MMA

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/01/sonnen-vs-bisping-official-ufc.html

Bisping didn't get robbed, the right call was made. Chael was more aggressive, he attempted and landed more strikes and takedowns. First round: Chael 10-9; second: Bisping 10-9; third: Chael 10-9. Obviously the judge that scored it 30-27 got it wrong, but in the end it didn't matter.

People expected Chael to steamroll over Bisping, and when he didn't I think that clouded people's judgements of the fight, even though he still did more than Bisping. I was expecting to see Chael dominate Bisping like he did Brian Stann, but after this close of a fight I think Bisping deserves a little more credit, even though I don't like him.

Anyway, the main card didn't live up to my expectations. Maia looked horrible and for the life of me I don't know why he decided to strike with Weidman. His striking has improved but it's still not very good. He has high level jiu jitsu yet he kept it standing. Then they both just got gassed and it was pretty boring. Evans vs. Davis was boring too. Oh well.

^ He may have, that would explain a lot.

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/01/sonnen-vs-bisping-official-ufc.html

Bisping didn't get robbed, the right call was made. Chael was more aggressive, he attempted and landed more strikes and takedowns. First round: Chael 10-9; second: Bisping 10-9; third: Chael 10-9. Obviously the judge that scored it 30-27 got it wrong, but in the end it didn't matter.

People expected Chael to steamroll over Bisping, and when he didn't I think that clouded people's judgements of the fight, even though he still did more than Bisping. I was expecting to see Chael dominate Bisping like he did Brian Stann, but after this close of a fight I think Bisping deserves a little more credit, even though I don't like him.

Anyway, the main card didn't live up to my expectations. Maia looked horrible and for the life of me I don't know why he decided to strike with Weidman. His striking has improved but it's still not very good. He has high level jiu jitsu yet he kept it standing. Then they both just got gassed and it was pretty boring. Evans vs. Davis was boring too. Oh well.

I agree with you, and I scored the Sonnen-Bisping fight the same as you.

And as for Maia, yah he looked awful as well. I forget when the fights were changed but Weidman is a much more difficult opponent than Bisping (Chael on the other hand, had it easier). I think also Maia thought it would easier to strike with a wrestler given his improved standup rather than take a risk and grapple with an wrestler who was impressive at Abu Dhabi. I'm not surprised Weidman won, I think he's got a ton of potential.

I have not seen one interesting fight with Bisbing,Rashad Evans,Forest Griffin,Rampage Jackson,And Tito Ortiz. Most boring fights ever.

The fuck have you been watching?

Bisping Vs Henderson
Rashad Evans vs Lyoto Machida
Forest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar
Rampage Jackson vs Ricardo Arona
Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Lidell (2nd fight)

Watch those and tell me you haven't seen a good fight.

I don't really like Diaz' personality and attitude, but I really like watching him fight. It's gonna be a good one tonight, whoever wins.

Should be a great card! So far so good, great Karate head kick KO already.

Not sure who'll win between Diaz and Condit though. I give Diaz the overall edge, but Condit could very well win by KO. Should be a gritty, bloody fight. I'll be rooting for Condit, but I think I'd rather see Diaz vs. St-Pierre.

I think Werdum will beat Nelson, Pierce/Koscheck is kind of a toss up but I'll favour Koscheck, and I'll pick Barao to beat Jorgenson, Herman to beat Starks.

Condit did a great job staying away from Nicks attacks.
lol at Diaz retiring. what a chump

Yeah, what a baby...He always says that they pay him well, but he always complains he's not getting paid enough.

I think Diaz relied too much on the hopes that Condit would engage and play into his game, that he wasn't able be as effective. And Condit brought a pretty solid strategy to this fight.

I found the preelim card to be much more entertaining than the main one. Edwin Figueroa is very entertaining to watch, and Dustin Poirier pulled one fuck of a submission.

As for the Condit vs Diaz, Condit totally outfoxed Diaz. I don't think there's any debate on who the tougher guy is; Diaz would bury Condit alive if it was a full-on brawl, but Condit showed that MMA needs brains as much as muscles. Not a very entertaining match, but a highly technical one.

I'm creaming my pants in anticipation for UFC Japan. It's a shame Sotiropolous got injured. Seeing him fight Gomi would have been awesome.

This sums up my thoughts on the Diaz-Condit fight. Thank god there is going to be a rematch.

diazlol.gif

I admit that it wasn't the fight I had hoped for, but it's a sport first, entertainment second. And besides, you forgot about the part where, despite "running away", he was still able to win the fight.

Fights are scored on effective striking, grappling, aggression, and octagon control.

I hate the notion that Diaz was won simply because he was pushing forward. This alone does not equate to "aggression" alone as you have to actually be throwing punches and landing too. Diaz was moving forward yet he was outstruck by Condit by a fair margin. It should be obvious that Condit was the effective striker in a match that was primarily a striking battle. Though not a ton of damage was done in the fight, clearly the most effective blows were given by Condit with the couple of kicks and knees to the head, as well as the many kicks to the leg. It's ironic too that Diaz would be so critical of Condit's kicks as Diaz is well known for throwing tons of jabs, and "baby" or "pitter-patter" punches during fights.

Even if Diaz made better use of grappling, it hardly factored into the fight. Diaz got a nice takedown in round five, but remember it wasn't the only time he attempted to take the fight to the ground as Condit did stuff a couple of previous attempts which have to stand for something. Even with the takedown, Condit as able to stay out of trouble and nullify Diaz' submission attempts while being in a disadvantageous position.

Octagon control. This is something that Diaz is usually very good at, but not so much in this fight. Diaz typically aims to keep his opponent up against the fence while he unloads a barage of punches. Diaz is great at luring his opponent into his gameplan but in this fight, Condit was able to avoid the majority of Diaz' strikes by not allowing this to happen by moving, and picking his shots in the process. In essence, it was Condit that demonstrated more "octagon control" over the course of the fight as he was able to better implement his gameplan, dictate the pace of the fight, and take advantage of available opportunities.

Upon rewatch, I scored it differently but with the same end result. I have Condit winning rounds 1,3,4. Diaz, I gave him round 2 and even if Diaz wins round 5, it's still a win for Condit.

Even though I would rather see Diaz fight St-Pierre, the right man won.

I respect your opinion, and I'm not really interested in arguing about the fight anymore. I definitely believe it's a judgment call on the part of the judges (even though most of them are shit). Like I said, I'm glad there's going to be a rematch.

I'm just tired of people saying that Diaz was robbed, and that all Condit did was run. The same goes for the criticism of Lyoto Machida in his fights. Neither guy has ever pulled a Kalib Starnes before, not even close.

And I actually didn't know there was going to be a rematch, but I guess I'm not surprised because George is out until the end of the year. Plus, it's probably incentive for Diaz to stop moaning about retirement.

Rematch was called off by Diaz's coach, and now after Diaz was tested positive for marijuana, a rematch looks even more unlikely.

Anyone getting UFC Undisputed 3, btw ? I'm getting it for PS3 next week.

Diego Sanchez is always fun to watch. While his technique and striking aren't very clean, but he's a warrior, and will give hell to his opponents.

Stefan Struve was impressive.

I'm really happy for Bendo, that was a good title fight and the right decision. I'm super disappointed about Rampage, Okami, and Sexyama though.

If Edgar dropped down to featherweight and fought Jose Aldo... omg.