Ghost Reveries production

Khayman666 said:
Care to elaborate.... at all?

saying any 2 albums are the same is kinda..silly.

the guitar tone is COMPLETELY different, different vocalist, different production, different sounding solos. how can you say they equal. unless you were just saying, you enjoy them the same?

Steven Wilson must produce and mix, he is a god behind the board. D&D were brilliantly mixed. Period.

The Dude said:
Was pitch correction software used on Deliverance/Damnation? In the Lamentations doco SW talks to Mike about fixing some off notes or something.
Personally I hope they don't go down that road.

Yeah, alot of studio musicians use autotune. It's just another one of the staplemarks of the industry. It can be done, so why not?

I mean Andy sneap sound replaces all the natural kicks he records, then quantises them so that the double-kick parts never miss a beat. It's just one of the things that contributes to making the recordings of today superior to those of the last century.

yes, but it's these little unpollished moticable and unnoticble mistakes that make a record sound much more organic. Offcoarse, I'm not defending blackmetal style production :Spin:

My main gripes with Still Life's production are the following:

Fuzz on the lead guitar. I only notice this when I'm listening with headphones. The leads sound crisp and clean on my computer and in my car, at least.

Bass drum too loud in the mix sometimes, comes off too punchy.

When the heavy part of Face of Melinda starts, the cymbals sound horrrrible.

Don't get me wrong, I love Still Life and it's probably my favorite album. It just really sucks that these little things keep me from enjoying even more. I'm really hoping the 5.1 mix will be released someday and maybe fix some of these problems too.

Anyway, I'm sure the GR production will be fine. Everything since Still Life has been very well produced (yay for SW!) and I can't imagine the new album taking a step backwards.

weird I never noticed a problem with SL.

You guys are some anal retentive bastards.

That said, I do believe the 14,000 khz signals could've been lowered at about 3:04 into April Ethereal. When I listen to that song at around 220 Decibels that sound wave comes crashing through like a fuckin atom bomb.

the_drip said:
weird I never noticed a problem with SL.

You guys are some anal retentive bastards.

I guess I could always have a fucked up copy of the CD or something, or maybe every single pair of headphones I have are defective on this album and this album only, but there is definitly a lot to be desired with SL's production. I don't know how you can't notice it, really.

The music's too damn good for me to notice flaws in the production. I don't really think about production very much. It's eithe rgood or bad.

Ulver's MAdrigals is bad.....bad on purpose...but still bad all the same.

the_drip said:
The music's too damn good for me to notice flaws in the production. I don't really think about production very much. It's eithe rgood or bad.

Yes, the music is some of the best I've ever heard. The production is distracting, though and I really hate that. How can you not think about the production when it's so obviously messed up in certain places? My ears really can't be that much more sensitive than your's.