Twilight in Olympus

There is nothing wrong with solos in shows. 311 (which I went to a couple weeks ago), played this one:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=I81lxvvhXxk[/ame]

They pretty much played it exactly like in the video, :OMG: It was awesome, check out the band drumming together about 1/2 way through.

yes....I realize the sound is out of sync, I didn't upload it. Someone was :Smokin:

Drum solos can be very fun and exciting... and yes, they can go on for a long time while keeping you interested.
The only problem is that most drummers do not know how to keep a good solo going (Not saying that I can).
Portnoy, although I love the guy, executes the wrong way to solo (IMO). Just going over your favourite fill idea over and over again isn't exciting for more than 8.397 seconds.

Here's a solo that shows you how to have fun and keep it exciting:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a cool drum solo, but it had other instruments join in as well. I can't stand most drum solos for more than a few minutes, since there's usually nothing but drums playing. Whenever just one instrument is playing I get bored. That's why I can't listen to most of that singer-songwriter type stuff where it's just a vocal and an acoustic guitar.

Very cool drumming there. Never heard of that dude before, but he is definetly a master with drums... Actually the whole band seems to be very very talented.

Oh, I'm very familiar with Dave Weckl. Amazing drummer :worship:

My favourite drummer, however, as I've stated on these forums before, is Gavin Harrison. That guy plays with such feel, and he's definitely got a lot of technical skill under his belt.

I posted some vids of him playing in Frankfurt a while back. His performance was just mindblowing. I'll post my fave video from that night as well:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy0nRVHnQM&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats cuz Drums overtake all.

I haven't seen that first Gavin video before, the second one Ir emember seeing when they were first posted on DW, both videos were great.

Im a big fan of Gavin, he's a great drummer. Its nice to see him finally start getting some of the recognition he deserves.