MITHRAS - excerpts from the Terrorizer review

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
"Worlds Beyond the Veil"

Rating: [10/10]

There is an old adage that goes: the best things come to those who wait. As a narrative to the climate of UK death metal internationally, it's a perfect way to describe the last decade at least. Yeah, sure we have produced bands like Benediction and Bolt Thrower and of course, Desecration.

Now the UK is producing acts that seriously threaten the Yanks' and Swedes' domination. Bands such as Akercocke with their blackened death; Gorerotted, yeah okay, they're more goregrind; the superb technically progressive darkness of Detrimentum and many others now clawing their way up.

Then there is Mithras.

With their second album, they have just delivered probably the best release of any artist in the UK, of any genre of music - ever.

With 'Worlds Beyond the Veil', Mithras have conquered not just death metal's throne but all of metal's as well.

Bold words? I suspect there will be some shaking heads in disapproval, but witness it's sheer power, gargantuan scale, and the mind-melting sounds and you'll be scraping yourself up off the floor afterwards in shocked awe and you will testify.

If the basis of music is to move, connect and emote the listener, then "Worlds..." does exactly that. And then some. This album is emotional depth charge of sheer concussion, literally draining you as slab after slab of sound crashes in on you with such compositional daring and flare rarely seen in the genre. The rush starts fomr the feet and consumes you in searing waves of adrenalin charged electricity leaving you covered with goosebumps.

Where death metal has this dark, furrowing feeling in its sound, weight and punishment, Mithras takes you where the sky meets the mountains; it's vast and timeless in effect - check out the instrumental "The Sands of Time".

The guitars are gonna be the main talking point; they mirror some mythological behemoth in scale. Death metal as a style has never sounded so, well, HUGE. Mithras back that sound with intent and substance. How? After the chasmic atmosphere of "Portal to the..." your ears melt at the unbelievable drum speed as the fastest double bass blast I have ever heard propels the title track - you have to listen agin just to catch it all. It's like looking into a tornado, you need time to get your head round the blast to see all, and it's topped off with god-like death vocals.

[...and then some track by track discussion...]

Mithras have single-handedly brought a new dimension and conciousness not just to death metal but to extreme music as a whole. "Worlds Beyond the Veil" is an album not just of its time but one for the ages, and Mithras will rise in the annals of music alongside such names as Sabbath or Maiden, or Metallica circa 'Master of Puppets', or Morbid Angel for the sheer far reaching influence their music brings to the world.

Mithras have not just re-defined death metal or even, the wider world of extreme metal, they have marked in the fabric of time an essence which will go before all as a totem to how powerful, individual and life affirming the feeling of our music is.

I've said it before and I will say it again: this is beyond. In fact this is beyond the ability of most bands. Not just for now but for evermore.

Essential.

OK I think this album rules, and as you've seen, I had it at my #3 spot, but by golly, even Mithras must be shaking their heads in embarrasment to a review like that. Do you think the guy, Stuart Banks, typed the whole thing out with one hand??? (I know I did, but that's besides the point). :loco:

Personally, I'd like to hear more from NAD and Papa Josh after they've had some more time with it. EDIT: and npearce. It is a bit easy calling it a Morbid Angel clone after a couple of listens, and I don't debate that, but quite honestly, it's a very good CD that gets better and more interesting over time. It's like one of those fucked up computer images where, if you stare long enough, you start seeing shapes and shit like that.

I've been listening to it everyday because each time I get something new out of it.

Well, shaking the Morbid Angel comparison will be hard, because many of the riffs on the album are straight out of Azagthoth's style. However...
I've said it before and I will say it again: this is beyond.
This is starting to ring true. Those moments where Mithras break lose of riff-based structure and just let everything howl in divergent time signatures are simply incredible. The drums sound like poop though, but are played extremely well. :loco:

I've listened to it several times now, and need many more times before I can absorb it fully. I'm finding it quite enjoyable.

JayKeeley said:
Had METALLICA’s “Orion” evolved into an orchestration of extreme metal, it would have probably sounded a lot like this.

I obviously think there's some truth to that.

