Monuments Of Your Country

Achernar said:
Yeah. Nenia is indeed lighter stuff. I even find it cheerful in a way. Nice to see someone liking this kind of stuff in here. Cheers. ;)
Yeah, these bands are definitly excellent..
Cheers man, Le`Chaim (as us hebrews say - "{a toast} to life"!)

I don´t want to talk exactly about monuments. I don´t really think there´s any that would make traveling to Argentina worth the effort. But I think it´s a really beautiful country to travel to (though I would stay out of Buenos Aires). You´ll see:

Glaciar Perito Moreno:

perito_moreno_glacier_patagonia.jpg

perito-moreno-glacier-break-2008.jpg

It´s in the Patagonia (south), near the border with Chile. It breaks from time to time, and when it does, it´s an amazing spectacle.

Salinas

Nord. It´s a desert, made by sand.
medium_100_2025.jpg

jujuy-salinas02.jpg

Cerro de los siete colores - Hill of the Seven Colors

That´s in Purmamarca, also the nord. There used to be the Incas. It has seven different minerals, which provide the different colors. I can´t really translate all of them...

Cerro_de_los_siete_colores.jpg

Iguazu Falls
Nordeast, it´s right in the border with Paraguay and Brazil. In fact, they are divided into three (for fear of their strength?) and each of the parts belong to a country.

cataratas-del-iguazu.jpg

Cerro Uritorco:
It´s in the center of Argentina, in the province of Cordoba. It is said that there were many UFO sightings and that it´s an energetic centre. Or even, that there are parallel dimensions. Many people believe that and it attracts a lot of tourism. I believe that there is something special about it, but most of the rumors are because of the tourism. I climbed it twice (one of them at 00:00) and it´s amazing.

297265_KPBJFFJIMOTWRYE.jpg

Come on, people. I know you can take a few minutes and tell us about your countries. This way, we´ll know more about the world and that will bring us more together...

My town is Århus. I don't live there right now, but it's still MY place. Where I live right now, is just some small army garrison town, not worth a mention.

At the 'river' in the city centre, where people go for a drink in the summer time
aarhus.jpg

The main church, 100 metres from the picture above
Aarhus_Domkirke_download3.jpg

"The Old Town", a museum town. These old buildings have been dismantled in various places around the country and reassembled here. In the summer time it's complete with people 'living and working' there.
Den_gamle_by_2.jpg

wow- thanks to Wally for reviving old topics and the beautiful pictures. Also many thanks to Miltbrand. Would love to visit both places.
My town is Utrecht, which is the 4th largest city of Holland. Origins go back about 2000 years, when the Romans built castellum Traiectum on the borders of the Rijn river.
It is a very pretty town, with a center with canals, old bridges and buildings dating from just about every period since the middle ages.

The best known landmark is the Dom Tower (Domtoren in Dutch), which you can see from miles, as it is 112,32 meters high. I would recommend every tourist coming to Holland to spend a couple of days here and see the real Netherlands. It is more beautiful and less filthy, overpriced and touristic than Amsterdam, but it has the same charm and character.

recherche.utrecht.jpg

Utrecht.jpg
HollandUtrechtOudergracht28.jpg

Kloosterhof-utrecht.JPG

There are many museums, monuments etc which you can visit and every year there is the Summer Darkness festival with metal/electro underground music, that takes places in the center of town and various clubs and churches around the center. People walk around in the most amazing costumes in the decor of the historic center.
http://www.summerdarkness.nl/festival/

summer_darkness_digiflyer.jpg

bdm-20070811-232.jpg

I have been to both Utrecht and Aarhus. Nice memories :) Utrecht is my favourite Dutch city. I am not too fond of Amsterdam, a bit too hedonistic for my liking. I don't get why all tourists go there for days when a short drive away there are much nicer canals, old buildings and without the drugs and brothels. Speaking of that, my native city Ghent has a lot in common with Utrecht: medieval buildings and many waterside walks. Here are some pictures of my native city (I will post links to those pictures that are a bit too big for the average forum layout):

The Gravensteen, medieval castle in the center of the city:
http://members.multimania.nl/guiver/hpbimg/Gent gravensteen.jpg

City center sight with the typical rivers and medieval housing:
gent.jpg

The famous "Three Towers", three very old buildings whose tower dominates the Ghent skyline:
gent.gif

