Modded Dual Rec- Gojira- Toxic Garbage Island

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
EDIT

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1569935/RecTest2.mp3

This is now recorded with a more "generic" chain.

I'm using a regular cable, not my impedance modded cables and a transformerless 57. One take each side, one mic.

Dual Rec/Rack with mercury magnetics trannys
Maxon OD-820 Pro (this needed boosting, I was heavy handed on the guitar DI's and it got a tiny bit flubby)
Mesa Rectifier 4x12
Transformerless SM57

bet that can be remedied by better/different mic placement. me thinks that Greg maybe dual-mic'd this and you're hearing some phase issues?

What cab is this Greg? Unboosted?

I fucking like it a lot. I think w/different mic placement and technique it'd be amazing.

sounds cool as hell on the shit computer speakers here at work. Did you find the mesa transformer lacking in comparison to mm or are there additional mods? Sorry if it has been currently discussed, I only drop in here a few days a week.

Sounds good but a little scooped? maybe a differente mic position would do the trick. Im under the impression that Gojira always use a dynamic or a condenser mic live and in the studio aswell .
What slates samples are those?? sound great .

Yeah it's dual mic'd. I tried to get that Gojira airiness to the track.

The cab is mic'd from a foot away. It's a really fucking chunky sounding amp now.

sounds cool as hell on the shit computer speakers here at work. Did you find the mesa transformer lacking in comparison to mm or are there additional mods? Sorry if it has been currently discussed, I only drop in here a few days a week.

It's transformers only on this one. The 6khz "fizz" is simply because of the stock transformers on these, I believe. The amp is much more balanced now. The low end is insane without being muddy. It's very tight and crisp. I may have additional mods done one day, but I think I need to feel this sucker out.

Sounds good but a little scooped? maybe a differente mic position would do the trick. Im under the impression that Gojira always use a dynamic or a condenser mic live and in the studio aswell .
What slates samples are those?? sound great .

Snare 18 and Kick 4 I think.

How could you describe this as hollow? Distant, I could understand. The mic was very far from the cab.

im not very good at throwing buzzwords around. i figured id be right on the money with one of them haha

Gonna have to agree with a lot of people here, distant, not much lows despite you saying how tight they are. Kinda middy.

Also the stereo image completely collapses into mono with the one note at :27. dunno what happened there. :/

No offense, but I don't think your micing did the amp any justice in this case.

Fuck the 12 inches stuff, be a man, grab a 57 and shove that sucker an inch away from the grille.

:headbang:

Yes, I'm being facetious, but really, try a different technique, I really want to hear this amp in all it's glory!

No offense, but I don't think your micing did the amp any justice in this case.

Fuck the 12 inches stuff, be a man, grab a 57 and shove that sucker an inch away from the grille.

:headbang:

Yes, I'm being facetious, but really, try a different technique, I really want to hear this amp in all it's glory!

Send me some DI's/drums and bass stems and you've got it Charlie.

sounds like the "tightness" is more of a "lack of" low end. but I def. can tell the difference the transformer is making in the color. the sizzle is missing from the 5-6k area. makes it sound more like a 5150, more of a snarl than a bite.