Depressing Songs

Dream Theater - "Disappear" - "space dye vest "
Nevermore - "dreaming neon black" - "No more will" - "The heart Collector"
then lots of Anathema, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, The 3rd and the mortal songs..

Well, you've already mentioned these but I reckon
My Dying Bride- For my Fallen Angel and Queen - Who wants to live forever are truly sad.
and some other ones --
Cocteau Twins - The Thinner The Air
Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philladelphia
Empyrium - Where at Night The Wood Grouse Plays
Lacuna Coil - Falling
Tiamat - A deeper kind of slumber

cheers :cry:.

:cry: OMG!! So after I posted on Friday, I get in my car and slap in Anathema's Judgement. Track 7 comes on (Parissian Moonlight) and literally brought tears. I felt like such the wuss! hehe! Nothing really brings tears, the most it does is a lump in the throat, and even that's rare. Anyway..

Okay, I'll post some of beatiful sad stuff I was talking about! Gershwin's "Summertime" is my alltime favorite composition, but I don't know if really qualifies as sad or depressing, but it's extremely beautiful!!! The versions I like the best is the ones done by Ray Conniff's, Bob Tracy & seine grosses Orchester, Sam Wyatt's 1000 string symphony & Sissel Kyrkjebø (the best vocal version I've heard - the other mentioned are instrumental). I've actually never heard the original, but it would be hard to track it down as it's from the Broadway musical "Porgy & Bess" from 1935!! I have the soundtrack to the film version though (from '59 with Sidney Poitier!), but it sounds kind of opera-like on that one.
Anyway, Bill Withers' "Ain't no sunshine" comes in right after "Summertime". Really, really sad and beatiful. His version is still the best version I've heard!
I think Lee Hazlewood has done some superb stuff! His two songs "Lady bird" and "Summer wine" (dueted with Nancy Sinatra) are both superb, but in Virgil Warner & Suzi Jane Hokom's version they're much, much better. Both are absolutely fantastic!!!! Both among the 10 best songs I've EVER heard. I think I've mentioned these before, but as I said then you probably won't be able to find those two songs, as they have never been released on cd as far as I know.
Other songs I URGE you to check out are:
Teddy Wilson: “’Round Midnight” (SO much better than Thelonious Monk's original)
Marvin Gaye: “Mercy mercy me (the Ecology)”
Marvin Gaye: “What’s going on”
Marvin Gaye: “Life is for learning”
Geoff Love: “Theme from the Persuaders” (don't think this is availiable on cd - better than John Barry's original)
Procul Harum: “A Whiter Shade of Pale”
Procul Harum: “A salty dog”
Oscar Peterson: “Wheatland”
Oscar Peterson: “Hymn to Freedom”
Dusty Springfield: “Summer is over”
Dusty Springfield: “You don’t own me”
Stevie Wonder: “Golden Lady”
Stevie Wonder: “They won’t go when I go” (REALLY sad)
Stevie Wonder: “Sixteen tons"
The Animals: “House of the rising sun”
Jimi Hendrix: “Little Wing”
Lee Hazlewood: “Wait and see”
Lee Hazlewood: ”Forget Marie”
Lee Hazlewood: “The night before”
Lee Hazlewood: “What’s more I don’t need her”
Lee Hazlewood: “Bye babe"
Lee Hazlewood: “Friday's child"
Lee Hazlewood: “For one moment"
Lee Hazlewood: “Your sweet love"
Lee Hazlewood: “My autumn's done come"
Lee Hazlewood: “Come on home to me"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Paris Summer"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Summer wine"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Sand"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Lady Bird"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Some velvet morning" (Nancy sings out of tune on this!)
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Arkansas Coal (Suite)"
The Moody Blues: “When you’re a free man”
John Barry: “Midnight Cowboy”
John Barry: “Have you got a story for me?”
John Barry: “End title – Petulia”
John Barry: “He catches her”
The Strings of the Philidelphia Orchestra “Fantasia on Greensleeves”
Gabor Szabo: “Sealed with a kiss”
Dick van Dyke & Julie Andrews: “Chim chim cheree”
Grethe & Jørgen Ingmann: “Dansevise”
Shocking Blue: “California here I come”
Randy Edelmann: “Promentory” (from "The last of the mohicans")
Ray Conniff & Billy Butterfield: “A love is born”
Pee Wee Russell "Angel eyes"
Sam Clayton & His Orchestra "Yesterdays" (not the Beatles song)
Paul Mauriat "Over the rainbow"
Henry Mancini "A day in the life of a fool"
Beatles "While my guitar gently weeps"

And there's more! If someone comes up to me and asks me to recommend some good music, I'd recommend these songs over metal at ANY time!!! I think there's so much more in this sort of stuff than in metal. It's like Elton John said "Sad songs say so much" (althought that's a crappy song!).
By the way, I don't consider "Mother north" by Satyricon a sad song. If there's any black metal that's kind of sad I would say it has to be Burzum's "Det som en gang var" from "Hvis lyset tar oss", but this of course depends on the listener! Although My Dying Bride's "For my fallen angel" is a great song, it doesn't send chills down my spine, as the above mentioned does.
Check out the songs I listed, all really beatiful stuff, which I think can't really be created in metal!

Hey Board, i'd agree with you on some parts, it's a good point that you raise. There's a hell of a lot of emotion in non-metal genres, but then again, to someone like me, metal (and classical) is the pinnaccle of emotion and also in metal's case, extremity. Just the knowledge and fact that the material is written with time right from the soul and performed so skillfully is an aid to the sincerity in the energy and meaning that is transferred through the music. Although to me not everything is metal, metal is certainly everything in that although I enjoy listening to other kinds of music, i'd readily discard it all to keep what there is in metal. Blah.

