Morngingrise or Ghost Reveries

• Morningrise

Votes: 75 52.1%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 69 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ghost Reveries.

By the way, does anyone know a good place for vinyl? Online i mean...

I'm trying to track down Morningrise on vinyl, the picture disks if possible...

I've checked ebay, but could find anything..

GR. MR just don´t have what it takes to be a masterpiece. Whereas Orchid was close to being a masterpiece MR fails completely. Yes my favourite songs of MR, Advent and BRI are great but that´s just not enough to hold the record together. Nectar isn´t a very good Opeth song and TBYF simply blows. Where as orchid was diverse MR is repetetive and strung out (much like Deliverance). On top of this MR has the poorest production of any Opeth record.

Really where is the contest?

GR easily.

Hmm... it is VERY VERY close but I'll have to pick Morningrise. I'm not gonna talk about how this song is great or that song is great because those are all differences of opinion. I think GR is fucking amazing but Morningrise is.. I dunno, Morningrise. However if this poll was Still Life versus -All other Opeth albums- I'd say Still Life...

I go with GR because the songs are structured better than the songs on Morningrise. Both are amazing musically, but I prefer the song structure on GR.

Ikil

Mumblefood said:
TBYF blows?

jesus fucking christ. I swear some people are completely retarded.

Well it´s called an opinion. And if it´s so wrong then name me a more repetetive/slow/boring opeth song. The only one I can see that comes close is Wreath, and at least wreath doesn´t take 3 minutes before getting started.

Korlich said:
Well it´s called an opinion. And if it´s so wrong then name me a more repetetive/slow/boring opeth song. The only one I can see that comes close is Wreath, and at least wreath doesn´t take 3 minutes before getting started.
'

Not only did your initial opinion suck, but you made your opinions suck even more by dragging the vastly underrated Wreath down. Go get some ears.

Definately Morningrise.

Sure, GR shows more musical maturity but it doesn't compare in the emotional response I get from listening to Morningrise.
MR just seems to reflect more personal lyrics/moments where I stop in my tracks and think "damn.. this is deep". e.g., "am I like them?", "sunbirds...", "devotion eludes..."; wheras GR simply has more "wow these guys kick ass!" moments.

hope that made sense :p

I love both albums but I think the 'dual guitar' thing that is prevalent one morningrise can be slightly cheesy at times. Morningrise has some great songs no doubt but i think GR is (obviously) more mature in terms of style and progression. With age comes wisdom i guess. MR is amazing but yeah GR edges it because the riffs are much more structured and thoughtful. I know MR has an untouchable mood and the acoustic work is second to none, but GR seems to demonstrate a more mature and holistic approach to the acoustic/distorted interplay.

I just love the way Opeth reinvent themselves over and over again. I think thats the main thing here. Each album is like a snapshot of genius which characterizes a new approach to their music.