mithras is WAY ahead of any other death metal band in the UK.

So now that I am drooling to hear this band ... anyone have any tips on where I can get a sample track downloaded? The bands site is not much help ...

EDIT .. Nevermind, found some tracks on the site. For some reason these were not there a few days ago ...

So far musically pretty awesome, but the singer blows chunks, different no doubt, but he really takes away from the bands ability.

lurch70 said:
So far musically pretty awesome, but the singer blows chunks, different no doubt, but he really takes away from the bands ability.
On the GMD forum, someone posted a link to an Mithras MP3, and I downloaded it to check what all this fuss was about. I couldn't believe how bad those vocals were - it just sounded like someone shouting out the lyrics - but I guess they weren't bad enough for me to get the album.... When I did get the CD, the vocals turned out to be completely different (and better).

MP3 sample tracks (that are the unfinished product) should be damned to hell where all those apes live.

So wtf is this album still incredible? I haven't heard it in months until now and my answer is... sorta.

It is very muchly good death metal, but after many months and listens I don't think it will make any Top 10 of All Time lists of mine. Could be a contender for Top 10 Death Metal, but it's not OMG 10/10 BUY OR DIE!!!!!111111 by any means.

knob slobbing review said:
Mithras have not just re-defined death metal or even, the wider world of extreme metal, they have marked in the fabric of time an essence which will go before all as a totem to how powerful, individual and life affirming the feeling of our music is.
This could actually be true. There is something pretty amazing about this album, I just don't think it's perfect.

I give 10/10 scores on pure emotional feeling as opposed to importance of a release, this could be one of the more important albums in extreme metal in a few years, maybe, but it probably won't ever get a perfect score from me. I am still noticing new things about the album, little subtle guitarlines or drumfills, that's pretty impressive.

Allow to make a generalization based on observations: No one is talking about this band or that album anymore. t couldn't have been that important. Hell, Terrorizer didn't even include it in their Top 40 of 2003.

Again, i haven't heard it. But the hype surrounding that album sure died fast.

Just because an album isnt hyped doesnt make it any less of a great fucking album. I see your point but "Worlds beyond the Veil" is still one the best Death Metal releases I've heard in years. You can download 3 songs from each album on the their website too.

Fair enough. I'm judging the importance of the album based on its former hype, which was astounding (proclaiming it to be more important than Black Sabbath). It very well could be a helluva death emtal album, but does it live up to the hype that surrounded it for those 2 months?

I'm starting to think maybe I don't understand this album. This, along with the King Crimson and Kayo Dot albums from last year may provide the groundwork for the Future Sound of Music. o_O

Won't know for some years though.

I think this album was widely lauded because it sounded revolutionary, or at least attempts to create something that stands in opposition to a declining field of talent, but I'm not sure how influential it will become, especially since hype is naturally met with resistance. Either way, I hope their next album proves to be equally creative.