Moontower resemblence

Naglfar said:
They're not similar at all, Moontower is death metal / prog rock and Elegy is folk / acid rock / metal. :) The sound... well, I just don't find them similar in anyway, and I've heard those two albums quite a few times in my short lifetime.

And I'm sure everyone's heard it, it was probably one of the 5 best albums that came out in all of the 1990s (and I think a lot of people feel that Amorphis hasn't been able to equal that effort).
actually I think Tales of a Thousand Lakes is Amorphis at their best, but this is starting to get a bit offtopic...

cenzu said:
actually I think Tales of a Thousand Lakes is Amorphis at their best, but this is starting to get a bit offtopic...

They're different. Elegy is sort of a concept album in its own right, which is why I think it was so brilliant. Tales is still great, but I wouldn't say it's a really complete production like Elegy is, since there are two or three songs that aren't very memorable in Tales, while the song distinction in Elegy is very formidable.

Neither sound like Moontower. I think what our friend here is probably referring to is the mix of death metal and melody, in which case I would say yes, those two albums do stand out for the incredible combination of melodic sound and death metal. I'd say they do have that similarity.

Naglfar said:
They're not similar at all, Moontower is death metal / prog rock and Elegy is folk / acid rock / metal. :) The sound... well, I just don't find them similar in anyway, and I've heard those two albums quite a few times in my short lifetime.

And I'm sure everyone's heard it, it was probably one of the 5 best albums that came out in all of the 1990s (and I think a lot of people feel that Amorphis hasn't been able to equal that effort).
Exactly! Elegy is nothing like Moontower, even albums like Karelian Ithsmus and Tales From The Thousand Lakes, which are much more death metal than Elegy, are nothing like Moontower.

And I think Amorphis are a great band, I wasn't surprised with the direction they went, you could see it coming a mile away!

As for Ghost Reveries, I think it has a much bigger prog element to it than previous Opeth albums, though I am a new fan of theirs. The added keyboards to this album also point in the Moontower direction. Now, I didn't say the albums are identical, I simply said no album has ever reminded me of Moontower until Ghost Reveries came out. There's a big difference there.

king crimson definitely loves those mellotrons...anekdoten and paatos, prog rock bands from sweden also use them excessively. great instrument, the string setting is the best.

The first few times I heard Moontower, I knew it kind of reminded me of something else. Eventually, it hit me: Elegy. Somebody else already said it, but there must be similarities there if others are noticing this as well. Surely not all the tracks on Moontower remind me of Elegy, but certainly "Add Reality" could have easily come off of Elegy. This is my favorite song off of Moontower too.

After listening to it in its entirety last night, I could hear a definite Rush influence on some of the tracks, one which was definitely explicit to say the least. But who cares, what a great fuckin' album.

God, this album is godly. I can't praise this album enough. I will make sure everyone I know -- who enjoys music -- gets the chance to hear this mastepiece. I will cherish this album till my dying day....