NAD said:
However...
This is starting to ring true. Those moments where Mithras break lose of riff-based structure and just let everything howl in divergent time signatures are simply incredible.
I know it sounds a bit gay, but one of the Mithras guys was explaining in an interview that he would meditate before playing out some of those lead breaks. In fact, some of those leads you hear are all 'first takes'. And whilst playing, they would literally hit 'spritual awareness' - the ultimate natural high when consumed by the music.

I read a quote somewhere that "Worlds Beyond the Veil" was the death metal equivalent to "In the Nightside Eclipse". I really like that analogy.

That doesn't sound gay at all, and in fact I am not surprised in the least. Those moments have a very spontaneous feel, and are extremely emotional. Quite the fucking whirlwind upon first listen though!

JayKeeley said:
"Worlds Beyond the Veil" is an album not just of its time but one for the ages, and Mithras will rise in the annals of music alongside such names as Sabbath or Maiden, or Metallica circa 'Master of Puppets', or Morbid Angel for the sheer far reaching influence their music brings to the world.

this part made me snicker... that atrox chick needs to send her cd to this guy

If I were Mithras reading that review, I would contemplate suicide. Or at least, NEVER make another record ever again.

For them, the praise just can't get any better so they might as well go out in style.

With their second album, they have just delivered probably the best release of any artist in the UK, of any genre of music - ever.
This bit makes the review especially hard to swallow. "You know, I've only listened to this album 6 times, but I KNOW it's better than all of Sabbath, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Cream, and all those other dodgy group's releases put together!!!"

Yeah, even if he had said, "the best release of any METAL artist in the UK, of any METAL genre - ever", it would still have been a stretch.

Like I said, I think it's a phenomenal album, and for $8 for fucks sake, but for something so 'infinite', it's tough to describe it in such a 'finite' manner, you know? There is no best release ever, it's inherently impossible to claim that even if it's just an opinion.

NAD said:
"You know, I've only listened to this album 6 times, but I KNOW it's better than all of Sabbath, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Cream, and all those other dodgy group's releases put together!!!"
and it's true because you're not living in the fucking past. :Smug:
-neal

OK. I just got the Mithras CD today. Here's my first impression.

There is definitely some Morbid Angel worship going on, but only in the way that Nasum worships Napalm Death or Anaal Nathrahk worships Mayhem. There are similarities in sound and style, but the bands are able to maintain their identity easily. Mithras is way more psychedelic than MA.

THE GUITARIST IS ALSO THE DRUMMER!!! Holy crap! Nobody should be allowed to have that much talent. NOBODY!!! This guy can absolutely blow away 99.9% of all the guitarists around right now, and his drumming skills are absolutely sick! I can definitely tell he uses triggers for recording, but that is fairly common in death metal. A better production could clean up the obvious signs of triggering (especially on the bass drums).

So far, this band is absolutely sick! I'm amazed they aren't on a label like Relapse or Earache right now. I give them 6 months before their signed to a much bigger label. I'm sure they're getting all kinds of attention right now.

The album seems to ebb and flow between cosmic/psychedelic passages and brutal death metal. Sometimes within short periods of time, sometimes over longer passages. They do this the same way Isis does (only with a different style of music).

I can't imagine a fan of metal not liking this band immensely.

I'll keep you posted on my further listenings of the band.

Sincerely,
The Metal Genius

Yes. But that's a classic. They give 10/10 to classic releases more often than to current releases.

I believe Mithras was given a 10/10 for the same reason Aborym was given a 10/10 for 'Fire Walk With Us!'. They both are album that redefine a genre that has been growing stagnant. With that said, 'Worlds Beyond the Veil' is NOT 'Fire Walk With Us!' . . . . . . yet, at least.

npearce said:
THE GUITARIST IS ALSO THE DRUMMER!!! Holy crap! Nobody should be allowed to have that much talent. NOBODY!!!
Did you ever bother with Vital Remains this year my friend? :D

Mithras grows and grows with each listen. 5 years from now I can imagine myself looking back saying "god damn. Yep, these boys along with King Crimson lead the genre to new heights before even realizing it."