MIXING TIME, SONG3: Complete Feared song inside

Strings/gauge/tuning? Is this the guitar in the vid http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_mtm2wh.htm ?? are the pups passive on it?

Asking because the guitar DI's sound like UBERgood and bass too, what bass is it?

I'm already going for the MIXING PROJECT 2 :D HEEEEL YEAAAAH!!! :D

um don't really remember. probably 12-60. Tuned C with drop A#. In the white MTM2 there where Duncan design pickups.

ohh, i told some friends here in slovenia about your band, cuz it seems nobody knows your band here, and they cant stop talking about it, i guess you'll have to come here for a gig :p

Awesome dude! Be sure to tell them if they want to ask some questions or anything just find me on facerape

haven't really been posting much tits on that thread , I just step in when it gets incredibly out of hand over there with the super fat and ugly sluts. I try to leave it to the other guys but it usually goes to hell really quickly lol

You're the sunshine in that thread dude.

http://www.goear.com/listen/81e66e8/lord-resistance-army-feared

Hi everybody!

This is my try on that superb Feared song. I hope you like it, sugestions are of course welcome.

Since some of you said that it would be nice to share some info on how each one of us have aproached the mix of this song im gonna decribe what i used and did for those who might find it useful or interesting.

Arrangement.

I made some slight modifications in the arrangement of the song.

I changed some of the drum breaks between parts for others that i thought that would fit better. Added some double bassdrum parts matching what the guitar is doing in some parts of the riff. Changed the disposition of some rhythm crashes along the song, added some muted crashes for some parts (like in 1:03)and corrected some parts where appeared too many drum notes at the same time that a real drummer couldnt play it. I also humanized velocities and timing a little bit.

I saved the guitar fill track and the scream track that enter in the chorus part so they appear progresively as the song develops instead of appearing on every single chorus. The first one goes only with clean vocals, i only opened the scream track when the singer says "give me a helping hand". The second chorus goes exactly as the first one. In the third and last of the choruses i left the scream track opened so it sounds along all the chorus, i felt that it would be nice that this last chorus lasted twice as long so i doubled it and in this last doubled chorus i made the snare hit in quarter notes instead of half notes and also added the guitar fill track i had been keeping.

Drums

I used SD2 for drums but replaced kick, snare and toms with slate samples so i mostly kept only ambiences and cymbals from SD2.

Bass

I Used the clean DI take for lows mixed with a distorted track using revalver and recabinet for definition.

Guitars

I used revalver and recabinet for reamping guitar DI tracks. The cabinet impulse is the same for both rhythm guitars but i changed the head for each of the tracks to get different sounds.
For lead guitars i used guitar rig.
I also used some effects for some parts of the song. In the intro i used the extra guitar track that is like an strumming arrangement and put a gapper effect on it to slice the audio in 16th note segments syncroniced with the tempo of the song. This happens in the intro and ending. the rest of the parts where this arrangement appaears it only have a regular flanger.

Vocals

I didnt did much processing on the vocals. Just some eq and compression. I also used a few delays on them, the length of the delays sepends on the time of vocals and the part of the song, i also automated them along the song leaving some parts almost dry and another ones pretty wet.

I think that´s all. I hope it wont bore you so much :p

If anyone has any question feel free to ask, and of course all suggestions are welcome.

Howdy fellow sneapsters, I got tired of trying to record and mix my own songs because I always seem to end up hating them...so now I've decided to practice my mixing skills on other peoples songs till I feel comfortable moving back into my own songs again. I love this song so naturally this is the first one I tried to do, I hope I've done it justice. I've only mixed about 2 of my own songs (badly) but I guess this is the first song I've mixed where I have some quality tracks to work with.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated, I really wanna move up in the world of mixing so don't be scared to point out every minor detail that sucks about my mix :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20841509/fearedse.mp3

Howdy fellow sneapsters, I got tired of trying to record and mix my own songs because I always seem to end up hating them...so now I've decided to practice my mixing skills on other peoples songs till I feel comfortable moving back into my own songs again. I love this song so naturally this is the first one I tried to do, I hope I've done it justice. I've only mixed about 2 of my own songs (badly) but I guess this is the first song I've mixed where I have some quality tracks to work with.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated, I really wanna move up in the world of mixing so don't be scared to point out every minor detail that sucks about my mix :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20841509/fearedse.mp3

I hear you Gregg! I suggest you to record covers of your favorite bands and practice with them. That way you wont have the pressure of thinking that it is your own band what you´re mixing and, in the other hand, mixing a cover, you´ll always have a good reference point to compare your mix with.

Cheers!