More questions than Jaime...

sarbah77

Hey you. With the hair.
Mar 7, 2004
Michigan
Okay, sort of.

My husband (jhallum) and I have decided this is a show we want to see... and thus, this is a trip we want to take.

I'm feeling quite overwhelmed. Yes, we have passports, which is the first hurdle... but we've never been out of North America. What are some good sites to look at, to learn more about 1. travel and 2. Copenhagen?

Any advice YOU want to impart on this n00b? How long would YOU stay, if you were going to visit? We'll probably not venture much further than Copenhagen or even Malmo, as we're limited (slightly) by time and (moreso) by money.

It can be a bit overwhelming to be in a foreign country. I have not been to Denmark but have traveled a lot internationally for business. Airports and train stations typically have signage in both the local language and English. Many times, information desks will also have multilingual personnel. I would be careful if taking cabs from the airport. Be sure it is a legitimate taxi. Sometimes unauthorized people will try to offer rides at the exits hoping to make some money but in some cases looking to rob you.

Hotel concierge's can also be very helpful in arranging things to do, how to best get there and places to eat, even can sometimes get tickets to events. Take advantage of that.

Know the local laws and customs and read up on these before traveling. It helps to know a few words in the local language like please, thank you and where's the bathroom just in case.

Get some foreign currency in advance instead of trying to do that at the airport (they charge more there). This is helpful for being able to immediately take a cab, bus or train without having to do that first. Depending on where you're coming in from, you'll just want to get your bags and get to the hotel.

Don't travel with any prescription medicine outside of it's labeled container. If your bags are searched, you don't want to have to explain what the pills are.

Hope this helps a bit.

Paul

By the way, my wife and I are planning to be there and we should see how many are coming from the US for this. Might be good to make contact when there and at the show.

Paul

Thanks for your advice! We should definitely find a way to keep in touch or get in touch!

Depending what fares are offered, it looks like we'll probably end up connecting through Amsterdam or Frankfurt. Last winter, when I bought tickets for my faculty to make this trip, they were able to connect through either Philadelphia or DC, without an international layover which would be easier on me on the way out! (It's funny; I've got plenty of experience BUYING international airfare, but haven't ever made thr trip - but then, I used to work in a Germanic Languages & Literatures department and a Slavic one soooo)

Anyway! Any thing more? Already had someone else freak out on me and remind me that I CANNOT TAKE MY KNITTING WITH ME SHE KNOWS THINGS. ;)

We're traveling from the San Francisco Bay Area so are looking at connecting through Germany in order to spend a few days there prior to arrival in Copenhagen. There may be other places to connect but I haven't done all the flight research yet. We plan to get to Denmark a few days before the show so we can see it as well. Will be cold but still want to see some of the city before the show.

Ha, well, we live in Michigan and we're going to Alaska in just about a month. The temps in Alaska in June are about the same as Copenhagen and Ann Arbor in November. :) But that also means we generally fly Northwest Airlines which codeshares with KLM; we'd be connecting in Amsterdam. Since Alaska is our big trip this year, we don't have the time to make it longer and visit more places. In a lot of ways, this will be dipping our toe into the European travel water.

Now we just need to figure out where to stay - where people we know are staying - and figure out how to make those reservations!

If you let me know in which price range you are thinking about when it comes to hotels, then I will more than happy to give you are some good links to hotels close to the venue and the center of Copenhagen. :)

Well, this is kind of a stupid reply, so forgive me: what's a typical price range? We're not looking for a top of the line hotel, but one that's clean and safe. There are a few hotels listed on the PPScand website, as well, and the prices generally look reasonable...!

Sorry to be vague :)

:)Copenhagen is a cool city,Ali and myself went to PPSCAN1 last year and will be there again for PPSCAN11.Everyone seems to speak perfect English and all of the signs are in Danish and English so there is no trouble getting around.The public transport is excellent ant the city has some beautiful buildings , we would reccomend the "Rundetarn" in the centre of Copnhagen as a must see place. The Rock was much smaller than we expected but is a great rock venue:headbang::headbang: and would suggest you try the Christmas Beer:kickass::kickass:.Eating out can be quite cheap if you look around and everywhere is very clean and tidy.If you get to Copenhagen before the PPSCAN11 then the Polish band VADER are playing The Rock on the night before, should be good:headbang::headbang:Hope this of some help to you guys, and maybe we will see you in Denmark in the fall.
Best wishes
Chris and Ali

....sorry to disappoint you, but the Xmas brew won't be released untill November 7th this year. I'ts always the first Friday in November, so no strong brew this year......SORRY!!!

Seeya in October.

Lars

you know what? I actually have 2 of the 2007 Xmas brew standing here in my home!!! I don't drink strong brew myself, so I can save them for you if you are interested?

Yeah, I know they say that beer has a limit, but if I stow them away in a cool and dark place, they should be good to drink. Whatta you say? Is that service or what?:saint:

Lars

:kickass::kickass:Yay Claus, I was wondering if you could get TUBORG onboard as a sponsor and maybe get a couple of barrels for PPSCAN11??:kickass::kickass:Or if not then PPSCAN111 should be in November 2009:headbang::headbang:with MERCENARY headlining one night:headbang::headbang:Gotta love this band:headbang::headbang:

By the way, my wife and I are planning to be there and we should see how many are coming from the US for this. Might be good to make contact when there and at the show.

Paul

There were about a dozen people from the US there last year. Mostly people you will recognize from all the years @ Atlanta shows (if you attend, of course).