The Graslei, probably the most famous of all streets by the water:
Graslei-Gent.jpg

The Korenmarkt, market square in the very center of town:
GentKorenmarkt.jpg

The Begijnhof of Ghent, used to be a sort of religious compound in the medieval times, is now a regularly populated area where the original housing and streets are maintained in original format however:
begijnhof_gent.jpg

Some more of Belgium:

The most beautiful place in the country (IMO): the market square of Brussels with its medieval houses:
1045128-The_centre_of_Brussel_the_Grote_Markt-Brussels.jpg

1401_06_78---Flower-Market--Grand-Place-Grote-Markt--Brussels--Belgium_web.jpg

Slightly embarrassing though is that our most famous statue is a tiny guy who pees... :err: The statue is very small and his "member" is even smaller...
manneken-pis-brussels.jpg

A bit more pleasant to look at: the Atomium, built in Brussels for the World Expo in, if I remember well, 1958. The nine balls represent the 9 provinces Belgium had at that time (meanwhile we have 10 provinces in the country):
1364200-Atomium-Brussels.jpg

Durbuy, according to the tourist office the smallest city in the world (not sure if this is correct, but it's for sure one of the most idyllic places in the mountanous Ardennes area in the south of Belgium):
durbuy-001.jpg

While a native of Belgium, since 1.5 years I am living in Spain, although some locals would insist to say I live in Catalonia :) Here are some photos:

The most famous of all streets in Barcelona: the Ramblas, connecting the Placa Catalunya to the port and waterfront:
ramblas.jpg

Many houses in the ancient part of Barcelona are developped by famous architect Gaudi:
pedrera1.jpg

barcelona_gaudi_architektur.jpg

The famous still unfinished Sagrada Familia church. If you stand in front of it and look at the details, it's amazing how long you can stare and still see some new details and decorations. It's an amazing place.
sagrada-familia.jpg

The Camp Nou, home of Catalonia's sporting pride, FC Barcelona:
Camp%20Nou%20-%20Barcelona.jpg

The famous Parc Guell which also contains Gaudi architecture and an amazing panorama over the city:
parqueguell.jpg

desde-el-parque-guell.jpg

No Spain without beaches of course! This is the idyllic coastal town of Sitges:
sitges.jpg

A bigger photo of Sitges: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XjX3giEYN...AAABo/3al3zrMydYs/s1600/sitges_wsmg_0790_.jpg

Sitges5_jpg.jpg

Muy guapa! :D
PLAYA%20SITGES.jpg

sitges-playa.jpg

I'm from Budapest (Hungary). We have many historical sights.. here's the castle completed in 1265:
budapest-2.jpg

the Parliament building:
Budapest-Parliament-590x394.jpg

and a Turkish bath (thanks to their 150 year "visit")
Turkish%20Baths%20heritage%20in%20Budapest%20Hungary.png

Hi:

I will show you my province through a special route which is typical here. It's the castle route. Valladolid (the place I live) it is part of the old Reign of Castile, which is the pillar of Spain (in a medieval sense).

All of these buildings are inside my province, which has only 197,91 squared-kilometres. The actual region of the Reign of Castile contains 5 provinces more that contain many more buildings like these.

Encinas de Esgueva's Fortress (Encinas de Esgueva).

VA-CAS-015-1340001.jpg

Fuensaldaña's Castle (Fuensaldaña).

FUENSALDANIA.jpg

Iscar's Castle (Iscar).

castillo_iscar_gr.jpg

La Mota Castle (Medina del Campo).

One of the most important castles of Valladolid. It was the residence of the well-known Spanish princess Juana I of Castile (Juana la Loca/Juana the Mad) and daughter of the Catholic Kings, and later it was used as special prison for important people (imprisoned as part of the politics game).

Mota.jpg

castillo-de-la-mota.jpg

Montealegre's Castle (Montealegre).

Montealegre_002.jpg

Peñafiel's Castle (Peñafiel).

The most important castle in Valladolid. It is called "Castile's Ship" because of its ship-like shape if you look at it with perspective. It is said that it was Don Juan Manuel prince (Alfonso X The Wiseman's nephew), also a poet, that willing to live next to the sea (Castile is in the inside of Spain and does not have any shore) ordered to build a ship-like castle.

The stone that forms it seems to get darkened when it is about to rain. It is said that it is because of the special material it was used to build it.

