Moshing at an Opeth Show

Esoterik

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Why do people do it?

I'm sorry, but Opeth is NOT moshing music. Whenever I see them live I want to just stand there, headbang, and take in the experience that is Opeth live. You just have to watch them and feel every note...not go hurling into others in a vain attempt to prove your masculinity.

I went to the Philly show, and there were a number of people moshing throughout all of Opeth. Yes, this even includes the soft parts, which was beyond my comprehension. Moshing to other bands is fine, cause that's what their music is all about, but Opeth has such a high degree of musicianship that taking your focus off the music is a crime. I wish all the hardcore kids and college jocks that need to prove their masculinity would stay home or go to a hardcore show to do that shit.

I blame Devil Driver mostly. They shouldn't be on this tour...they bring hardcore kids to an Opeth show. They hear a heavy section and immediately assume its a signal to wildly run into eachother over and over!

Does this happen at most Opeth shows, or is it just a Philly/east coast thing?

Weeell I kinda agree. But well, some Opeth songs are really aggressive, and it brings out an aggressive feeling to .. the moshers. And well, Mikaels don't mind the moshpits, he even encourages it sometimes.

I have never been to an Opeth show, yet, but am seeing them in a month or so.. I'm expecting there will be abit of a mosh and am fine with that, looking forward to joining in. HOWEVER I think moshing to damnation is just pathetic, almost as lame as screaming out DEMON in the middle of a damnation song.. Moshing is just a fun way to release some energy while listening to some of the best music there is out there, the aggressive side of the music just makes you wanna go crazy. If you don't like it you really don't have to be near the front, if going to a concert is just about appreciating the music itself you can do that from a little further back.. it's not going to sound drastically different.. I think moshing is okay in appropriate songs, I've got no problem with people going crazy during demon of the fall but it may get a little pathetic in the acoustic middle of blackwater.

alan3827 said:
There were people moshing at the Damnation show I attended last summer.
kewl signature
happy0124.gif

Moshing during some songs is fine, it just irks me when people are doing it during softer parts.

I guess I'm just the kind of person that wants to head bang with the music and really pay attention to Opeth's musicianship. I get pissed when a pit breaks out near me and I can't move cause I always have to have an eye on it to avoid getting fallen on etc, which takes my attention away from whats going on up on stage.

heavy headbanging isn't enough energy? heh.. if you can't tell, i'm not a big fan of moshpits. if you want to do that, why not go to some crappy hardcore concert if you're not going to appreciate the music?

why do you think that just because YOU dont like moshing during opeth, no one has the right to? face it, you are not the god/satan.i moshed during every standing opeth show. i would even mosh during damnation show (during face of melinda), if it wasnt seated. feels good do it. opeth has the best mosh pits. not too rough (dying fetus, or god forbid) and not too wuss (the vapids). whenever i go to a standing, heavy concert, i know that ill be moshing. it doesnt mean whowever that i woulnt go to seated shows, if i love the band.

\m/ MOSHING \m/

If you don't like to mosh, try to stand a bit further back or right at the front or off to the sides. Sure, you don't get the best view, but you have to allow people to do what they want.

I have to admit that crowdsurfers piss me off cause if I'm watching the show I don't like to get hit in the back of the head by some person who just happens to be floating by.

IAmEternal said:
I have to admit that crowdsurfers piss me off cause if I'm watching the show I don't like to get hit in the back of the head by some person who just happens to be floating by.
That happened to a guy at the Opeth concert I went to. A crowd surfer's foot him in the head and he blacked out for around 30 seconds. The crowd surfer was nice though and apologized quite sincerely, but it would still suck to be blacked out for 30 seconds, especially while watching Opeth :Spin:

I used to mosh at all the metal shows when I was younger. I did mosh a bit the first time I saw Opeth, like during the heavy parts. But the last few times I've seen the band I like to watch them all play their instruments while I headbang.

I don't have a problem with other moshers. Getting kicked in the back of the head unexpectedly by crowdsurfers is the only thing that pisses me off.

You can mosh to Opeth. They aren't the most aggressive band in the world, but parts of the songs are easy to mosh to. Now Down on the other hand, I have no idea why people were moshing to them.

I dunno why people would prefer running into eachother over appreciating the musicianship on display. I understand that people enjoy moshing, but if you're doing it at Opeth it means you're not giving them the full attention they deserve.

If you need to prove your masculinity and how pissed off you are at the world, go to a hardcore show. If you want to appreciate great musicianship, go to an Opeth show.

I think at the Toronto show, Opeth got the least moshing out of the three bands. I saw the most during the Moonspell set (which was pretty cool, I don't mind those guys so much anymore).

I thought it was hilarious that the most crowdsurfing in any song of the whole show was probably in Windowpane. I saw a lot of people get dropped while crowdsurfing too. Serves them right, I say :p

When I saw Immolation/Vader/Origin/The Berzerker a couple of years ago no one moshed, as a matter of fact one fag who tried to start a mosh pit almost got his ass kicked just because of it.

I've noticed most of the moshing tends to be at the bigger bands concerts, where more trendy people go. Coincidence?

I have heard that shit like moshing was not known at all in Europe until a lot more recently than it was in North America. Was it completely an offshoot of American hardcore and stuff like that?