MIX MY BAND'S SONG *TRACKS AVAILABLE*

Are you sure the vocals are set correctly? poidaobi :) When importing the timing becomes wrong,because they are mp3's or something. So you have to get the vocals to come in @ a later point.

I Imported them and they are all the same length and size as the other tracks so I assumed they were lined up correctly. They are sd2 files and I converted them to wav. No mp3's.

Hahah whoops..they are comming in a beat early right? wtf...

I Imported them and they are all the same length and size as the other tracks so I assumed they were lined up correctly. They are sd2 files and I converted them to wav. No mp3's.

Hahah whoops..they are comming in a beat early right? wtf...

The .jar file holyhavok posted and which I downloaded at least contains .mp3 files, and they need to be realigned properly to the other tracks and as it seems even with respect to each other. I use to nudge/split vocal tracks more or less anyways but for this I need to listen to the "original" arrangement in order to roughly find the "right" place in the song. I actually had to realign the OH wavs too.. hmm.. Obviously, I've done something wrong.

poidaobi; did you find another link for the vox?? Perhaps they come in auto-converted from mp3 to sd2 into your DAW..

And so far, very nice mixes folks (although I like the original too, it's got a different vibe to it that seems to fit the band's style). Perhaps I'll up my try anyways..

Anyway, this is lots of fun, many thanks to holyhavok and SoM, it was certainly worth the wait!

I think I've got them in time now. I know what I did...it's cause I chopped off the start of the other files before the vocals were posted.

On the files though. What I'm downloading are sd2 files. I then used an sd2 to wav converter and them import into Cubase.

I'll have the mix up tomorrow. I did my next one with the natural snare.

The .jar file holyhavok posted and which I downloaded at least contains .mp3 files, and they need to be realigned properly to the other tracks and as it seems even with respect to each other. I use to nudge/split vocal tracks more or less anyways but for this I need to listen to the "original" arrangement in order to roughly find the "right" place in the song. I actually had to realign the OH wavs too.. hmm.. Obviously, I've done something wrong.

poidaobi; did you find another link for the vox?? Perhaps they come in auto-converted from mp3 to sd2 into your DAW..

And so far, very nice mixes folks (although I like the original too, it's got a different vibe to it that seems to fit the band's style). Perhaps I'll up my try anyways..

Anyway, this is lots of fun, many thanks to holyhavok and SoM, it was certainly worth the wait!

Thanks man!! I love that everyone is digging everything. The vocal tracks got screwed up somehow. they are a bit off in timing, you should just be able to push them wherever you need them to go :kickass: And with the Overhead tracks, if you line up the ends of the files and cut some of the begining, they will line up perfectly. :headbang: Im not sure if Im completly satisfied with the vocals. We may redo them. :worship:notworthy

First of all holyhavok I'd like to say again that you & your band are really good and I'm really enjoying mixing this song because of this.

Here's what I have after an hour and a half of playing:

Son of Man First Mix

Lots of work still to be done, snare is not great, some funny panning and I still haven't properly matched the vocals to the track. But it's already sounding fairly good. Let me know what you guys think so far. :)

I think I've got them in time now. I know what I did...it's cause I chopped off the start of the other files before the vocals were posted.

On the files though. What I'm downloading are sd2 files. I then used an sd2 to wav converter and them import into Cubase.

I'll have the mix up tomorrow. I did my next one with the natural snare.

how are you getting sd2 files?
You are the only one seeing sd2

the files are hosted on my site, and I'm only seeing .mp3.
I wish they were wav

I don't get this. I downloaded an uncorrupted rar, yet the oh wav's are longer than the rest of the tracks, and there is snare hits and shit in the overheads, but not in the snare tracks.

I don't get this. I downloaded an uncorrupted rar, yet the oh wav's are longer than the rest of the tracks, and there is snare hits and shit in the overheads, but not in the snare tracks.

