mixing in group channels

xMannequiNx

Mar 29, 2009
I've been using all of my plugins while mixing (especially for vocals) separately on each track, with the same settings, for example gate, deesser, compressor, and eq on each track. However it is a pain in the ass to try and change all of them separately on each track.

If I were to send all my vox to a group track, what plugins could I run on the group that would sound the same as running them on separate tracks with the same settings?

so thats the only thing that can be done in a group?

what about saturation/harmonic excitement? Also, do you think vocal distortion for screams could be done well in a group channel or should they be done separately as well?

I always send all the raw vocal tracks (usually 20+) to different busses, being some of them "main vox", "harmony buss" and so on...

In those busses I apply the compression (usually there is only one vocal performance at the time on the main vox buss, so I compress having that in mind, however in the harmonies/choirs busses I'll need to have in mind there are several voices at once, hence my compression settings will differ). I always filter the busses the same way, unless, of course, i'd like to make an effect in some place. And finally the reverb/delay settings are different for choirs, harmonies and main vocals. The more upfront I want the buss to be, the less reverb and the most delay I'll use and vice-versa.

Cheers! :kickass:
-Erik