More clean vocals!

It only works when you start your debut with clean vocals.
When you've had harsh vocals for a while and then add clean, it sounds stupid. Example: Norther
Skyfire, nor any melodeath band should not add clean vocals.

Ren said:
It only works when you start your debut with clean vocals.
When you've had harsh vocals for a while and then add clean, it sounds stupid. Example: Norther
Skyfire, nor any melodeath band should not add clean vocals.

Eh I dono. It worked well for Soilwork (at least for two albums...), Disarmonia Mundi, Eternal Tears of Sorrow (contrary to popular opinion), and In Flames.....haha just kidding on that last one. don't kill me

Ok, sorry to jump out like that. I didn't mean it is impossible. Yes, I have heard bands that do add clean vocals later and still sound good but usually it just sounds forced and I don't really like that too much, ya know what I mean?

That's because it usually probably is forced in attempt to sell more records. If it was something Skyfire was gonna do naturally, I'm sure it would come out fine. But that would defeat the purpose of the thread. It should be "More clean vocals if you want to!"

Ren said:
Ok, sorry to jump out like that. I didn't mean it is impossible. Yes, I have heard bands that do add clean vocals later and still sound good but usually it just sounds forced and I don't really like that too much, ya know what I mean?

yeah definitely. I can name like 10 off of the top of my head which kinda fucked up their sound bad with clean vocals. and yeah most of it is forced anyway. Sometimes it can really work well though, as long as the singer actually has a voice. I think this argument is kind of pointless since none of us have actually heard Henrik sing :loco:

In general I greatly prefer clean vocals. Henke is great at harsh vocals but I don't think that many who use them are. It's just that a below average screamer is still passable whereas a below average singer is not.

There are other exceptions of course. The ones that immediately come to mind are John Tardy and Darren Travis (the latter was better when he was younger).