Moderation & Board Issues

derek

Grey Eminence
Sep 30, 2005
Edinburgh, U.K.
As of today, Speed and myself have been made moderators for the board. I'm aware some of you out there probably won't be too happy about that, but hopefully we can work out any problems that exist.

I've spoke to Speed about this already and we have decided to take a fair and reasonable approach to any problems that occur. We have no wish to become forum dictators, but we will close down silly or pointless threads and ban users whom do not contribute anything but nonsense.

If anyone has any issues or problems about threads, fellow board users or posts then PM either of us and we will try and sort out the situation in a fair and rational manner.

-Derek

Final Product has done an excellent job here.

Id like to add the fact, that if one posts a thread that's poorly written, and not on topic, one of us will close it and pm said thread starter about needing to edit the thread before it will be reopened.

Norsemaiden said:
Fair and rational sounds good! Debate requires controversial views to be permitted.

I fully agree. Democracy raises questions and debate. Sometimes controversial at times. But we cannot just take those that appeal to our very own sensibilities, or dismiss those that challenge our own value system of intellectual foundation. We have to continue to ask questions and raise the bar.

Two great quotes that I never forget as I keep an open mind in this complex world we live in:

“The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I acquire, the more I am enabled to affirm that I know nothing”........Voltare

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”.....Voltare

Words to live by!

Final_Product said:
As of today, Speed and myself have been made moderators for the board.

I'm against moderation. As Blake says, "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."

Well, the runners of the forum wanted some sort of moderator and when offered, I said yes. I don't think I am perhaps the best choice, however.

Final_Product said:
Well, the runners of the forum wanted some sort of moderator and when offered, I said yes. I don't think I am perhaps the best choice, however.

Ah but Blake also says: If a fool would persist in his folly, he would become wise. Hence, who knows, before long we may become qualified.

I think you are pretty well-qualified, the two of you. You're open to learning. Main thing to do is watch traffic patterns, and realize that not all traffic is equal. And tolerate us trolls of course of course...

I for one, respect and appreciate moderation. After being a regular over at Judas Priest.com for over a year, this site is like a breath of fresh air. Differing opinions and respect for one another are good.....but civility and keeping the peace are more important. Keep up the good work!

Final product has been calling me a racial supremacist and censoring me. I am not a racial supremacist. I do not think any race is superior to another, but I am loyal to my race just as I am loyal to my family over other people. It is not hate, it is love. I totally disagree with lording it over anyone.

Quote from Sunday Times review dated Jan 22 2006
Article "How my Neighbourhood was lost to the Multiculture" by Peter Whittle
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-2003576,00.html

"As the old saying goes, the definition of a racist is anybody who's winning an argument with a liberal - one who is, after all, used to setting all the guidelines for what passes for national debate, is insulated from the effects of his opinions, and doesn't much care for being challenged."

I believe the way you word your posts hints towards white supremacy, yes.

I also have not censored anything you have said.

In the sense that I feel I am about to be banned from the philosophy forum and have to self censor myself after you stopped the thread that you found offensive, that is how you have censored me. I think it would surprise the Americans because they have less idea of how restricted free speech is on race in Britain. Wheras you seem to think the laws here are reasonable on that subject - is that so?
You say "hints towards white supremacy" that is a very mild sin on my part by your own confession. Come on Derek, I only want to express an opinion, be reasonable. No one could get insulted!

Norsemaiden said:
In the sense that I feel I am about to be banned from the philosophy forum and have to self censor myself after you stopped the thread that you found offensive, that is how you have censored me. I think it would surprise the Americans because they have less idea of how restricted free speech is on race in Britain. Wheras you seem to think the laws here are reasonable on that subject - is that so?

You are not about to be banned, Speed and I have both agreed that is the last option we wish to choose. I actually did not find the post you made offensive, I simply thought the wording and tone were perhaps a little racist and made the decision to close it while I made a decision.

I do not think the laws are reasonable. I see the entire species as the same, different socially and perhaps in appearance of physicality, but we are all in the same boat. However, that does not mean that I agree with the state of affairs over here. Political correctness CAN indeed go too far. Hatred should, of course, be illegal...but the expression of general observations should remain the territory of free speech.

Honestly, I will try to be more careful. I don't hold it against you that you have the views you have on the subject. I just think its a shame when someone with a controversial take on things can't express themselves freely. Not a problem for most people though. I may have wrong views which if challenged I would change. But we can never get to that challenging part. Oh well!
Tell me if my sig is a problem.

Norsemaiden said:
Honestly, I will try to be more careful. I don't hold it against you that you have the views you have on the subject. I just think its a shame when someone with a controversial take on things can't express themselves freely. Not a problem for most people though. I may have wrong views which if challenged I would change. But we can never get to that challenging part. Oh well!
Tell me if my sig is a problem.

It was not so much the controversial views as the tone and language. People are free to express whatever they wish, providing it does not ooze of hatred or any sort of hidden agenda.

If you want to warn someone about something dangerous and deadly it doesn't mean that you hate the dangerous thing. Hatred is a very negative emotion and bad for the immune system. People who advocate hate are not people I would get on with at all. I expect we're in agreement there.

Norsemaiden said:
If you want to warn someone about something dangerous and deadly it doesn't mean that you hate the dangerous thing. Hatred is a very negative emotion and bad for the immune system. People who advocate hate are not people I would get on with at all. I expect we're in agreement there.

Entirely.

I'm genuinely glad you are around, I only ask that we are all reasonably understanding.

:)