Modern Metal Classics

Thralldom

Winter of My Bliss
Apr 5, 2011
Hell
www.last.fm
I don't mean modern styles of metal. I mean modern albums that have a classic style and a high level of quality.

Beherit's Engram falls into this category.

I like heavy metal, doom metal, thrash metal, black metal and death metal.

No gay music.

Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels is the other obvious one besides Engram. Then there's things like...

Hour of 13 - Hour of 13
Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites
Hail - Inheritance Of Evilness
Inquisition - any
Faustcoven - The Halo of Burning Wings
Katharsis - Fourth Reich
Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Slugathor - Circle of Death
Deathhammer - Phantom Knights
Grave Miasma - Exalted Emanation

...off the top of my head, those are pretty old school

I'm sorry to double post, but I'm especially interested in finding some of this amazing doom metal that has supposedly come out lately.

I need to know who you are first before I trust you with my insightful recommendations.

You can PM me if there's something you need to know, dude. Your scrobbler thingy has good bands on it so I'll gladly answer a few questions to get some help.

As I mentioned in the albums kicking your ass thread, Arkham Witch and The Lamp of Thoth.

Also there is
40 Watt Sun:

Argus:

Briton Rites:

Revelation (though you should know them already, and they are an older band but their current style is fantastic and their release Revelation is the best doom album of the 21st century so far):

Last edited by a moderator:
I previewed those and they all sound very promising. I'll be checking them out more soon and making some purchases if I like the songs that I heard.

Trad doom awesomeness:

Reverend Bizarre
Hour of 13
Lord Vicar
Procession
Thunderstorm - Witchunter Tales
Forsaken - After the Fall
The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror

These are albums that should continue to intrigue and surprise for decades to come.

Warning - Watching From a Distance
Graveland - Fire Chariot of Destruction
Isis - Oceanic
Isis - Panopticon
Negura Bunget - Om
Pagan Altar - The Lords of Hypocrisy
Pagan Altar - Mythical & Magical

Lateralus14 said:
First of all, Hour of 13 is neither black or death metal. Secondly, way to list Engram as an example and then be a dick about me posting black/death.

Oops. You posted one thing that wasn't black/death metal. I wasn't complaining about what you posted, just asking for a wider variety of things as my own first post was unfortunately rather vague. However, I don't like you based on what I've read from you so far, so you can proceed to consider me a dick if you please.

I'm sorry to double post, but I'm especially interested in finding some of this amazing doom metal that has supposedly come out lately.

I'm not as up-to-speed as others around these parts, but these are a few of the more recent doom acts that I know and enjoy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFY9epenAk&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx_67nL07gc&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
A few favorites from the past ten years that haven't been mentioned yet.

Ogre-Plague of the Planet (Excellent 70s hard rock influenced doom, favorite doom album in the past 10 years)
Adramelch-Broken History (power/prog metal from the band that gave us the legendary Irae Melanox in the 80s)
The Lord Weird Slough Feg-Traveler (power/heavy, pretty well known but I haven't seen them in this thread yet)
Manilla Road-Spiral Castle (the name says enough)
Iron Sword-Overlords of Chaos (epic heavy metal, The Shark also does some guest vocal stuff on a couple songs)

All are heterosexual and if you don't enjoy them then you are gay.