Currently it is the Wine Museum, this region it is the most important (along with La Rioja) wine-region of Spain: Ribera del Duero (trademark).

castillo_penafiel_museo_provincial_vinoG.jpg

castillo-pe%C3%B1afiel.jpg

Portillo's Castle (Portillo).

dsc07560sj.jpg

Simancas' Castle (Simancas).

It looks like it has not any defensive abilities, it is more like a residence, but it is the most beautiful castle in Valladolid. In the xvi century Felipe II made it the General Archives of the Reign (a place to store official documents), and it is the use it has been given up to day.

Simancas%20Castle,%20Castilla%20y%20Leon,%20Spain-671684.jpeg

CastilloDeSimancas.jpg

Tiedra's Castle (Tiedra).

castillo-de-tiedra_14887.jpg

Torrelo's Castle (Torrelo).

668925570_d36189518c.jpg

Trigueros del Valle's Castle (Trigueros del Valle).

6272670.jpg

Urueña's Castle and City Walls (Urueña).

The most important part of this small village it is the City Walls. From the top of them you can see a landscape of the typical Castile wheat and abrley fields. It is said that is "the sea of castile", because of the shape of the region: plain and still, like a see in calm.

3422027.jpg

murallasuruena_peq1.jpg

Villafuerte de Esgueva's Castle (Villafuerte de Esgueva).

3619930274_ab4d4eea8a.jpg

While a native of Belgium, since 1.5 years I am living in Spain, although some locals would insist to say I live in Catalonia :)

Obviously there are people that doesnt stand with the reality there: they are part of Spain and they have never been a state itself (only as the County of Barcelona, maybe?) but always a part of the Crown of Aragon and Catalonia, and later as part of the Crown of Castile and Aragon.

But it is sad that politics use those people to achieve their goals, and all in all, it is a political issue that it is part of every nation...

... though Belgium it is not the best example of what I am saying, of course...

corp

Yeah, tell me about it. In 1 week we will officially have broken the world record of longest government formation... Unless some miracle happens and Belgium gets a government within the next week. Chances of that happening are smaller than chances of a UFO landing in your back yard. It makes me feel quite ashamed of being Belgian when seeing all the political hassle, especially when knowing those far right parties are the ones to blame...

Here in Spain I'm a member of a political party. It is a Catalan one, but I don't interfere in the independence debate, I see that as an issue to be left to those who were born and grown up here. That said, I'm not really pro-separation. I lived in 6 EU countries now and really, Spain's healthcare system and social security are good. If Catalonia would separate from Spain, there'd be insecurity if this would remain as such. And what about international recognision? I can see other countries with separatist regions not recognising the Catalan independence, and before you realise you end up in a situation like Northern Cyprus which is economically isolated because of its lack of diplomatic ties with other countries. So I'm not exactly pro-independence for Catalonia, I'll leave the issue though to those born and grown up here.

Nathalie, I would love to visit Cordoba too. It was the center of the area where jews, muslims and christians used to live side by side. Consequently, the city offers some of the most ancient churches, mosques, synagogues in the country and one of the most diverse cityscapes in Spain :) I hope to visit the city soon. Pity it's so far from Barcelona, it's the whole other side of the country so a train drive down there would take like over half a day...

Nathalie, I would love to visit Cordoba too. It was the center of the area where jews, muslims and christians used to live side by side. Consequently, the city offers some of the most ancient churches, mosques, synagogues in the country and one of the most diverse cityscapes in Spain :) I hope to visit the city soon. Pity it's so far from Barcelona, it's the whole other side of the country so a train drive down there would take like over half a day...

You should travel to Toledo, it is another multicultural place, and it is quite close to Madrid. I personally love Toledo, it is one of my fav cities of Spain.

http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/14063/toledo-the-multicultural-capital-of-ancient-spain

To the politics issue: What's the party? CIU? ERC? I (personally) wouldnt be part of a political party if I do not support its main theme.

lozano

All of you people living in beautiful places!!!

Old_Library%2C_Manchester%2C_NH.jpg

The old Manchester NH library, 1908 from a postcard. I live in Manchester now, but I'm from California...

800px-Bixby_pano1.jpg

One of my favorite places in my country, the California Pacific Coast Highway.
399px-030803a_redwoodfog.jpg

The Pacific Northwest Redwood forest... thousands of years old and trees can grow over 100m tall!