matteo95

Mar 12, 2016
I'd be glad to receive any tips and feedbacks on this mixtest I just finished:

Feel free to ask me any question regarding the workflow!

Last edited:
This one sounds better than your previous mix. But there are still a few problems with it.

I like this guitar tone, it's much better than previous one. But it's too loud and your guitars distorted too much, try to use a little bit less gain on them.

As for a drums, they loose something here. Your previous drums slammed a mix much better. Also there is something wrong with your toms.

And finally your mix is overcompressed. Make your guitars and bass quiter, find right balance and try to compress your master bus so hardly

Reactions: matteo95
This one sounds better than your previous mix. But there are still a few problems with it.

I like this guitar tone, it's much better than previous one. But it's too loud and your guitars distorted too much, try to use a little bit less gain on them.

As for a drums, they loose something here. Your previous drums slammed a mix much better. Also there is something wrong with your toms.

And finally your mix is overcompressed. Make your guitars and bass quiter, find right balance and try to compress your master bus so hardly
Thanks for all these advices,you've been really helpful! Yes now sounds better,is not digital sounding as the prevoius one and more gritty. The excess of gain is a problem that actually I tried to solve,I'll try to smooth it more and try to put less overdrive on the guitar! As i come back home I'll work on it. Thanks again.

The excess of gain is a problem that actually I tried to solve,I'll try to smooth it more and try to put less overdrive on the guitar! As i come back home I'll work on it.
That's not actually a big problem, try to reduce gain just a little bit to get more transparent palm mutes on your guitars. But don't reduce it too much, otherwise you will loose an energy of your mix

Hey man - listened through to this - I didn't know this song before I saw this post but I did listen to the original after I listened to yours.

-- Compared to the original, I would say there is more punch to your mix, HOWEVER, the tonal balance between the guitars/bass/drums just doesn't sit the way theirs does. When you listen to the original, it's like the drums and guitars are literally in tune with each other. I'm not talking about timing / quantizing, etc, but I'm talking about the tonal characteristics. If you could figure this out, it would be a huge step in the right direction.

-- The drums at about 1:18 are all over the place. Sounds fake... because it is fake... but still, I would do something to the toms (sound like they are the next room over), and if you're going to use a bunch of reverb I would maybe even suggest making them very upfront for the "boom boom" parts. More of an artistic suggestion, but that stood out to me a lot. Compared to the original, it loses its effect big time.

-- The glitch guitar parts (?1:40) are really ineffective. Need to make this sound cooler.

I realize these things seem small in the grand scheme of a mix, but one of the best pieces of advice a producer ever told me was "what are you going to do to take this from "local act" to "national headlining act?"

First of all,thanks to everybody that gave tips and advices about it. I really appreciate that someone spent some time to listen and give feedbacks about my work! I invite you to check my last update and other mixes on my channel!

You did a good job with your guitars. You still have some problems with your drums, as they sound fake, and some issues with your toms. But your mix have a nice overall sound. I would wish you to practice more and to find your own original sound