MJR's tone on Twilight in Olympus

SyXified

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
www.unholymothers.com
Recently it occured to me that MJR's tone on Twilight in Olympus is absolutly phenominal. Especially his lead tone, the solos are so warm and yet the notes so distinguishable with the exact right amount of distortion. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how he got that lead tone on the album. If I remember correctly, he was using the ESP M-II with the Tone Zone in the neck and the X2N in the bridge. Was he using the Vetta on that album? If so, which amp and cab models? Also any thoughts on just how to approach that tone in recording (ie mic placement, effects, etc) I would be interested. Thanks!

during twilight I think he was still using emg's and a triaxis setup, maybe Im wrong though, but you are right, romeo's tone on that album is awesome

What a question!!! The MEsa Boogie Triaxis is an AWESOME tube preamp...there's 5 tubs in the back. Used by Metallica and loads of other heavy bands.
It has 8 modes, all different. The cool thing is that the different modes actually refer to different circuits and circuit boards in the unit...not just a different mode....so it's like owning a whole arsenal of tine... Retail at about £2000 UK. Lovely bit of kit. Check out www.mesaboogie.com. Takes loads of tweaking, but there's sooo much tone in there.

I just sold mine for £800 (so you can get em cheap), to pay for my Vetta rig :)

The Triaxis is one of the best metal/shred preamps in the world, its at least in the top 3. When it first came out it was way to much money though (paying for the brand name) I believe it was well over $2000..but now you can get them for around $1000 used because everyone under the sun uses them now.

I for one love the Rocktron Prophesy, its just as good as the triaxis but far more flexable and has just about everything in it..plus its cheaper..

Are you serious that his tone on that album is EMGs? I generally HATE EMG tone. I was under the impression that as of Divine Wings of Tragedy he was onto the Dimarzio pickup combo. I can definitly see the amp being a triaxis, but I associated MJR's EMG tone with the tone on self titled and Damnation Game, after that the sound really seemed to change. Hmm, oh well, I guess if he can make them work and not sound sterile and plastic ala Kirk Hammet then he's got the magic touch

SyXified said:
Are you serious that his tone on that album is EMGs? I generally HATE EMG tone. I was under the impression that as of Divine Wings of Tragedy he was onto the Dimarzio pickup combo. I can definitly see the amp being a triaxis, but I associated MJR's EMG tone with the tone on self titled and Damnation Game, after that the sound really seemed to change. Hmm, oh well, I guess if he can make them work and not sound sterile and plastic ala Kirk Hammet then he's got the magic touch

nope from what I understand he used the x2n/tone zone combo on the newest album and now live, before that all emg's, again I could be wrong though