The overheads have too much silence in the begining. Line up the ends with the rest of the tracks to get them lined up. And yes there is snare hits in the OH. :erk: That is why we posted our song here, to see if you guys can figure a way around all that mess :headbang: And there should be 2 snare files :headbang:

It takes abit of playing with yes. My suggestion is to place markers, zoom in alot and go to a distinct point on your reference track, ex the break at 1:19.

OK, here we go ..

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13470

So many good suggestions have been posted by now, but nonetheless, I post my go at it.. Tried to do make it at a little bit organic sounding, some comments on this attempt:

- No editing (Toms lack power and "smack", snare power is not overwhelming, and there's too much cyms for a really hot master)
- Vocals are loud! I Didn't do much here. (vox are very good but like you implied yourself, I'm absolutely positive if you'd give it another shot you'd come out with something stellar!)
- You'll find some of your subdrops in there again too ..:kickass:
- Where's that -oct harmony part of the clean vocals?? (very fitting for holyavok's original mix)

Great arrangement, tracking, and perfomance, thanks again for sharing!!! :worship:

OK, here we go ..

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13470

So many good suggestions have been posted by now, but nonetheless, I post my go at it.. Tried to do make it at a little bit organic sounding, some comments on this attempt:

- No editing (Toms lack power and "smack", snare power is not overwhelming, and there's too much cyms for a really hot master)
- Vocals are loud! I Didn't do much here. (vox are very good but like you implied yourself, I'm absolutely positive if you'd give it another shot you'd come out with something stellar!)
- You'll find some of your subdrops in there again too ..:kickass:
- Where's that -oct harmony part of the clean vocals?? (very fitting for holyavok's original mix)

Great arrangement, tracking, and perfomance, thanks again for sharing!!! :worship:

Thanks man! The harmony track was destroyed :( Which is another big reason why I wanted to track vocals again. We were dissapointed in the OH. To much snare bleeding through it. Thanks for everyones hard work thus far! :headbang::kickass::kickass::kickass:

http://rapidshare.com/files/126670523/Son_Of_Man_-_Product_Of_Circumstance.mp3.html

There's my try.
I have to defend myself a little bit, because I have an inflammation in my earcanal, so "loud"sounds hurts my ears. :erk:
And on top of all this I just took my medicine, with has the same consistency as sirup, so imagine to mix with sirup in your ears! :lol:

Edit:

Oh, I just wanted to list the basic things ive done:

Kick - Gated, EQ'd, Expanded, Compressed, Sidechained to the bass.
Snare - Gated, EQ'd, softclipped, Compressed.
Toms - -II-.
OH - EQ'd, Panned.
Bass - Simulanalog JCM 900 clean channel, Multiband Compressor, Light EQ to let the kick and Snare in the mix.
Guitars - EQ'd, Panned, Chorus on lead.
Vocals - Panned, Distorted, EQ'd, Reverbed' Compressed.
Master - EQ'd, Compressed, Limited.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1266717...ircumstance_-_No_Vox_-_Brutalism_Mix.mp3.html

This is my contribution. I decided not to add the vox since you said you might re do them. I found them very difficult to mix and thought it would take ages for me to get it right.

So heres the music alone. I am using a demo version of dramagog so my samples are limited and I couldnt sample the toms, however I tried to make them cut in the mix as much as possible.

It is my first time mixing a fully fledged metal track like this and it has been a very good experience. At least the song is great so I enjoyed it a lot.

I hope you think it is passable on the same level as the rest.

Please critisize and comment. Thanks!

I have to defend myself a little bit, because I have an inflammation in my earcanal, so "loud"sounds hurts my ears.
And on top of all this I just took my medicine, with has the same consistency as sirup, so imagine to mix with sirup in your ears!

Wow , get well soon man.I can say that I almost deafened myself trying to mix this song (maybe I got into it a little too much lol) so I can only imagine how painful it must be for you.