Modern Classics

Master_Yoda77

Juggalo
Mar 30, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
I know both these terms are pretty vague, but after discussing certain albums that are approaching their 10 year anniversary (or already met), I find it interesting and sort of weird to think that these albums are 10 years old and they still seem so new. At the time of their release, I wonder if anyone thought these albums would still be listened to and valued so greatly.

For the sake of making this simple, the album has to be 10 years or older, but for it to be "modern" it needs to be released after the year 2000. So, anything between Jan 1st, 2000 to today's date, 2003.

The ones I'm discussing are

Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller

I hail these albums very high on the list of the best albums of the 2000s, especially Reverend Bizarre. That album is one of the best ever in doom metal.

What do you faggots think? Blut Aus Nord's "The Work Which Transforms God" is approaching 10 years, as is Darkspace "Darkspace I".

Aborted Goremaggedon/Engineering The Dead
Dying Fetus Destroy The Opposition/Stop At Nothing

Id add more if I could access my music on my computer but my itunes crashed, or something. All the music in it vanished and my music are all stored in a bunch of random places.

I'd have to agree on both Reverend Bizarre -In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend and Aborted Goremaggedon. Reverend for its part in doom revival and Aborted for that perfected sound made for the sub-genre.

Also Meshuggah - Destory Erase Improve.

BTW to me a "modern classic" is not just a good album, but an album that refreshed metal, and either created a new subgenre/sound or something that REALLY stood out compared to everything else. Like I could say Souls To Deny is one of the best brutal/technical death metal albums in history but it didn't do what Effigy Of The Forgotten did.

The first Periphery album for example, i'm sure none of you like it but it really stood out when it came out compared to other "djent" bands, or Abominable Putridity's last album, really defines what slam death metal is, therefore it can also be considered a "classic"

Opeth's Blackwater Park should be in this thread regardless, it definitely stands out to anything, not really better than previous Opeth albums though.

Necrophagists Epitaph and Decapitateds Nihility are pretty much what people think of when they hear "technical death metal" and really stand out since they have "groovier" riffs instead of just wankery, even though Necrophagist has alot of that. Also The Faceless Planet Duality And Nile Annihilation Of the Wicked are up there too.

Emperor's last album was in 2001 and kicked major fucking ass, definitely a good of example for that genre.

Evergrey - Recreation Day.
Soilwork - Figure Number Five.

Both these albums turn 10 this year and I think both are absolutley amazing. There may be more deserving albums to list, but I can't recall any off the top of my head that I loved this much.

From the past 5 years or so:

Beherit- Engram
Dead Congregation- Graves of the Archangels
Portal- Outre, Swarth
Averse Sefira- Advent Parallax
The Chasm- Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
Ares Kingdom- Incendiary
Darkspace- III
Revelation- Release
Teitanblood- Seven Chalices
Inquisition- Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
Profanatica- Disgusting Blasphemies Against God
Procession- Destroyers of the Faith (borderline)
Autopsy- Macabre Eternal
Mitochondrion- Parasignosis

I'm probably missing a few, but each of the above managed to make something of substance by working with the framework established by the classics of the genre and bring something new to the table.

The creativity in Finnish melodic metal pretty much exploded roughly ten years ago, and there are some quite obvious bands that popularised entire subgenres.

Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper (2000)
Ensiferum - s/t (2001)
Moonsorrow - Voimasta ja kunniasta (2001)
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - A Virgin and a Whore (2001)
Nightwish - Century Child (2002)

Of course there are some other albums with a major impact that haven't been mentioned yet, such as...

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait (2001)
Devin Townsend - Terria (2001)
Agalloch - The Mantle (2002)
ISIS - Oceanic (2002)

There are a lot of solid albums from 2000 to this day in 2003, but the only that immediately stand out as modern classics are the Reverend Bizarre debut and the Fanisk debut. Blood's Dysangelium is almost 10 years old too....others like Antaeus, Darkspace, etc. are borderline classics.

Slugathor - Unleashing the Slugathron
Funebrarum - Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods
Decapitated - Winds of Creation
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard

The creativity in Finnish melodic metal pretty much exploded roughly ten years ago, and there are some quite obvious bands that popularised entire subgenres.

Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper (2000)
Ensiferum - s/t (2001)
Moonsorrow - Voimasta ja kunniasta (2001)
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - A Virgin and a Whore (2001)
Nightwish - Century Child (2002)

I'll second those!

There are a lot of solid albums from 2000 to this day in 2003, but the only that immediately stand out as modern classics are the Reverend Bizarre debut and the Fanisk debut. Blood's Dysangelium is almost 10 years old too....others like Antaeus, Darkspace, etc. are borderline classics.

CYFAWS is a classic. Darkspace I may not be as good as II or III, but damn that's hard to make a comparison.

Will agree with Dopethrone, The Mantle, Dead as Dreams, Blackwater Park and add two from 2004, I'm a year off so sue me =P

Enslaved - Isa (Aside from Havenless a far superior album to Lights) Not quite 10 years.
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora