More impulse experiments...

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hi guys...

I did a small clip using splat88's impulses with PodXT.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=346433

Keep in mind that this is an extremely rough mix, no effects or proccessing on the drums or the bass, levels need adjustment etc. I used some EQ and freefilter on the guitars and L3 Ultramaximazer in the final mix.

In this particular clip i had the "dead heart..." guitar tone in mind and i think i'm close. What do you think?

Thanks.

Sorry i forgot to mention these stuff... so, i used ms-diamondplate amp from podxt straight to my sound card. There are 4 guitar takes 2 panned 100% left and right and 2 80% left and right. I used "57B C +1__02.wav" from splat88's impulses in pristine space. I did some offhand EQing that i don't remember now but either way the basic EQing was done with freefilter using a guitar sample from nevermore's "DHIADW".

That's a very cool guitar sound for POD dude. The impulse seems to eliminate some of that thin, plastic quality they have. It doesn't sound much like DHIADW tone to me, but it's good in its own right.

Moonlapse said:
It doesn't sound much like DHIADW tone to me, but it's good in its own right.

Well, ok you can't sound much like DHIADW with a pod, and the specific riff i play doesn't help the comparison with nevermore either, but i still think it's the closest i've come to that tone.

Actually I just did a direct A/B and it sounds a lot closer than I thought it was. I think if you scooped it a little more and played up some of that fizz on the high end ever so slightly you'd be pretty damn close.

Moonlapse said:
Actually I just did a direct A/B and it sounds a lot closer than I thought it was. I think if you scooped it a little more and played up some of that fizz on the high end ever so slightly you'd be pretty damn close.

Well that "fizz" you mention is exactly what pod can't deliver. The impulse helps a little in that area though. I'll give it a try anyway, thanks.

This sounds great!! amazingly close to DHIADW for sure!

In fact i like all your stuff Keregioz! great stuff! :headbang:

Sounds great! We need settings for the POD and freefilter! Please please!

I'm glad you like my impulses.

oh yes - i have just converted from the pod cab emulation to impulse cab emulation. I have to admit its quite an exciting area of music tech that can only lead to great things in the future - I'm looking forward to hearing what the focusrite can do.

Anyway I've been looking and looking and are there any mesa cab patches out there as I fucking loathe that 1k sound of a marshall - all teeth and no balls - i love my mesa cab sound from being in a group with two triple rectumfryers - or has anybody had any luck with an engl cab - as they have a neat bottom end on them for us dirty low tuners. (Gb-Bb depending on how blue I'm feeling)

Maybe I'm a dumbass but I've done a search through the forums and all I can find are splatts great yet still marshal impulses.

Anyway - for the home recordsit this shit rocks.

moose209 said:
oh yes - i have just converted from the pod cab emulation to impulse cab emulation. I have to admit its quite an exciting area of music tech that can only lead to great things in the future - I'm looking forward to hearing what the focusrite can do.

Anyway I've been looking and looking and are there any mesa cab patches out there as I fucking loathe that 1k sound of a marshall - all teeth and no balls - i love my mesa cab sound from being in a group with two triple rectumfryers - or has anybody had any luck with an engl cab - as they have a neat bottom end on them for us dirty low tuners. (Gb-Bb depending on how blue I'm feeling)

Maybe I'm a dumbass but I've done a search through the forums and all I can find are splatts great yet still marshal impulses.

Anyway - for the home recordsit this shit rocks.

I can't find any other impulses myself. I'm trying to find impulses of some Mesa cabs as well as they probably handle the lower stuff better but I can't find anyone willing to make them.

Perhaps if we beg hard enough, someone will be kind enough to produce some. I'm actually suprised that no company has made some 'professional' impulses of guitar cabinets yet, or maybe thay have and I just don't know about it.

I cant promise anything - especially as I dont know how to do the impulses yet - but in the middle of august I will be doing a session in a studio with not only my bands mesa cab - but also a few other more boutique cabs - if it all still goes ahead as it is the owner giving me the session for free as a favour, and i have to work it all out - I will try and get a mesa 4 x 12 traditional - with no hot plate - will be kranking that fucker up!

no promises though and i aint looking forward to waiting a month to get this to work.

what influences the impulses?

preamp?

mic?

I'll look on noisevault but i am not as patient as I once was.

perhaps andy has a krank impulse or would like to do one?

moose209 said:
I cant promise anything - especially as I dont know how to do the impulses yet - but in the middle of august I will be doing a session in a studio with not only my bands mesa cab - but also a few other more boutique cabs - if it all still goes ahead as it is the owner giving me the session for free as a favour, and i have to work it all out - I will try and get a mesa 4 x 12 traditional - with no hot plate - will be kranking that fucker up!

no promises though and i aint looking forward to waiting a month to get this to work.

what influences the impulses?

preamp?

mic?

I'll look on noisevault but i am not as patient as I once was.

Everything in the signal will influence the impulse. You'll be doing an impulse of the poweramp, speaker, microphone, mic placement, recording preamp, etc.

You won't be able to crank up the volume very loud like how you said you'll be doing. When you run your sine wave through your cab, you'll find that it will have a huge amplitude spike at around 120Hz or so and that if you have your cab turned up too loud, it will 'fart' out, ruining the frequency response of the captured impulse. Keep it clean. Actually, an attenuator like the hotplate would be great to bet more powertube tone from the impulse. It WILL make it sound a lot different.

I'm looking forward to you making some impulses if you get around to it!

moose209 said:

Oh man, that would be great, but I don't have the sack to ask him directly!

Perhaps if enough of us bitch about it he will!!!!!!!!

cool thanks for the advice - i'll try and convince my mate to do it regardless as it would be a cool trick to have up his sleeve as a engineer /producer - as opposed to re-amping although he has a stiletto, triple, and a multitude of 'brown' sound amps and cabs lying around plus a neve desk an an original 1176 - show off! so he may just say whats the point. i'll shall see - i can't and wont promise but it would make my life a lot happier and a few others too by the sound of it. I can use deconvolver yes?

moose209 said:
cool thanks for the advice - i'll try and convince my mate to do it regardless as it would be a cool trick to have up his sleeve as a engineer /producer - as opposed to re-amping although he has a stiletto, triple, and a multitude of 'brown' sound amps and cabs lying around plus a neve desk an an original 1176 - show off! so he may just say whats the point. i'll shall see - i can't and wont promise but it would make my life a lot happier and a few others too by the sound of it. I can use deconvolver yes?

Yep, use deconvolver. Generate a 12 second sine wave at 24bits, 96,000K and make sure the 'MP Transform' button is checked in once you deconvolve. Oh, yeah, make sure you record it a 96000k too, since you will be using a 96000k sine wave.

Splat88 said:
Sounds great! We need settings for the POD and freefilter! Please please!

I'm glad you like my impulses.

Like i said the amp i used is the diamond plate with the drive all the way up, i have the bass all the way down because there are alot of low frequencies coming from the impulse, mids at 11 o'clock , treble and presense about 2 o'clock. I did some additional EQing in nuendo but as i already said these settings don't matter that much since i use freefilter aftewards.
I also used tubescreamer in pod: drive 18%, gain 50%, tone 50%.

For freefilter there are not any settings i just captured the EQ curve from the guitars in "Dead heart..." and applied them in my guitar recording. The guitar sample i used to "capture" the EQ curve is taken from engines of hate, somewhere after the solo, Loomis plays a riff and you hear only the guitars on the left speaker.