Mix/master a 5 song EP for my Rock band- Midi drums, DI bass and guitars $400 o.b.o.

Basically the guy is saying:
I used to be like you trying to make money off audio,then I went to school instead,opened a REAL business,so now I can pay you schmucks $80 a song to mix.
because why bother with this myself when I already got like 35 "professionals" begging for the job.

P.S. I'm surprised to see so many UK entries. Fifty fucking quid is massive ….

Oh, it's this guy again. o_O

I'm sorry, I fully understand that not everyone has a huge budget, but $400 to mix and master a 5-song EP, while having to reamp guitars and bass, check the drum MIDI to make sure it's properly humanized, pick the proper drum kit for the context of the record, and then do all of the standard mix prep before you even start mixing.... It just seems horribly low. I'm not ragging on anyone, but $400 for what could easily be a week's worth (potentially more depending on revisions, etc) of skilled work just seems insulting.

That's just my personal view on it, so take it for what it is.

I'm sorry, I fully understand that not everyone has a huge budget, but $400 to mix and master a 5-song EP, while having to reamp guitars and bass, check the drum MIDI to make sure it's properly humanized, pick the proper drum kit for the context of the record, and then do all of the standard mix prep before you even start mixing.... It just seems horribly low. I'm not ragging on anyone, but $400 for what could easily be a week's worth (potentially more depending on revisions, etc) of skilled work just seems insulting.

Yeah I can definitely understand why you feel that way. For me personally I downloaded the track just to practice and then I enjoyed the music and thought it might be fun to mix the entire EP if he wanted me to. If I didn't like the music I probably wouldn't have sent him a message. Though I definitely make no claims to be professional haha. Just something I enjoy for now and maybe in the future I might do more with it.

You're right, it's a low budget indeed and that's what I was thinking actually but after all he's honest from the start saying what he wants for that and if the music is good it can be a cool job for some. So everyone choose to respond or not.

You're right, it's a low budget indeed and that's what I was thinking actually but after all he's honest from the start saying what he wants for that and if the music is good it can be a cool job for some. So everyone choose to respond or not.

That's a good point, and I really wasn't trying to rag on anyone.

Sorry for the derailment. I think the tune is quite good.

What's the tempo for this? I figure it's around 160bpm?

Edit: Got it, it's 162 for anyone else wondering.

Edit2: Ok, mapping is all kinda fucked up for me on EZD2. It's riding the china which I think should be a crash from listening to the provided drum stem, and some other things I'm not sure about. Anyone else having this problem?

Hey guys, these were some really solid submissions! I hope you all enjoyed the song/stems to work with.

We've been fortunate to get an opening with Jordan from Artifex Pereo here in Louisville. I'll post the final mixes when I get them back!

https://soundcloud.com/earlygrayce-studios
https://www.facebook.com/artifexpereo

Fucking hell :lol: These threads invariably end exactly this way; People clamber over eachother to mix a promising sounding track, eager for the work and the subsequent recognition. Arguments break out about fees and the industry, then they go with someone off the forum anyway.

Not surprised either, but it still feels like a slap in the face considering he said tomorrow was the deadline...

I'm sorry that you feel this way. In the original post I said that we had some local contenders as well as well as what my budget was. I've been fair and transparent the whole time.

I was feeling bad about this earlier, but I thought about it and the alternative was to not post this and not give other people a shot to work on the project.

Would it matter if the person I chose was someone from this board or gearslutz (where I also posted it) or not? Did having local contenders actually decrease anyone's chance of getting the gig? (1/37 vs. 1/35 chance of getting it?) Jordan actually reads this board from time to time fwiw.

A couple years ago I posted stems from a project I worked on and people were happy to have good source material. I'm sorry if posting this was a waste of anyone's time.

I'm sorry that you feel this way. In the original post I said that we had some local contenders as well as well as what my budget was. I've been fair and transparent the whole time.

I was feeling bad about this earlier, but I thought about it and the alternative was to not post this and not give other people a shot to work on the project.

You're more than welcome to take your business anywhere, but it does seem - based on your post - that you were inclined to hire a local and posted here just in case or something. Also, saying you were totally transparent but omitting the gearsluts threat seems contradictory. If you were not that serious, perhaps you should had said so and people wouldn't feel disillusioned

Places like Crowd Audio make people commit to their offers and that is probably why things like this don't happen. Maybe this kind of job offers do the forum more harm than good.

Regardless, hope the project works out well. It's a really promising song.

Would it matter if the person I chose was someone from this board or gearslutz (where I also posted it) or not? Did having local contenders actually decrease anyone's chance of getting the gig? (1/37 vs. 1/35 chance of getting it?) Jordan actually reads this board from time to time fwiw.

A couple years ago I posted stems from a project I worked on and people were happy to have good source material. I'm sorry if posting this was a waste of anyone's time.

My gripe is giving a deadline but then deciding to use someone off site before you've even given everyone on here a chance to submit their mix. You never know, somebody here could have submitted a mix last night that blew you away.

Anyways, good luck with the project.

My gripe is giving a deadline but then deciding to use someone off site before you've even given everyone on here a chance to submit their mix. You never know, somebody here could have submitted a mix last night that blew you away.

Anyways, good luck with the project.

That's fair. The deadline was arbitrary and was only created at the request of members of the board, but you are right that I should have waited until I got all the mixes in to make a final decision.

If it's any consolation, I do think many of you are talented and submitted great work. It's good to know that this out here because my guitarist is in a few bands and could be looking for help mixing other projects.

I know you already have someone for the job, but I really liked this song and wanted to try my hand at mixing it. My try.