Ghost Reveries production

COnsiderateApathy said:
Great. No wonder "Nightmares Made Flesh" sounded like shit compared to the previous two Bloodbath albums. My point has been made.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the 8th wonder of the world!! Mr. DIPSHIT!

i always thought still life sounded bad with too much bass on or depending of the speakers. But i like the sound anyway.

i wonder how the acoustics parts are gonna sound on the next album.

I like the production in nightmares made flesh but i'm looking foward to see how it will sound in opeth.

the_drip said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the 8th wonder of the world!! Mr. DIPSHIT!

For real...The production on ritual was intentional to capture a more old school Entombed sound...if they wanted to pull away from that, more power to them. I thought the production on Nightmares was very crisp, if you hate that production, you must hate the production on at least 80% of metal albums of the past 10 years.

The Still Life production was adequate. Considering how many layers of guitar there are all in all, they pulled off the clarity amazingly well. There was also no drum triggering of any kind. Deliverance had a 100% sampled kick and 50% blended-sample snare. Alot of the clarity of it was due to Andy Sneap's mixing, which whilst I appreciate, doesn't exactly bring out the most lively sound. It's all very clinical and sterile - not two words I like to associate with Opeth.

I also get the feeling that during the production of Still Life, they were using (A)DAT as their medium as opposed to DAWs, since the channel cut-outs on The Moor were due to a DAT error (in Mike's words). If that's the case, I'd say what they did on that album is phenomenal.

Jens, going by Nightmares made flesh, seems to be a very good producer. The production on Nightmares Made Flesh is fucking brilliant - no two ways about it. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the kick on that album is even triggered. Considering how many extremely fast double-bass parts are, it's amazingly he pulled a consistent low end and a bass drum sound that breaks through the mix. The guitars are amazingly well mixed, sounding very full and rounded without muddying up the mix itself.

So, I'm sort of anticipating what sort of sound they'll manage to pull for Ghost Reveries.

I have no problem with Still Life's production as it was pretty clear and well balanced. I guess it could have sounded a little heavier if they tapped the distortion up a tiny bit.

having said that I find BP to be the best sounding album overall... excellent production on that one.. the sound crushes and is still clear as a bell.

Deliverance has a good sound, drums are excellent (probably due to triggers and sound sampling) but it still rox. Deliverance's problems for me are more on the content side.. also i found the clean vocals to be a bit on the plain side where in the previous albums they used more reverb..

i'm not a big fan of latest bloodbath's sound though.. it seems a little narrow.. I'd definitely place things more widely.. more panning between guitars etc..

we will see.. but just like someone here said.. great content make the album great.. why the hell am I enchanted with morngrise and mayh so much ;)

also get the feeling that during the production of Still Life, they were using (A)DAT as their medium as opposed to DAWs, since the channel cut-outs on The Moor were due to a DAT error (in Mike's words). If that's the case, I'd say what they did on that album is phenomenal.

there are many more cutouts on that album.

So their DAT tapes died in the ass, big deal, the guys couldn't do anything about it. Now it's all moved onto Hard Disk so I don't think we'll be seeing any more of it.

Agreed, its not that huge of a deal but its the only fault i can find in an otherwise (imo) perfect album. Thus i bitch ;)

Was pitch correction software used on Deliverance/Damnation? In the Lamentations doco SW talks to Mike about fixing some off notes or something.
Personally I hope they don't go down that road.

The Dude, so many people use that in the studio. You'd be shocked, so maybe just pretend no one does, and you never heard that comment from SW.

also: i don't know what is wrong with my ears, but i honestly don't hear that big a production difference between Still Life and BWP. YES, BWP is slightly more crisp, and uses more studio "fun", but i mean.. the guitar sounds are almost the same to my ears, and the vocals.

The Dude said:
Was pitch correction software used on Deliverance/Damnation? In the Lamentations doco SW talks to Mike about fixing some off notes or something.
Personally I hope they don't go down that road.

I think people make to much of a big deal over this, mike can sing live, he can sing on record a pitch shifter wont change that. Its worse when people like that guy from velvet revolver can sing in the studio, but live sound like a horses ass

Actually <crimson> and T3hLep4rAffinity, you're both wrong. It's:

RTC > NMF in terms of sheer old school brutality.
RTC < NMF in terms of production. Plus NMF has Eaten. Need I say more?
Which means, though vastly different, NMF = RTC.

I have yet to hear any argument proving that either one is better, apart from "Mike did vox on RTC. That's why it's better!" And though Mikael does kick serious ass with Bloodbath, Peter was the best choice to follow. The songwriting wasn't effected at all, they just had a bit of an update as far as the sound is concerned. Still brutal as ever though, and both are in a serious tie as my personal favourite album.

That being said, I have no doubt GR will kick everyone's ass with a very clean, full sound.

As technically as you wanna break it down and say that NMF isn't any worse than RTC, what it comes down to me is how much ass the songs kick. And the RTC songs win by a LONG SHOT! They're so much more memorable and awesome, no question about it!