Most Depressing Song Ever

in the relam of "heavy" music, quite easily something by devin townsend. perhaps Bastard, or The Deathof Music, or Planet Rain...lots to choose from.

Porcupine Tree also have some really depressing stuff.

I find a lot of Mastodon songs depressing-March of the Fire Ants especially. I dont know what it is, but that riff at the start is so immensley heavy, lol maybe it just brings a tear to my eye cos its so fucking METAL!!!

also some Tool songs, mostly from the Undertow album (the whole first half of it)

Neurosis must be mentioned aswell...

a few Converge songs...the song "Jane Doe" especially

I guess r.e.m and radiohead too

J.S. Bach (The boroque one) - Air on G String, a gorgeous arrangement of vilions, a viola and a cello - one of my all time favorites.
Nevermore - The Sorrowed Man (though the words are uplifting its a wonderfully depressing tone with great guitar riffs.
Sentenced - The River

Bah, you people have all missed what is easily the saddest, most depressing song EVER:

Puff the Magic Dragon.

Undeniably!!!

The End of The Innocence by Don Henley...what could possibly be sadder than the transition from the wonder of childhood to the harshness of reality?
But a more-than-honorable mention goes to Type O Negative for 'Red Water(Christmas Mourning)'

Hmmm....

Alice In Chains- Nutshell
Fates Warning- The Road Goes On Forever
Joe Satriani- Thinking of You

ffanatic said:
The most depressing song I've heard was something by Nick Cave (though the name escapes me), from the Murder Ballads CD.

I agree with you in that. And I was surprised that it took this long for someone to mention Nick Cave.
I'd pick Nick Cave's Where the Wild Roses Grow or maybe Radiohead's Creep.

For personal reasons, Iced Earth's Melancholy ( Holy Martyr )

If personal reasons were not taken into account, I'd actually say Bloody Kisses ( A death in the family ) even though there is some Anathema that would come close.

I love Our Farewell by Within Temptation... I cry every time I hear it.

:worship: The Odyssey by Symphony X :worship:

Call me crazy but the last lyric really gets me...

Seems like forever, that my eyes have been denied
Home, I'm finally home
I've been twenty years away from all I ever knew
I have returned to make my dream come true...

:cry:

Agalloch - In the Shadow of our Pale Companion
Anathema - One Last Goodbye
My Dying Bride - The Crown of Sympathy
Nevermore - The Passenge
Opeth - Windowpane
Mourning Beloveth - Narcissistic Funeral
Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Dream Theater - Space Dye Vest
Vehemence - The Last Fantasy of Christ (musically at least)
Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace
Devin Townsend - Suicide

and now for the mother of all depressing songs

Pain of Salvation- "King of Loss"

END of thread.