I'll discard songs with sad emotion and that try to deliver a message with lyrics or clever, emotive instrumentation. I'll say for a fact that anything by Abruptum completely destroys any good mood I might have before putting it on.

I think maybe the reason why I can't really find beatiful stuff in metal is because metal has more or less always been built on power, energy, agression and grimness. There are a few metal songs that comes close to this special feeling/mood and they are:
Theatre of Tragedy "On whom the moon doth shine"
Theatre of Tragedy "...a distance there is..." (I wouldn't call a piano, vocal & cello metal though...)
The 3rd and the mortal "Why so lonely"
The Gathering "Leaves"
Type O Negative "World coming down" (the quiet part where he sings "How quickly pass the days..." and it just gets better with those gregorian chants on top.)
Type O Negative "Bloody kisses (a death in the family)" (in the end where he sings "Don't die...on me")
Opeth "Dirge for Novembre" (the lead guitar riff when the distorted guitar comes in!)
And a song by The Abyss which I don't know the name of.

I think that's about it! The only reason why these come a little close (but not close enough though!), is because they're built on the mood instead of aggression and energy. Although I think Marduk's "Panzer division Marduk" is a good record, I find absolutely NO beauty in that record. I can't find beauty in beats that go 250 bpm, distorted guitars and screaming. I find power, aggression and good riffs, but no beauty.
This also shows how different we are. If I had to chose between music like the songs I posted and metal, I would give up metal at any time. Some years back I ONLY listened to metal, but only listening to one type of music has been kind of restricting to me. A couple of years back a music teacher I had at school told us about this special feeling (like when I hear "Summertime" for instance) and he had gotten that from music and I couldn't relate at all to what he said as I only listened to hip hop at that moment. Now I can fully relate!
When I listened to metal I kind of had beatiful songs, but now they more seems like a kind of weak replacement for something better. Not saying that they're bad songs or anything, but "For my fallen angel" by My Dying Bride falls 234.546.657 miles short of Virgil Warner & Suzi Jane Hokom's "Summer wine". I have the My Dying Bride cd and I like it and has done so in the last 5-6 years or so, but when I heard stuff like "Summer wine" beatiful metal songs didn't stand a chance!
By the way, the Abruptum stuff I've heard ( some of a song called " De Profundis Mors Vas Consumet") started out very spooky and got destroyed by some hideous noise!!! I like spooky moods, that's why I listen to Type O Negative (and they're probably my favorite band), but they don't give me that feeling of beauty and sadness (except for the minor stuff mentioned above). This is why Lee Hazlewood is my favorite artist at the moment. Even though he hasn't done a lot of uptempo crap, I'm more or less certain that when I buy one of his records I will bet some of this superb sad and beautiful music (if you count out his first record, maybe the second (haven't heard it) and his last couple of albums from the 70's and the stuff he did in the 90's.). Even though there's usually 2-5 superb songs on his records and the rest is indefferent, I'd rather pay $25 dollars for a record like that, than $25 for a record of sheer brutality.

Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah"
I was once a major fan of Jeff Buckley. I borrowed his cd "Grace" and I was like "Goddamn!!! This is a superb record!!" and I often reffered to the title song as one of the 10 best songs I've heard!! I taped the record over and listened to it every time I was driving. When I finally got my hands on the LP (I'm a vinyl freak), it had tired me so much that I didn't play it more than once! I think I got the record around a year ago and I haven't heard it since. I also borrowed "Sketches (for my sweetheart the drunk)" and I thought it was very good too (although the demo songs suck big time!!) and "Everybody here wants you" was almost as good as "Grace" (the song). When I finally got my hands on the LP it was the same thing; play it once and put it on the shelf! This was around 1/2 year ago, so I actually kind of new that I would only play it once after I bought it.
I still think they're both good records, but I doubt I'll ever play them again.I don't know what it is, but if you take a look at that list I posted, there's one song from 1981 (Marvin Gaye "Life is for learning"), one from 1984 (John Barry "He catches her"), one from 1985 (John Barry "Have you got a story for me") and one from 1992 (Randy Edelmann "Promentory"). Besides those four the newest song is from 1974 (Stevie Wonder "They won't go when I go"). There's a few from the early 70's, but either than those it's all 60's and before that. I don't think the music today can stay good and beatiful that long. Buckley did the trick, but tired me quickley. Somehow music from the 80's, 90's and the new millenium just is to indefferent in a way. If I find something that I like from that period I more or less always get tired of it quickly (unless it's metal, Hedningarna or Dead Can Dance). I can't put my finger on what it is, but I just don't think music today has the same quality that it had in the 60's (and before). What will be remembered from the 90's and the new millenium in the future? Even though no one here listen to Britney Spears (probably) and all that stuff, I think you will agree that Britney, No Doubt, Eminem, Destiny's Child, Nelly and so on is forgotten in 20 years. Today you can walk out on the street and ask anybody to sing a Beatles song - 40 years after that came unto the scene. You wouldn't be able to do that with 90's music in 20 years. If somone will remember stuff from the 90's, there will most likely be a minimal demand for the stuff. Look at The Beatles. People today are willing to pay thousands of dollars for their records, even though they're one of the best selling groups of all time. In 20 years Britney Spears' cd's will be in all second hand shops over the world for practically no money!
It's not that I'm prejudiced against new music or anything, but if go into a second hand store and look at a record from 1967 and a record from 1997, I will no doubt buy the record from '67. The chances are that if I find something on that record I like, I'll be listening to it for a long time. If I find something that I like on the record from '97 (except the three things I mentioned), I'll grow tired of it in no time! It's sad that I can't go into a record store and buy a new record. I have to go look for some obscure record from the 60's to find some good music. :cry: Of course all this also depends on taste, which is different. Enough of that. It got pretty long.