Morngingrise or Ghost Reveries

Morngingrise or Ghost Reveries

• Morningrise

Votes: 75 52.1%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 69 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^ Yeah I completely agree (Still like BRI though disjointed or not). You just forgot one major thing the production sucks so badly it´s not even funny.

Shadows Skulk said:
yeah except nectar is unmemorable, BRI is disjointed, and TBYF is overrated

I disagree, Nectar is fucking amazing. I never skip that track. BRI is disjointed, but who gives a shit? it's still an awesome fucking song. As for TBYF being overrated.... no.

I truly pity anyone who a) lets such a small thing as bad production get in the way of enjoying the music behind it, and b) has such limited imagination that he/she is incapable of putting a story to the songs on Morningrise. And I don't mean pity in a flaming, "you're shit at life" way, I mean it in a "it's a real shame that you can't get the most awesome experience ever* out of this" way.

Mumblefood said:
Looks like somebody doesn't know anything nor care about a little thing called atmosphere.
highfive6rn.gif

*Slight exaggeration, but only slight.

Like I said, it wasn't intended to be condescending. I really do think it's a shame that a listener of Morningrise doesn't hear the music and connect it with some kind of series of events in his/her head. Throw out the lyrics, since Mikael said somewhere or other that they were written in the car on the way to the studio, or some such thing, and don't really mean anything for the most part. If the music and the atmosphere don't scream a tale at you (and I don't mean you you, it's a general you), and all the twists and turns, all the highs and lows, if that doesn't give you any tale at all, then... well, I honestly think you're missing out. Mumblefood made a thread a while ago about the atmosphere of Morningrise and being in the indescribable "zone" when listening to it (here), and that's what I'm trying to allude to here, that the music takes the listener away into his own little world. It happens so rarely that there's a whole album that can consistently take me away completely like that - I think it's only happened with two other albums - that I wish everyone else could experience the same thing and the whole world could indulge in a Morningrise orgy. Condescension is not a part of that, and I'm not saying that I'm better than everyone else who doesn't have that feeling.

Moonlapse said:
GR is the most structured album they've put out to date. Its sense of pacing, combined with the thoughtful arrangement of individual parts makes it the most cohesive and mature record they've done so far.

I have to disagree with you there. I think "My Arms Your Hearse" was the most structured album to date. The transitions between songs are seamless and just by looking at the lyrics it appears that the entire album was written at once, then broken down into tracks.

While I DO like GR, the arrangments at times feel out of place. (For instance, going from Hours of Wealth into The Grand Conjuration)

Rusty said:
I truly pity anyone who a) lets such a small thing as bad production get in the way of enjoying the music behind it...

I should automatically state before any music discussion that there is individual taste in music. Anyways, personally I disagree with this statement. In the case of Opeth, the reason many people feel that Blackwater Park (my #1 favorite album) was the beginning of Opeth's slight downfall is the reason that I feel it catapulted them into another dimension. The albums preceeding BWP don't hold a candle to the production on BWP. The rawness (or whatever you want to call it) on Opeth's older works, to my ears, was missing something that BWP brought out in their music.

I want good production out of an album. I can see a band live and feel another side to a bands music (although Opeth sounds so much like their albums when playing live), but good production makes listening a more relaxing experience to me. When there is good production, there are no flaws to take away the feeling from a particular note. And I don't think good production takes away from the mood - I feel it adds to it.

Jchappie, what about the Credence/Karma shift? I don't see why it seems better to you than HoW/TGC because it's nearly the same thing (although I personally like both these shifts - it's like being woken from a pleasent dream by a thunder!).

As for production on Morningrise - it really is shitty I'm afraid (Mike seems to be of the same opinion) but it is true that this album had a unique atmosphere and frankly it's not the production that makes me believe GR is better (although GR's production i almost godlike!) - it's the fact Morningrise was only the foreplay to what Opeth started by MAYH, nothing more nothing less... It's a very good album nonetheless