Most depressing song you know?

I don't call it "depressing" but let's say, ok, the most melancholic song I've listened to is "Lover's Grief" from Empyrium. Both the lyrics and the music are penetrating, the song is like a magical description of, well, "sorrow". Also there are many other Empyrium songs which are very "depressing", like Mourners or Ode To Melancholy or The Ensemble of Silence, or the acoustic songs like "Where at night the wood grouse plays" What I like about Empyrium is that it's not just "oh I am so sorrowful, I am crying..." but they use the language very good and their musical quality is very high, in my opinion.

Also some other depressing songs I like, from Lacrimas Profundere:
"Black Swans", "Without", "Helplessness", "Diotima", "Solicitude, Silence" and just the intro parts of "Enchanted and in silent beauty" and "Perfume of withered roses". These two songs have very beautiful intro parts but I don't like the whole songs very much.

One of the more depressing songs to me is OL's own 'The Beloved's Cry.'
That's about all I can think of, really. My tastes in music are generally pretty bouncy, if not wholly upbeat.

I agree with Unconscious, Empyrium's music is beautifully melancholic, and I do find much of it depressing, especially on Weiland. I also find a lot of Porcupine Tree songs to be quite depressing especially lyrically, like Stop Swimming, Prodigal, Feel So Low, etc. And of course lots of Anathema and Katatonia...

Dreamcell said:
MY DYING BRIDE - THE CROWN OF SYMPATHY
:worship: :worship: :worship:

My list of most depressing songs;
  • MDB-Whole Turn loose the swans album,and most of their other songs
    Katatonia-Whole Dance of december souls album
    All Empyrium songs..especially Fossegrim these days..
    October Tide-Losing tomorrow
:worship: :worship:

A few of mine:

Agalloch - The Mantle (it's one of those albums that has to be heard the whole way through)
Opeth - To Bid You Farewell
Evergrey - Trilogy Of The Damned
Dark Tranquillity - Insanity's Crescendo
Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever
Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

I think thats enough for now...

depressing hmmm::
watching over me - ICED EARTH
i died for you -ICED EARTH
black swans- LACRIMAS PROFUNDERE
for my fallen angel - MY DYING BRIDE
evil urge-ORPHANED LAND
grins again - savatage

Lacrimosa - Satura
Opeth - Hope Leaves, Windowpane
Anathema - Most of Judgement album
Salem - Winter's Tear, The Worst To Come, Ha'ayara Boeret (The last one brings em tears as I remember my school trip to Poland last year)

beh, top 5 with the first one to win em all
Joy Division - "Decades"
Joy Division - "Twenty Four Hours"
Psychotic Waltz - "My Grave"
Black Sabbath - "Solitude"
Solitude Aeturnus - "Mirror Of Sorrow"
Of course "The Beloved's Cry" deserves a place in the "sad song hall of fame", but the overall feeling in the end is kinda warm (thanx to the female vocals) so i cant mention it.

Orphaned Land - The Beloved's Cry is most depressing song that i heard..And the others must be Anathema - Shroud Of False,Opeth - Death Whispered On a Lullaby and from turkey Feridun Duzagac - Lavinia..

Here is the lyrics of Anathema - Shroud of False(it's kind of a intro song you know)we're just a moment in time
a blink of an eye
a dream for the blind
visions from a dying brain
i hope you dont understand..